Gibson Brands Forums

coil tapping fun...

:oilpit:

In my ongoing effort to overhaul my les paul I now want to coil tap it, and possibly a full JP wiring kit.

I called my luthier and he said that they can do all the wiring there, no need to drop 100 bucks on a JP wiring kit from RS or similar.

So from

here

Which would work best?

I hear 500K are best for buckers.

Thanks...

500K for les pauls, I find it odd that most of the people I talk to about this seem to think all gibsons come with 500K pots for volume stock. While it should be done that way, the USA line comes with 300K for volume... so upgrading them to 500K is the first and most important thng to do if you want to mod it.

I insist you should try those lr baggs bridges later... good luck with your mods man.

Good deal, few more things

If I get 4 PPP (yay acronyms!) do I use the same ones for the volume and the tone?

and do I need to buy any other goodies, wiring or caps or something

Thanks a bunch

By January my paul is gonna be so badass, just wait

and I looked into those acoustic bridge things, they seem cool but I'm hesitant to cut and drill and such.

P.S. almost forgot about AXE, thanks, I have been learning from the best...

Thunder and Jesse

you may want to consider different caps. Perhaps not the $45 bumblebee caps, but Spragues would be good. For my taste, I went with a 47mf on the bridge pickup because in single coil mode it cut more highs, but I left the neck at 22mf.

Ask the guy doing the work what he thinks.

Archived