Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for info on this Steinberger 12 String

Jordan Zevon

I'm hoping to get some information on my Steinberger 12 string. Model # and possibly manufacturing date. I know that it's at least 12 years old. Beyond that I haven't been able to find any info or photographs of this particular model. When people see it I get a lot of oohs and ahhs, but no one seems to know much about it or even have a guess to what it would be valued at.

It plays beautifully and other than a scratchy volume pot is in perfect condition. Any input would ne much appreciated!

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

I'm hoping to get some information on my Steinberger 12 string. Model # and possibly manufacturing date. I know that it's at least 12 years old. Beyond that I haven't been able to find any info or photographs of this particular model. When people see it I get a lot of oohs and ahhs, but no one seems to know much about it or even have a guess to what it would be valued at.

It plays beautifully and other than a scratchy volume pot is in perfect condition. Any input would ne much appreciated!

You will find it on this site. Steinberger World

Hi Jordan,

congratulations, this is a very rare one. While Brent is correct (the knowledge is usually found on Steinberger World and the related forum), I may be able to give you some more information already here. However, you'll find me and many others over there, too.

It's a GL4-12A, built on June 13, 1991. It has an active HazLabs EQ (first version), with the tone knob having a center detent. We have a similar one in our Steinieland gallery, however, this is the GL2-12 model (H-H configuration) and without the active EQ. There are only about 100 Steinbergers (both GL and GM models) with the 12-string TracTuner bridge out there, so they sell at pretty high prices.

Bernd

Thank you so much!

I knew it was rare, but had no idea. Any suggestions on a fair price to start on ebay? It's completely impractical for me and I don't want to let it sit around. I'd rather put it in the hands of someone who'd enjoy it.

Well, I really hate this question... but I'll try my best. You should know that ebay is a strange place and prices may be wrong by ± $1,000. Given the rarity, I could imagine it sells somewhere up to $4.5-5k. If you're lucky, above that. There were a number of GLs recently (more "regular" 6-strings) that did NOT sell at prices around $3.5k, but one very rare hardtail GL-2 in perfect NOS condition sold for $5.3k. Price may vary with the condition of the guitar (scratches, dings, non-original parts etc.)

However, I might be completely wrong, and it doesn't sell (anywhere near this price). Just because nobody has the money right now. Then there is a high probability that Don Greenwald (HeadlessUSA) will get in touch with you, I'm pretty sure he's interested in that guitar as well. As you can see on the linked list, he already has two white GL4-12 in his shop. Maybe he also buys it on ebay... I'm pretty sure you're going hear from him. You can simply ask him before putting it on ebay. Be aware, he's a dealer, and he wants to make money with this deal. Nothing wrong with it, but he won't pay the price a collector probably pays. But maybe you have less troubles with selling it, and that's also a good thing.

And finally, one more thing you could (or should) do - maybe before asking Don - is going over to the Steinberger World Yahoo group and ask for offers. This is the "last resort" where Steinie enthusiasts meet and a very knowledgeable place.

Keep me updated about your progress. If you're going to put it up on ebay directly, don't start below $4k (or have a reserve there)[smile]

Bernd

Archived