Gibson Brands Forums

The Firebird - 6 months down the road

E-minor7

It has definitely loosened up and now provides a more instant response, which is very important for me.

All in all the bond is growing and the rather slim neck, the 1.725 nut-width and the fairly low action makes a fine square 1.

The action also gives the guitar a slightly rougher sound, which I think is needed as the maple can be a drop too siruped – (not as much as a Dove though).

So this is a home-recording done with 'my' keyboard player on extreme sparse equipment last Saturdaynite.

Around New Year we had a thread asking for the 2013 ambitions. My contribution was a plan to improve the idea of a more free thumb.

The playing here shows a bit of what that was about, , , , I think.

Enjoy – and feel free to comment

https://soundcloud.com/#nitebeach/the-many-sides-of-you

https://soundcloud.com/nitebeach/the-many-sides-of-you

The Link did not work for me Em7

i had to delete the # from the address before the 'nitebeach' then i could go to your page.

Anyway..excellent stuff... the Firebird sounds really warm and loose..as does your playing.

couple of questions: is that you singinging? and who's song is it ?

thanks for sharing

well..thats one of the finest performances i have heard here ..love that kind of stuff

the song is first class..... I actually went searching for it on google,,haha

your a very talented song writer Eminor7

singing ..excellent..really got ya style down for this..recording is excellent also..

your the Dark Horse of the forum thats for sure.. really good stuff

we want more

Thank yous folks for the positive response – really made it a pleasure to post.

Must say I hear a bit too much reverb from this PC, for some reason not so in the cans.

As heard, the F-bird is a rather fat voiced creature and one have to take care. This is only my third recording with the guitar and I chose to keep the old strings to withhold. Martin ph. b. 12-54 from the 12th of December it is.

BluesKing777 - We recorded very straight. One Neumann TLM 103 P48 in the right position takes both vox and guitar straight to a PC – a touch of reverb and a small amount of compression is used – the latter to keep sudden attacks and expressions down.

As said, this is a home recording due to an idea about experimenting here in the temple instead of in the studio – especially the keyboard-player/engineer simply needs an alternative environment and as the ideal host, I serve the honey-tea, wine and lite up candles.

Dark it is - not more than a few diffuse electric lamps are glowing.

To be here also means he only has a mini-keyboard at the size of a telephone-book. It is placed on his knees and I wonder how his fingers can hit those micro-keys.

In this case I just started to play – gave him no chords, but told him where to set in. He played a more conventional role in take 1 so I asked him to put a bit more destiny to it (as that's what the song is about). With him doodling around, we recorded 4 takes and went for #2. As planned, I dubbed the fragile ooooh oooh's to give them a slightly 'wooly' flavor (and yes EA, could have needed Del there, especially in the second half vague round).

Then while listening back a last time, I discovered a problem. . . The word 'power' was oversung and came on too dramatic. K-player couldn't hear it, but I was certain. Solution was to focus on the guitar-pattern, emulate it and play/sing along, then punch in for that point only. This took 3 or 4 attempts and some editing.

Decided to keep a few other weak spots as they were – weren't goin' for perfect.

The song was written Mon and Tuesday and brought 'on tape' the following Saturday – good fun. In other variations, I have kept them hidden for years before they see light.

That was about it – thanx again guys

From 2011, here just after I got it in late summer '12 - TheFirebirdfirst-Sep2012.jpg

Kept out of the case, it's slowly becoming darker - A thing to look forward to.

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread. Why?

To coax and goad the man to share more. If you haven't listened through his Soundcloud, you are missing out.

https://soundcloud.com/nitebeach

Oh... and Russo's for some reason also had this same Firebird for sale yesterday for $1900. Moving stock that was not selling. Maybe that is the specimen that should have come home with me.

Reviving an old thread. Why?

To coax and goad the man to share more. If you haven't listened through his Soundcloud, you are missing out.

https://soundcloud.com/nitebeach

Oh... and Russo's for some reason also had this same Firebird for sale yesterday for $1900. Moving stock that was not selling. Maybe that is the specimen that should have come home with me.

You should have brought that one home, Sal!

Em7's soundcloud channel (nitebeach) has some really superb material on it.

Archived