Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Low-Impedance Guitars Club

btoth76

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi George and everyone.

I put my Les Paul Signature into Ron Pace Guitar Repair in Houston. I gave Ron a copy of the schematic and he is working hard to get the wiring corrected but is having difficulties.

He discovered the guitar had been rewired as I suspected. One thing he noticed was there was no stereo jack, both were standard. There was a broken cap also.

Has anyone that owns one of these ever went through the wiring or taken pictures of the wiring with a camera? Ron said the wiring is tricky and he was wondering if anyone has done this before to help point him in the correct direction.

Thanks,

Walter

Hi George and everyone.

I put my Les Paul Signature into Ron Pace Guitar Repair in Houston. I gave Ron a copy of the schematic and he is working hard to get the wiring corrected but is having difficulties.

He discovered the guitar had been rewired as I suspected. One thing he noticed was there was no stereo jack, both were standard. There was a broken cap also.

Has anyone that owns one of these ever went through the wiring or taken pictures of the wiring with a camera? Ron said the wiring is tricky and he was wondering if anyone has done this before to help point him in the correct direction.

Thanks,

Walter

Hi Walter,

I did work on part of one about 15 years ago. I just remember it taking me a month to get up the nerve to disassemble the few things I had to take apart to fix it. I have no photos, but I do have a parts list. It does have a few values, many things are Gibson Part #'s which is of little help...........

LPSig%20Parts%20List_zpsc4hgxazj.jpg

Hope this might help find something,

George

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I have a request from Ron Pace. He wanted to know if someone could take picture of their LP Signature wiring.

Using either a mirror or snake camera. Or if someone in the Houston area has a LP Signature I happen to have a snake camera and could take the pictures myself.

Thanks,

Walter

Hello everyone,

I have a request from Ron Pace. He wanted to know if someone could take picture of their LP Signature wiring.

Using either a mirror or snake camera. Or if someone in the Houston area has a LP Signature I happen to have a snake camera and could take the pictures myself.

Thanks,

Walter

Hi Walter,

Checking out a local vintage dealer's webpage, I ran into this......

http://www.williesguitars.com/index.cfm/gibson_electrics/3/inventory/22

It looks like they had to rewire it like a normal Les Paul & knowing Nate, he kept the remaining original parts with it.

He may have what your looking for out of the guitar if it hadn't been totally butchered up by it's previous owner. They might be willing to photograph it.

Might be worth a shot to have Ron talk to whoever did the work on it, even though they were unable to bring it back to original specs.

George

Hello!

Does any of You have a dysfunctional low-Z pickup in perfect aesthetical condition for sale?

I would like to replace the plastic cover of the bridge pickup on my Recording as it has some scratches.

Well, seems to be an impossible quest. Anyways, I thought I would ask.

Thank You!

Best wishes... Bence

Hello!

Does any of You have a dysfunctional low-Z pickup in perfect aesthetical condition for sale?

I would like to replace the plastic cover of the bridge pickup on my Recording as it has some scratches.

Well, seems to be an impossible quest. Anyways, I thought I would ask.

Thank You!

Best wishes... Bence

Hi Bence,

This eBay seller had these that they were selling as build kits with a red plastic bobbin. They sold many NOS Gibson items from the Kalamazoo plant. It is possible that they were for the Triumph Bass, but I believe it was for the guitar. It's hard to say if they have any more laying around.

http://stores.ebay.com/greatdealz1967/

Also, Gibson made them again for the Les Paul Recording II (Iridium). They look like an exact match. You can see if Gibson could sell you a couple.............

Good Luck,

George

Hi Walter,

Checking out a local vintage dealer's webpage, I ran into this......

http://www.williesguitars.com/index.cfm/gibson_electrics/3/inventory/22

It looks like they had to rewire it like a normal Les Paul & knowing Nate, he kept the remaining original parts with it.

He may have what your looking for out of the guitar if it hadn't been totally butchered up by it's previous owner. They might be willing to photograph it.

Might be worth a shot to have Ron talk to whoever did the work on it, even though they were unable to bring it back to original specs.

George

Thanks for the information George. I sent an email request to them to see if something is available.

Walter

• 1 month later...

I bought a Wifi Borescope. It's sort of awkward, but I made an attempt to take some photos of the Impedance Level switch on the Les Paul Signature guitar.

IMG_1841_zps2laqcdur.jpg

IMG_1839_zpsv1vkrecm.jpg

IMG_1838_zps0r8pmqfg.jpg

IMG_1836_zpssrlg2mba.jpg2mbl.jpg.html]IMG_1837_zpsv88f2mbl.jpg[/url]

IMG_1840_zps9kdfo7zg.jpg

IMG_1835_zps4ixevzgf.jpg

IMG_1834_zpsdywlwgif.jpg

This photo is of the Phase Switch.

IMG_1842_zpshhb0fabr.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Grog,

I expressed an interest in the Low Impedance nature of the ES355 (in a letter) and he was kind enough to mail me the photo. The guitar was a one-off and never went into production.

Bence,

The finish reminded me of the "Crest" which I have seen a few times.

Crest

The Inlaid Marquetry on the back tends to suggest that the Mottola Guitar was a modified "Crest" and not an ES355.

The Crest had no pickup routing because its pickups were the Johnny Smith variety. The plain top would then have been easily routed for the Low Impedance pair. Added to this the Crest was a fully hollow body design with no centre block making the routing easier.