Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Low-Impedance Guitars Club

btoth76

Hello Tiho!

My guess is '71, but that's just a guess.

Please refer to this for further information: http://home.provide.net/~cfh/pots.html

Also from Woody's site: "It may be possible to further estimate the year of your guitar by looking at the bottom of the controls (volume, tone, etc.). In the one pictured here, the numbers read: 70-982 and 1377314. Using the longer number (1377314), the inference is that this part was made during the 14th week on 1973. The "137" indicates the manufacturer of the potentiometer (aka: "pot")." (Source: http://www.rlinwood.com/family_webpage/linkpages/music/LPR/LPR_Master.htm)

Good luck!

Cheers... Bence

• 3 weeks later...

Grog,

Take a close look at the control plate:

NEW FEATURES

The ability to change each of the pickups from "Stacked HB" to "Single Coil" should bring a whole new dimension, especially to the "out of phase" sounds. The "Ground / Lift" switch is also new to the LPR. It's something that Les probably used but was not included on the original Lo - Imp Instruments.

The pickups have obviously been re-designed because the originals were two conductors only.

The lack of a "Tone Switch" is (to me) a step backwards because it was the HEART of the original guitar. The switch with it's three positions coupled with the Decade, the pickup selector and out of phase switch allowed easy access to at least six clearly defined preset sounds.

DG

Hi Dave, I didn't notice that........... I was wondering about the Low Z Lift/GRND switch? To reverse polarity? The guitar has two jacks like the version Bence has, it wouldn't need a high/low switch in that case, unless one was a balanced XLR jack?........... It doesn't give that view. Doesn't it look like a standard Les Paul body size? I always liked the separate "Bass" & "Treble" controls, I agree that combining this into a standard "Tone" switch is a step backwards. Being able to adjust the "volume" of each pickup might improve the mix a bit.

George

Hi Dave, I didn't notice that........... I was wondering about the Low Z Lift/GRND switch? To reverse polarity? The guitar has two jacks like the version Bence has, it wouldn't need a high/low switch in that case, unless one was a balanced XLR jack?........... It doesn't give that view. Doesn't it look like a standard Les Paul body size? I always liked the separate "Bass" & "Treble" controls, I agree that combining this into a standard "Tone" switch is a step backwards. Being able to adjust the "volume" of each pickup might improve the mix a bit.

George

George,

I think that we are talking about different things?

The "TONE switch" I refer to is the 3 way switch with the Black Knob (originally) with positions marked 1, 2 and 3.

As far as I can see here we still have Bass and Treble - it is the "Tone Switch" (1, 2 and 3) which is missing.

DG

George,

I think that we are talking about different things?

The "TONE switch" I refer to is the 3 way switch with the Black Knob (originally) with positions marked 1, 2 and 3.

As far as I can see here we still have Bass and Treble - it is the "Tone Switch" (1, 2 and 3) which is missing.

DG

I guess we were talking about two different things. The three position "Tone" switch is missing also. It looks to me that the knobs are "Volume" "Decade" "Volume" "Tone". It's hard to read the "Decade" knob, it might say "Tone" also. Instead of trying to recreate the original, they have created a new model. I wonder what Lester would have said about the changes............... [confused]

P.S. After a second look at another view, the "Decade" knob is plainly marked "Tone". This could be an early prototype, just to get a few pictures out there, so people start ordering. Using existing knobs....... Time will tell.......

I guess we were talking about two different things. The three position "Tone" switch is missing also. It looks to me that the knobs are "volume" "Decade" "Volume" "Tone". Instead of trying to recreate the original, they have created a new model. I wonder what Lester would have said about the changes............... [confused]

I think that they have incorporated things into this that were not obvious on the later LPRs that he used at the Iridium. You would not be able to tell if Les had used modified PUs with Coil Tapping?

The lack of the three position Tone Switch is puzzling.

I'm not sure about the other controls - they mention DECADE so it is more likely to be the original configuration of Volume, Decade, Treble and bass.

DG

It mentions this also........

"Low-impedance pickups for direct recording convenience

Les Paul paved the way for recording guitars, and his idea of the perfect instrument included low-impedance pickups that could be plugged directly into a mixing console. The Les Paul Recording II features these same unique pickups, with a lo-Z/hi-Z toggle for changing the output impedance. You can connect directly to a microphone preamplifier in lo-Z mode, or connect to your favorite amplifier in hi-Z mode."

