Gibson Brands Forums: Gibson Low-Impedance Guitars Club - Gibson Brands Forums

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson Low-Impedance Guitars Club Les Pauls, L5-S', Basses.

#221 User is offline   boogiedude 

• Group: Members

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:01 AM

Hi George,

I also noticed that the schematic gives the impression the transformer is incorporated into selector. There are variable transformers available so it's possible Gibson did that.

As I expected your measurements indicate the extra windings needed to match high impedance added extra resistance, so something is definitely not right.

I have wondered if the guitar electronics had been modified. But I admit I am leary of taking everything out. Mainly because of friend of mine warned me about taking the electronics out of a 1960's Silvertone/Harmony guitar and the nightmare getting it all back in through the f holes. If I go that far I will probably hire someone to take care of it.

By the way. Saw the pictures of your low impedance collection. Very nice.

Thanks for taking time to get the resistance values. That helps a lot.

Walter

#222 User is offline   Grog 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:29 AM

Hi Walter,

You might be able to get a better look by taking the bridge pickup out, that should give you a larger opening to see through & take things out if it comes to that. I think the block of wood in the center of the guitar is routed out on the control side, but not 100% sure. Getting the pots and jacks out & back in can be tricky. Some people tie string around the posts, I've had luck using the right size shrink tubing, pushed on the knurl post after the knob is removed. It grips tight, pulls the pot back in straight & you can slip the nut & washer on over the shrink tubing.

Good luck,
George

#223 User is offline   boogiedude 

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

Hi George,

Great suggestions. I will try those out.

Walter

#224 User is offline   boogiedude 

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:07 PM

Hi George,

Your measurements definitely point to something odd in the wiring of my guitar.

I took measurements with a 15' Hosa balanced low impedance cable. I only get readings across pins 1 and 2, not 2 and 3 as yours is. My readings are 13.9 ohms and I get the same reading no matter what the level settings are at.

Another thing odd is using the same balanced cable through my Behringer mixing board seems to work (I get volume).

Not sure if I will tackle this further or bring it to an authorized repair person to have it looked at. I am retired so I obviously have the time just not sure if I won't the frustration.

Your ideas to fish things back through make sense though and I have watched several videos of how to put things back in so I may give it a try.

Thanks for you help,

Walter

#225 User is offline   Grog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:51 PM

Hi Walter,

Most authorized repair people likely have never seen one of these, few would know how to fix one (other than techniques to getting things apart & back together). I'm no expert by a long shot either. It almost sounds like something might be shorting out some contacts on your Level Control switch. It might have came loose & was retightened 180 degrees or so from where it was intended to be. Maybe you could just loosen it & try turning it gently & see if it works............ Might be a bare ground wire causing the trouble.

George

#226 User is offline   Chuck E 

• LocationMaine

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:12 AM

Cool vintage case candy for sure!

View Postdaveg, on 03 April 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

Just to keep things going, here's the original LPR Demo recording which shipped with some of these guitars.

LPR Demo

DG

#227 User is offline   jgudy13 

• LocationSo Cal

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:08 AM

View Postbtoth76, on 19 March 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

Hello! So, here is my 1978 Recording. Stamped on 1st of February.

Posted Imagevery nice

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've found a site called "Woody's" on the net (maybe You did, Grog recommended it?). There are many people with such instruments. Even found a guitar stamped on the very same day as mine. http://www.rlinwood..../LPR_Master.htm

Cheers... Bence

#228 User is offline   boogiedude 

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:47 AM

Hi George and everyone.

I put my Les Paul Signature into Ron Pace Guitar Repair in Houston. I gave Ron a copy of the schematic and he is working hard to get the wiring corrected but is having difficulties.

He discovered the guitar had been rewired as I suspected. One thing he noticed was there was no stereo jack, both were standard. There was a broken cap also.

Has anyone that owns one of these ever went through the wiring or taken pictures of the wiring with a camera? Ron said the wiring is tricky and he was wondering if anyone has done this before to help point him in the correct direction.

Thanks,

Walter

#229 User is offline   Grog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:06 PM

View Postboogiedude, on 07 September 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

Hi George and everyone.

I put my Les Paul Signature into Ron Pace Guitar Repair in Houston. I gave Ron a copy of the schematic and he is working hard to get the wiring corrected but is having difficulties.

He discovered the guitar had been rewired as I suspected. One thing he noticed was there was no stereo jack, both were standard. There was a broken cap also.

Has anyone that owns one of these ever went through the wiring or taken pictures of the wiring with a camera? Ron said the wiring is tricky and he was wondering if anyone has done this before to help point him in the correct direction.

Thanks,

Walter

Hi Walter,

I did work on part of one about 15 years ago. I just remember it taking me a month to get up the nerve to disassemble the few things I had to take apart to fix it. I have no photos, but I do have a parts list. It does have a few values, many things are Gibson Part #'s which is of little help...........
Posted Image

Hope this might help find something,
George

#230 User is offline   boogiedude 

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

Hi George,

Thanks for the information. I chatted with Ron. He found a replacement for the rotary phase pot. He is still working through the wiring but feels he can figure it out.

