Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood Fingerboard: Treatment and Care

Ignatius

Hey all--

I have recently come across several comments in various places about treating and caring for rosewood fingerboards, all of them featuring all sorts of contradictory information (i.e., concerning oiling, cleaning, etc.). As someone who has never owned a new guitar with a rosewood fingerboard, I have never received care instructions from a guitar maker. But I do have an ES-125 with rosewood. What do you all do with your rosewood fingerboards? Is there any truth to the thought that regular playing does enough to keep the board in shape?

And does one need to do anything with ebony fingerboards? I have a Larrivee with an ebony fingerboard, and it never occurred to me until now that it might need some care as well.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Ignatius

http://www.reranch.com/ Ignatius try this site. My wife took my girls to the Spice Girls concert so that loud playing will be from my house

Enjoy the evening' date=' time to play

Mark[/quote']

I'm glad you warned me. I was getting out all my stuff to go to a concert (metal t-shirt, lighter, practicing my headbanger moves) and getting the guys together to go see the crew making the great music we heard. Then I saw your email and realized you probably wouldn't want all of us to bother you at home.

Besides, once we knew it was you, we knew the sound was coming from twenty miles away anyway.

Ignatius

Yea, I think I finally nailed---- Smoke On The Water!

Mark

I looked forward to last night, just me, dogs and guitar, But I had one of those ( I sound like crap nights). and called it an evening.

Tonight the house will be full of kids and I'll sound like Frampton. Go figure.

Archived