Gibson Brands Forums

1958 LP Standard

Alan Blackburn

Hi there,

New to this but here goes....recently purchased a truly clapped out guitar, manky, grimy, dirty; it weighs 11lbs and has a serial number which is barely visible suggesting it is a 1958 LP. The pick up cavities are full of years of accumulated muck and dust, the condition of the finish suggests it's been through some wars and generally it is in poor condition.

However, it plays like a dream! My brother has a 2010 LP Standard so we played one against the other at all sorts of different settings and volumes. In all instances "the wreck" sounded better, greater sustain, better action, more mellow, better tone so we concluded that it may possibly be an original. I've sent some photos of it to Gibson (Europe) but have yet to receive a reply.

Maybe some of you with greater experience than I can shed some light on this. I would be very pleased, whatever the outcome, to get some sensible feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1958LP.. first no matter, if you are happy and you enjoy what you have and feel that you paid a fair and honest price enjoy and use it to play... from the pictures which makes it a little difficult it appears as if you had some one hand paint it with a brush

if you truly wish to authenticate it I would look to take to a Vintage shop near your location.. there are indeed several Gibson-non Gibson's out there especially since the value of vintage guitars has reached the level they are at.. it is indeed easy to acquire the vintage pickups knobs etc..as several are now re manufactured by third party or to pick up pieces to build.. IF indeed it is an original 58 ,it does have a few signs that I would question until someone authenticated it..HOWEVER AND THE BIG HOWEVER if you are pleased and you prucahsed it as a player and your not one of these wall hanger types enjoy it don't question it and Play the hell out of it..*)o(*b

Hi there,

New to this but here goes....recently purchased

Sorry bro, it is too late, no matter what that thing is. One thing I'm pretty sure of, it is not a 1958 Les Paul, and I hope you didn't buy that from a "friend".

rct

My, My. That's as good an indication as ever I've seen as to why Strawberry Jam must ALWAYS be kept out of the reach of small children.

Yet again, it would seem, some scallywag is trying to sell you fraudulent goods. Aren't you the unlucky one?

[-X

Report them to the police. What they are trying to do constitutes a criminal offence on at least two counts.

If you are still in touch with them then you should tell them so. And give them back that lump of wood.

I'm not 100% certain but I suspect even owning counterfeit goods is an offence.

They say things usually come in threes. Shall we be expecting another one?

P.

My, My. That's as good an indication as ever I've seen as to why Strawberry Jam must ALWAYS be kept out of the reach of small children.

Yet again, it would seem, some scallywag is trying to sell you fraudulent goods. Aren't you the unlucky one?

[-X

Report them to the police. What they are trying to do constitutes a criminal offence on at least two counts.

If you are still in touch with them then you should tell them so. And give them back that lump of wood.

P.

He did this relic job himself. Just check his profile.

Thanks buddy. I am happy with it because of its awesome sound. Would be nice though if it was the real thing!!

1958LP.. first no matter, if you are happy and you enjoy what you have and feel that you paid a fair and honest price enjoy and use it to play... from the pictures which makes it a little difficult it appears as if you had some one hand paint it with a brush

if you truly wish to authenticate it I would look to take to a Vintage shop near your location.. there are indeed several Gibson-non Gibson's out there especially since the value of vintage guitars has reached the level they are at.. it is indeed easy to acquire the vintage pickups knobs etc..as several are now re manufactured by third party or to pick up pieces to build.. IF indeed it is an original 58 ,it does have a few signs that I would question until someone authenticated it..HOWEVER AND THE BIG HOWEVER if you are pleased and you prucahsed it as a player and your not one of these wall hanger types enjoy it don't question it and Play the hell out of it..*)o(*b

I wish I was that good!!

No-one, in my humble opinion, would have spent the time adding and applying the gunk that's in all the cavities (you wouldn't believe how mucky it is!) and how does it manage to produce such a sweet tone?

He did this relic job himself. Just check his profile.

Cheers Pippy, you're probably right, I always had a sweet tooth, however, there is a nagging feeling within me that it may actually be genuine. Not one of the postings has explained in any detail exactly why it isn't.

I acquired it from a musician who has been a session man all his working life (and his Google/Wikipedia profile confirms this) and he told me it had been used, kicked around, left, picked up again and discarded as not worth the trouble or time of renovating. Looking at it now, I tend to agree with him! Ah well............I'm going to take it along to an expert. Do you know any, in England? Cheers.

[-X

P.

Thanks buddy. I am happy with it because of its awesome sound. Would be nice though if it was the real thing!!

At least your happy and in the end I am sure you didn't pay the going rate for the guitar and as many people that are impressed with the BRAND and the vintage etc.. A true picker is interested in the sound and voice of the instrument, I have used Silvertones.. As well as MY own 64 Les Paul and MY 58 140 what matters is you get what gives you the best voice for the song your playing or the sound you need in the studio.. USE IT and forget the heritage...

Archived