I will post again when the work gets completed.

Walter

#231 User is offline   boogiedude 

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:06 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a request from Ron Pace. He wanted to know if someone could take picture of their LP Signature wiring.

Using either a mirror or snake camera. Or if someone in the Houston area has a LP Signature I happen to have a snake camera and could take the pictures myself.

Thanks,

Walter

#232 User is offline   Grog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

View Postboogiedude, on 03 October 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

Hello everyone,

I have a request from Ron Pace. He wanted to know if someone could take picture of their LP Signature wiring.

Using either a mirror or snake camera. Or if someone in the Houston area has a LP Signature I happen to have a snake camera and could take the pictures myself.

Thanks,

Walter

Hi Walter,
Checking out a local vintage dealer's webpage, I ran into this......
http://www.williesgu.../3/inventory/22
It looks like they had to rewire it like a normal Les Paul & knowing Nate, he kept the remaining original parts with it.
He may have what your looking for out of the guitar if it hadn't been totally butchered up by it's previous owner. They might be willing to photograph it.
Might be worth a shot to have Ron talk to whoever did the work on it, even though they were unable to bring it back to original specs.
George

#233 User is offline   btoth76 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:37 AM

Hello!

Does any of You have a dysfunctional low-Z pickup in perfect aesthetical condition for sale?

I would like to replace the plastic cover of the bridge pickup on my Recording as it has some scratches.

Well, seems to be an impossible quest. Anyways, I thought I would ask.

Thank You!

Best wishes... Bence

2010 Gibson LP Studio 50's Tribute GT - 2011 Gibson LP Classic Custom AN - 1978 Gibson LP Recording WB - 2011 Gibson L6S SB
2016 Epiphone Les Paul ES WR
2010 Fender FSR Standard Ash Telecaster Butterscotch Blonde (Baja modded)
- 2013 Fender American Special Stratocaster SG
Böhm-Regent amplification

VOX Wah V845 - Ibanez effects - Zoom MS-50G - Stereo Tremolo Pan - EP Booster - Diablo Plus
Bayus straps (http://bayus.eu)

#234 User is offline   Grog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:15 AM

View Postbtoth76, on 07 October 2015 - 02:37 AM, said:

Hello!

Does any of You have a dysfunctional low-Z pickup in perfect aesthetical condition for sale?

I would like to replace the plastic cover of the bridge pickup on my Recording as it has some scratches.

Well, seems to be an impossible quest. Anyways, I thought I would ask.

Thank You!

Best wishes... Bence

Hi Bence,
This eBay seller had these that they were selling as build kits with a red plastic bobbin. They sold many NOS Gibson items from the Kalamazoo plant. It is possible that they were for the Triumph Bass, but I believe it was for the guitar. It's hard to say if they have any more laying around.
http://stores.ebay.com/greatdealz1967/
Also, Gibson made them again for the Les Paul Recording II (Iridium). They look like an exact match. You can see if Gibson could sell you a couple.............
Good Luck,
George

#235 User is offline   btoth76 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:32 AM

Thank You, George!

Unfortunately, this eBay seller seems to be out of business. :(

Best wishes... Bence

2010 Gibson LP Studio 50's Tribute GT - 2011 Gibson LP Classic Custom AN - 1978 Gibson LP Recording WB - 2011 Gibson L6S SB

VOX Wah V845 - Ibanez effects - Zoom MS-50G - Stereo Tremolo Pan - EP Booster - Diablo Plus

#236 User is offline   boogiedude 

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:16 PM

View PostGrog, on 03 October 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

Hi Walter,
Checking out a local vintage dealer's webpage, I ran into this......
http://www.williesgu.../3/inventory/22
It looks like they had to rewire it like a normal Les Paul & knowing Nate, he kept the remaining original parts with it.
He may have what your looking for out of the guitar if it hadn't been totally butchered up by it's previous owner. They might be willing to photograph it.
Might be worth a shot to have Ron talk to whoever did the work on it, even though they were unable to bring it back to original specs.
George

Thanks for the information George. I sent an email request to them to see if something is available.

Walter

#237 User is offline   Grog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:39 PM

I bought a Wifi Borescope. It's sort of awkward, but I made an attempt to take some photos of the Impedance Level switch on the Les Paul Signature guitar.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image2mbl.jpg.html]Posted Image[/URL]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This photo is of the Phase Switch.

Posted Image

#238 User is offline   lonesomeagle1 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:10 AM

Looking through this topic and realized i never posted
Here is my "Honey"
Posted Image

1969 LP Professional
Bought in '73 for $250 with the original case

One man gathers what another man spills...

#239 User is offline   btoth76 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:39 AM

Beautiful! [smile]

Cheers... Bence

#240 User is offline   btoth76 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:49 AM

Hello!

Browsing through the Sam Ash pages, I've found an L5-S with low-impedance pickups. It's in New York City, if someone is interested:

http://www.samash.co...sed-ug0153297-p

Cheers... Bence

Share this topic:

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users