Gibson Brands Forums

Dylan on writing songs....

onewilyfool

He's such a fickle interviewer- I feel like you never know who you're going to hear from, whether it's an interview from '64 or the present. That one was a little sad because he said he can't keep up with the songs he's done. But he doesn't give himself credit- he can still write really amazing songs (Tempest is a great album). It's like any artist that ages, there's obviously transformation and a little bit of melancholy, but Bob's still got enough to say and has (always and still) a great way of saying it.

I love this guy. He's as real as you can get. Kind of like he's not sure he's a big star, etc., or why he's one. I'd enjoy seeing someone who is a director of one of these outfits that teaches people how to write songs sit down with Dylan. I suspect that on many things Dylan would be the complete opposite of what is currently being taught.......There was an interview of Dylan and Cash, years ago. It tends to destroy all deep thought theories that great songwriters supposedly go through. Cash was insisting (both of them were laughing) that Dylan wrote the song "Wanted Man." Dylan said Cash helped write it, because Cash had a line in his head about "had all that I wanted of a lot of things I've had and a lot more than I wanted of some things that turned-out bad." Dylan told Cash he could use the line (even though it didn't fit with what the song was originally about) and Cash told him "it's your's." Dylan said the line was awesome and he knew he had to use it somewhere in the song, so he did because he liked it, and for no other reason......These people are often so unassuming and ordinary. Cash was just a country boy and Dylan a city boy and they both like singing and writing. Fairly intelligent people, but not rocket scientists. More than anything, they were/are "real." I don't profess to understand every song in Dylan's prodigeous catalog of songs, but good God, the man can write. He's doesn't try to baffle the interviewers with long-winded quotes or big words. Dylan is Dylan.

He's such a fickle interviewer- I feel like you never know who you're going to hear from, whether it's an interview from '64 or the present. That one was a little sad because he said he can't keep up with the songs he's done. But he doesn't give himself credit- he can still write really amazing songs (Tempest is a great album). It's like any artist that ages, there's obviously transformation and a little bit of melancholy, but Bob's still got enough to say and has (always and still) a great way of saying it.

Every time I see Bob interviewed I get the impression that he's the only one who's getting the joke.

I think it was Ramblin' Jack that said Dylan could sit down with a notebook and write those 10-12 verse songs like someone was whispering in his ear. Scratch out a word here and there. I know I'm not the only one here who has tried to memorize one.

I've also heard a producer say Dylan would stay at the music stand all day in the studio writing and rewriting lyrics. Either way he wrote some brilliant stuff

I think he was brilliant. But I also would have not liked to have been Bradley in that interview. Dylan came off as rather unlikable, as well as not all that interested in the interview, glimpses into his life, etc. And that is his prerogative. But then why do an interview on the most watched news program worldwide in the first place?

For a different spin, go watch any Chris Isaak interview. Of course Dylan is in a different league in terms of song writing, but at the end of the day he is an entertainer and a story teller. What is so bad about telling your story, and doing so with a smile?

Example:

I think he was brilliant. But I also would have not liked to have been Bradley in that interview. Dylan came off as rather unlikable, as well as not all that interested in the interview, glimpses into his life, etc. And that is his prerogative. But then why do an interview on the most watched news program worldwide in the first place?

For a different spin, go watch any Chris Isaak interview. Of course Dylan is in a different league in terms of song writing, but at the end of the day he is an entertainer and a story teller. What is so bad about telling your story, and doing so with a smile?

Example:

The thing is this interview (it is much longer than the snippet that was posted here) is the best interview I have EVER seen of him. In this one, he seemed to be ONE HUNDRED PERCENT honest, not toying with the interviewer, which he has done in his prior interviews. They wanted to make him the Messiah and so, he just jerked their chain mercilessly. The man is a genius. Truly, a genius. I love a lot of writers but nobody has EVER come close to what he has written. It's truly mind-boggling. Just today, on my two hour drive to another city, I listened to a tribute album to him by various artists on his 60th birthday, over ten years ago. Some cool covers on there.

He is eccentric, brilliant and FAR more likeable than you might think. Have you ever heard his satellite radio show? The guy is a hoot and I tell ya, this man knows music history like you wouldn't believe! I am so in awe of him! You know... he blew the minds of all the other artists back in the early days with what he was writing. Why? Because it truly is incredible writing. He rewrote the book on songwriting. This guy changed songwriting bigtime. As someone on that tribute album said, he made them believe that anything is possible in songwriting. It was a major paradigm shift in music when he came along.

I respect all of your respect for the man. I respect him too. I saw the whole 16 minute interview. And many others as well. Dylan was a chameleon throughout his life. He was never consistent in my opinion. He toyed with the media, and he toyed with many others too. Is he a genius? You bet. I have a ton of his songs in my playlists I listen to all the time.

So no offense to any Dylan fans. Especially you Blind Boy Grunt.

Edited to add that enjoy his son's music too. Give Jacob a listen. He is real good with imagery. Having been at ground zero on 9-11, he had a lot of songs that hit me well. Newer solo stuff is pretty good too. He does some neat stuff with Neko Case.

Lyrical Genius

Nothing else to say....

"Subterranean Homesick Blues"

By Bob Dylan

Johny's in the basement

Mixing up the medicine

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government

The man in the trench coat

Badge out, laid off

Says he's got a bad cough

Wants to get it paid off