Gibson Brands Forums

What do you play for fun?

solacematt

So the other night I had my iTunes on shuffle whilst cleaning out my closet and a song came on and I was like, that sounds fun to play. Than it hit me that I haven't actually learned or really played other people's music in quite a while. Anyone notice that as you get older, or have a band of your own playing originals that you very rarely learn or play other people's, even your favorite band's music very much? Kind of feel like I spend so much more time on coming up with new ideas and songs and don't play any of the dumb fun stuff anymore. How about ya'll?

I don't play outside the house much anymore, ao all my pickin is for fun. I still play along with albums and cds and recently I discovered Pandora Radio on the net, Pandora is an online radio station that lets you customize what you are listening to...I like to play along with the blues, classic rock, bluegrass and some guitar driven stuff from the 90's. I bought a Tascam CD-GTmkii last year to travel with. I can take my headless, Tascam, headphones and some CDs with me on the road and play through my headphones in hotels wherever I am. It's all fun.

I recently came across guitar backing tracks and its so cool with these things. Some are out takes of real famous bands like S Vai and some are recorded by smaller unknown bands. So basically you have a tune without the guitar' date=' it helps to work up the chops for practice.

http://www.freshbt.com/

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

[/quote']

OMG!

That is the coolest site! Thanks for the link. :)

There are loads of songs there that I never got to play with a band. Now I can. :)

Ain't life grand?

Well I've got down about every Alex Lifeson song as best as I can a long time ago, so then I moved on. I've been doing a lot of recording but I still like to play other people's music. I'm in a SRV mode these days. I'm also trying to split my time between piano and guitar (just finished recording a piano jazz version of Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer for fun). But I don't think I'll ever stop playing other people's tunes no matter how much recording I do.

Archived