Gibson Guitar Board: Hello from Bolton - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hello from Bolton

#1 User is offline   BassistOfBolton 

• Group: Members

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Hello all. As you may guess from the name I'm primarily a bassist, but before you yell, I own more guitars than basses. Last count was 11 with six of them guitars. I have an sg gothic and I bought an Epiphone standard Les Paul yesterday and I'm worried on authenticity. Anyway hello all, and anyone who's willing to help me regarding authenticating my new addition please let me know

#2 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hi and welcome to the forums.

what makes you question the authenticity of the EPI LP?

If you want some assists with that Epi, get some reasonably good (clear, in focus) pictures of the headstock front, back, and of the body, (front and back) the more details you post, the easier it will be for those that know the most about this help you figure it out.

on this forum, here's how to post pictures:
http://forum.gibson....to-post-photos/

#3 User is offline   BassistOfBolton 

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:14 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Only ones I currently have are above. My mate who sells gibsons in his shop said front and side, then saw your post this morning as I got into work so if above isn't enough I'll get more tonight

Reason I'm cautious is looking at the fret inlays they seem a bit off, some at angles, some not centre etc.

Also the code on the back is 10101513785, which I think means October 2010 China, but I can't find anything on the specific guitar

Any help would be greatly appreciated (even catch a glimpse of my Epiphone sg gothic in some pics)

#4 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:05 AM

perhaps a bit of QC was avoided on the inlays.

the block inlays are hand cut (afaik), so it would not be unusual there would be a few small inconsistencies.

The little things that usually call out a fake tho, look to be in order to me. (we try not to post what those are)

and what was the ball park price that you paid? that could be another point of ref.

Maybe you could post this in the Ephiphone Electric Guitar forum where a wider audience will see it.

Good luck
/Ray

#5 User is offline   BassistOfBolton 

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

Price was around 200 gbp. Completely agree, don't post your checks.

Like I say it feels and plays lie I'd expect, it's just the minor things that worried me like the fret inlays and lack of information about this specific one online

I'll still upload more images tonight but thank you for your input and I'll try post elsewhere as you suggest

#6 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostBassistOfBolton, on 26 March 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

Price was around 200 gbp. Completely agree, don't post your checks.

Like I say it feels and plays lie I'd expect, it's just the minor things that worried me like the fret inlays and lack of information about this specific one online

I'll still upload more images tonight but thank you for your input and I'll try post elsewhere as you suggest

ya man, that sounds in line with what I would expect.

and just for the sake of clarity - the place I was referring to is here: http://forum.gibson....hone-electrics/

but I think you're ok. you could always look up the serial number here:http://www.guitardaterproject.org/

but - as would be the case, the fake would probably sport a compliant serial number - but it may give you more info.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users