Gibson Brands Forums

The Firebird - 6 months down the road

E-minor7

Nick... I cant think of a better thing to try and cover. The Many Sides of You is superb.

However, I could never hope to capture what he did - the original author. Sometimes things just shouldn't be copied.

I am trying to write more stuff. It doesn't come easy to me, although I wrote my first ten songs in thirty years , just this past year. I have been just playing covers of other people's work. But it's weird; I have no qualms about trying to put my spin on a Springsteen song, or a Ryan Adams song, but I feel trying to cover something of a colleague, fellow amateur... like any one on this forum... would be dishonest.

Nick... I cant think of a better thing to try and cover. The Many Sides of You is superb.

Oh thank you, TSal, it's really appreciated. I would lOVE to hear your version of The Many Sides of You, that's for sure.

The Firebird is still a grand and impressing guitar around here. It's always out of the case as I want that top to take on a warmer hue and it's played nearly every day - often after midnite where the - to my ears - mellow maple is ideal.

The strings are old, but it suits the big deer fine as new steel almost becomes overwhelming. The woods are becoming looser all the time and the response will end up excellent.

Still when it comes to maple, the Dove gets more attention in this period. After the lacquer clicked off and the neck-sanding could unfold, it has been a hit.

The neck and action is close to perfectos and the thing has become slightly rougher sounding, still so smooth to play. The bass is tremendous and I experimented with the high E and B pins yesterday - bone/wood.

Went back to bone for all 6. Adds that extra edge which again suits the very opened up soft sounder so good. .

The Firebird is still a grand and impressing guitar around here.... it's played nearly every day - often after midnite where the - to my ears - mellow maple is ideal.

Thanks for sharing that, EM7. I thought I was a bit daft (and I probably am) but my Hummingbird seems to sound so much better after 10 pm. Don't know if it's an atmospheric thing or just the sheer naughtiness of it being played late at night with a neighbor who would call the landlord if I sneezed.

FMA

Thanks for sharing that, EM7. I thought I was a bit daft (and I probably am) but my Hummingbird seems to sound so much better after 10 pm. Don't know if it's an atmospheric thing or just the sheer naughtiness of it being played late at night with a neighbor who would call the landlord if I sneezed.

FMA

FMA

The amount of alcohol or other substances consumed late in the evening can also have a profound impact on the perceived sound of your guitar. Sometimes good, sometimes not so.

The amount of alcohol or other substances consumed late in the evening can also have a profound impact on the perceived sound of your guitar. Sometimes good, sometimes not so.

Definitely - have to say The Acoustic Monk doesn't drink or smoke on ordinary evenings.

This is my white whale right here ... Moby **** !

I need to find a lefty

Don't know if they ever came like lefties, but why not. .

There was one in a TV-Bird burst on the Bay a few years back.

Interesting enough, but not the 'right' blend if you ask me. .

Yeah yeah ... 'Ordinary evenings'

I only drink on days that begin with 'T'

Tuesday

Thursday

Today

Tomorrow

Thaturday

And Thunday

Ha, , , was just about to crack a minor joke about "then again, there's never an ordinary evening in the temple", when I wrote the holy statement above, but that would be untrue.

Believe it or not, I'm really a quiet vintage chap nowadays.

Most of the time. . .

Back to Firebirds

The performance and guitar sounded great. I would love toplay a Firebird sometime. I have not seen one here. It has some boom that theDove is missing. It sort of fills out the hollow spots in the Dove. Nice job all the way around!

chasAK

Ha, , , was just about to crack a minor joke about "then again, there's never an ordinary evening in the temple", when I wrote the holy statement above, but that would be untrue.

Believe it or not, I'm really a quiet vintage chap nowadays.

Most of the time. . .

Back to Firebirds

Probably called 'old age setting in'.....

The old joke here is they give you a tambourine and set you to play it in the religious brass band.....

BluesKing777.

Probably called 'old age setting in'.....

The old joke here is they give you a tambourine and set you to play it in the religious brass band.....

That won't happen soon - haven't even begun gassin' for a small-body guitar. .

Archived