Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom shop lespaul Pelham blue

Nando BluZ

That model appears to be one of two things: It can be 1.) A 1968 Reissue Les Paul Custom (I'm pretty positive that was a VOS Model) or 2.) If it is brand new, it could be a Les Paul Custom in a custom colour. Right now, there is a run of 25 Customs in Pelham Blue but that colour is antiqued with means that it may have more of a greenish cast to it. There have been a few runs of the Pelham Blue over the years (Atleast according to my understanding). Unless it is specifically a 1968 Reissue, it is probably your run-of-the-mill LP Custom.

Hope this helps!!

Bobby

EDIT: Post Script: After reviewing the pictures again, that is more-than-likely a regular custom in a custom colour.

EDIT: Post Script: After reviewing the pictures again, that is more-than-likely a regular custom in a custom colour.

Yep; serial number, Nashville bridge - regular Custom.

2011, most likely still with ebony fretboard .

Guest Farnsbarns

It's hard to say if its a VOS finish from the pics. My guess is that it is, I'm going by the aged pickup covers but spanking new looking tail piece and bridge. Something I see on a lot of VOS guitars. Why they can't age the bridge and tailpiece to match I don't know.

VOS is simply a thinner, harder, less shiny lacquer coat and slightly aged hardware. It is also cheaper than gloss. It can also be polished to look like gloss. The pups can be polished up using the planet waves fret polishing paper too.

Here´s a pic of very likely the same model, with similar ser.No.,

the VOS treatment on the stopbar can be seen better:

gib_lpcpelhblue4.jpg

EDIT: in fact, VOS is not even a lacquer, it´s just some sticky gunk with lots of mojo [tongue]

Guest Farnsbarns

gib_lpcpelhblue4.jpg

EDIT: in fact, VOS is not even a lacquer, it´s just some sticky gunk with lots of mojo [tongue]

Sticky gunk on hardware which is supposed to look like, and promote, tarnishing AND a thinner lacquer, with less plasticiser and the final buff is omitted. Hence it's cheaper than the same model in gloss, less work.

Hello! No, it's not a R.I., but seems to me, - from the condition of the hardware - that it's got the V.O.S.-treatment.

There were two Pelham Blue V.O.S. Les Paul Custom reissues: the '57 R.I. and the '68 R.I. It's neither. If it was a '57, then it should have plastic tulip pegheads, the '68 should have kidney-shaped ones, and reflector pot knobs.

It is this one: http://www.rockpalace.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-Pelham-Blue-VOS

Cheers... Bence

• 1 month later...

gib_lpcpelhblue4.jpg

OMG that is drop dead gorgeous! Davey like! [thumbup]

• 3 months later...

Loosen the strings and pull the neck pick up out of the cavity. Does it have a long neck tenon? If it does, then its a 68 Custom RI. If it doesn't, then it's a Custom. Doesn't get any simpler than that.

Yes it does. You just need to look.

As TomV said back in post #4, the Nashville bridge means it's not a re-issue.

Gorgeous guitar, though.

[thumbup]

P.

Can you guys help me to identify a gibson custom shop? I want to know if this gibson is a VOS or not.

Thanks in advance

https://plus.google.com/photos/112334302056602169996/albums/5834865216080719057

photos in this link ^^^^

This is a Customshop Les Paul Custom.....not a RI but built by the Customshop. It is probably not weight relieved like the regular USA models.

I would suggest that you contact Gibson with the serial number and get all the info from them.

...It is probably not weight relieved like the regular USA models....

You didn't check out the specs, I'm guessing, otherwise you would have seen this;

"...The body is (made) with strategically routed holes to lessen the weight of the guitar..."

With the exception of the vast majority of Re-Issues, from approx 1982 until the arrival of the 2013 Traditional ALL LPs have been weight-relieved in one form or another.

P.

• 1 month later...

Ok, between the Pelham Blue with black plastics and chrome hardware, and the multi ply binding and pickguard, that could be one of the best looking guitars I've ever seen..........totally different look, but 100% classy.

NHTom

Archived