Gibson Brands Forums

1974 LP 20th Anniv. Custom

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone can help me with deciding to bid on this guitar. I have been searching for this exact model and think it might be a good deal.

Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-20th-Anniversary-/290870587895?pt=Guitar&hash=item43b93cf1f7#viTabs_0

Looks amazing, and the price seems right. But what about the truss-rod cover plate, looks a bit weird?

Yes, I thought so, too, but I've noticed a few similar plates like that on similar aged models. Also, the pics really don't have the detail and clarity I was hoping for. I can't see the base of the headstock, to see if there is a volute or not. Although I'm not very concerned with the bent one, the tuners don't appear to be mounted straight. it almost looks like the back of the headstock may have been refinished at some point and the other pics aren't bright enough or close-up enough to get a good look at the details of the finish on the rest of the guitar either. I'm wondering if there could've been a repair done. The one pic that was close-up enough to see a bit of finish detail where the control plate was removed, there almost looked like overspray on the binding, close to the jack plate.

Archived