That switch looks different also.

P.S......... According to AMS, it is expected 12/28/13..........

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPRC-LIST

"Low-impedance pickups for direct recording convenience

Les Paul paved the way for recording guitars, and his idea of the perfect instrument included low-impedance pickups that could be plugged directly into a mixing console. The Les Paul Recording II features these same unique pickups, with a lo-Z/hi-Z toggle for changing the output impedance. You can connect directly to a microphone preamplifier in lo-Z mode, or connect to your favorite amplifier in hi-Z mode."

It makes you wonder which model they are refering to?

This re-issue is about as far away from my 1972 LPR as it is possible to get.

DG

It makes you wonder which model they are refering to?

This re-issue is about as far away from my 1972 LPR as it is possible to get.

DG

Hello Dave and George!

Good question!

When we were speculating on how this new model will look like, I had a strong feeling that won`t be like anything before. I am sad to say, I was right. Even though, the guitar is beautiful, - sure it is, it`s an upper-range Gibson, - but I am wondering about the specs. They said, it will be based on Mr. Les Paul`s personal guitar... but on which one exactly?

Best wishes to You Dave and George! Happy new year to You and Your families!

Cheers... Bence

Hello Dave and George!

Good question!

When we were speculating on how this new model will look like, I had a strong feeling that won`t be like anything before. I am sad to say, I was right. Even though, the guitar is beautiful, - sure it is, it`s an upper-range Gibson, - but I am wondering about the specs. They said, it will be based on Mr. Les Paul`s personal guitar... but on which one exactly?

Best wishes to You Dave and George! Happy new year to You and Your families!

Cheers... Bence

Bence,

Check out Grog's Link HERE

This suggests that it has been withdrawn?

"Sorry, the Gibson Les Paul Recording II is no longer available. We've left this page up for reference only. Check out the great alternatives on this page or call toll-free (800) 222-4700 to speak with a Sweetwater Sales Engineer about similar products".

DG

It looks like it is still available at other stores, Sweetwater might have had pre-orders for it's allotment?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPRC

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPRC-LIST

Also, I was eyeballing this Les Paul Jumbo that sold on eBay yesterday. They are extremely rare, & usually have neck issues I'm told. It was tempting............ [unsure]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Les-Paul-Gibson-Electric-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar-in-Original-Case-Very-Rare/390729102661?_trksid=p2045573.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D298%26meid%3D3706287501196508746%26pid%3D100034%26prg%3D1079%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D331037030120%26

Hello!

As it seems, the Walnut didn't went into production. Not even listed on specs page: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Recording.aspx

"An Innovative Concept Updated for 2014" - a highly accurate title. Much better than "based on Mr. Les Paul's original instrument" :D

After all, it's a nice guitar, but I would rather call it "V.III", and forget the marketing banality of refering to something untrue.

Cheers... Bence

• 2 weeks later...

After blogging with an individual that actually bought one & taking another look at Gibson's info on the Les Paul Recording II, It's looking like the pickups might be high impedance and converted to low impedance by the Jensen transformer. The guy that bought it really liked it upon first impression. It doesn't have a "Decade" control & I was sort of surprised for him to say that the pickups were high impedance........ I can't find any reliable source that says any different...............

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Recording.aspx

Hello George!

As it seems, these new ones are operating in the opposite way. According to the specs: "A high-quality Jensen audio transformer converts the signal to a balanced low-impedance output".

Having no "Decade" and "Tone" control takes away it's essential abilities. Hm. :-k

Best wishes... Bence

Hello George!

As it seems, these new ones are operating in the opposite way. According to the specs: "A high-quality Jensen audio transformer converts the signal to a balanced low-impedance output".

Having no "Decade" and "Tone" control takes away it's essential abilities. Hm. :-k

Best wishes... Bence

I can't believe that they would be that stupid?

Les's concept was for the instrument to be essentially a Low Impedance instrument which could be used with an amp by using a t/f.

All of the various incarnations have worked that way. If they are promoting this as a Les Paul Recording that's the way it has to be.

Otherwise it is simply cosmetic.

Wait until these things are available for checking. I don't suppose anyone has seen a schematic yet?

DG