Gibson Brands Forums

Favourite guitar player!

Mantoocha

Simply name your favourite guitar player, easy as pie.

I'm looking for new names, not just stating a popular name like Vai, Jimi, Malmsteen or Rhandy Rhoads, explain why do you love their sound among everyone else.

I simply love how Timo Tolkki plays and his solos, i mean his sweep picking technique and I found a lot of feel in his riffs and solos like in Blackout or Phoenix. Almost the only power metal band that I enjoy is Stratovarius, too bad that timo left [-X

Hard to say as I really don't have any favorites. I'm more influenced by songs and bands as a whole. Guitar players who I do like a lot are Greg Ginn, Akira Takasaki, Malcom Young, Chuck Berry, Ron Wood and - sorry - the two Jim(i)mys, Hendrix and Page.

Akira Takasaki, is that the guy from Loudness? Don't know much about them except I saw them open for Motley Crue in 80 something. Couldn't understand a thing they sang, but the guitar player smoked Mick Mars, no doubt.

Edite: A bit of trivia, I remember hearing that he OD'd after the show that night. Don't know if it was just a rumor or true.

I don't have one farvorite player either. It depends on my mood, but most of my top list would be the regulars. There's a reason why the same names always pop up. They're awsome players with great songs. i'm sure I could come up with some obscure great player that maybe 10 people have heard of, but if they don't have songs that appeal to anyone other than guitar players I don't put them on my list. Example, Alan Holdsworth. Supposed to be one the the all time greats according to fellow guitarists. I tried listening to some of his songs and was completely bored.

Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins. He's known for playing a strat, but the sound of the band is created by the dynamic of a Les Paul and a strat that's been modified to sound like an SG. It's not your standard stock rock guitar sound either. It's a lush wall of sound that really fills everything up. It's heavy in it's own way, not like the typical metal heaviness. A lot of his songs are comprised of a combination of using full open chords matched with power chords by the second guitar and the solos, though are semi proper, are done in a non-typical way. Very out there and completly screwy.

Akira Takasaki' date=' is that the guy from Loudness? Don't know much about them except I saw them open for Motley Crue in 80 something. Couldn't understand a thing they sang, but the guitar player smoked Mick Mars, no doubt.[/quote']

None of them actually speak English although the singer learned some of their songs in English.

Yeah, Akira RIPS:

1984:

2007:

Brian May.

Gary Moore.

In that order, they are the best IMO.

I find Andy Summers and Bob Marley's playing and techniqe very interesting, challenging and weird (in a good way).

As for my favorite bands (which I listen to most of the time) Iron Maiden (all time favorite), Judas Priest, Nightwish, Angra. But I wouldnt place theyr guitarists amongst the best of all time... they are just fast that's all... and some of them (i.e. Angra) I just get tired of too soon, and Ive seen some unedited footage and most of them screw up a lot and then edit the stuff out. Just makes one think they might be human... :'(

Since probably most of you have no idea who Greg Ginn

Didn't he have a huge hit with "The Breakup Song"? You know.... "They don't write 'em like that anymore...."

Kidding of course. Some of us here are old enough to have liked to Black Flag, Rich. Ginn was a very ingenious player, IMO - and certainly one overlooked in guitar circles.

Brian May.

Gary Moore.

In that order' date=' they are the best IMO.

I find Andy Summers and Bob Marley's playing and techniqe very interesting, challenging and weird (in a good way).

As for my favorite bands (which I listen to most of the time) Iron Maiden (all time favorite), Judas Priest, Nightwish, Angra. But I wouldnt place theyr guitarists amongst the best of all time... they are just fast that's all... and some of them (i.e. Angra) I just get tired of too soon, and Ive seen some unedited footage and most of them screw up a lot and then edit the stuff out. Just makes one think they might be human... :'([/quote']

Kiko Loureiro is definetely fast, but if you listen to his work in "No Gravity" or "Universo Inverso" you may also find his feelings into his speed. Many ppl judge speed players for having no feel, and most of them don't (Yngwie, or the chinese guy from DragonForce whose name I find impossible to remember). But great virtuosos such as Vai make you feel what they mean, or some others make you rock like no other, and that's making your music amazing, by flooding it with feelings.

Listen to Evil-Dog and you'll hear the best instrumental Punk Rock ever (I found it through internet, by a really silly guitar game like Guitar Hero lol, but its definetly worth hearing). They may not go further than pentatonic scales, but who cares they rock like hell.

Archived