Reputation: 179 Good
- Active Posts:
- 3893 (1.14 per day)
- Most Active In:
- Gibson Acoustic (3408 posts)
- 26-December 07
- Profile Views:
- Last Active:
- Yesterday, 04:05 PM
- Member Title:
- Advanced Member
- 69 years old
- June 28, 1947
- Independence, Missouri
- playing with the grandkids, grilling, HO railroad, music......I play a lot of different places in the KC area. Pizza parlors, coffeeshops, bars, libraries, farmers markets, parks...anywhere they won't arrest me. I write a lot of my on material, but also do many cover songs. And I really like Gibsons and Martins.
Topics I've Started
12 April 2017 - 09:10 PMAnyone here own one? Seems to be pretty rare. Saw one this morning. Sounds a lot like a Dove to my ears. Likely because it's spruce and maple. Big sound. Anyway, beautiful guitar. On the expensive side, but very, very nice.
06 April 2017 - 05:19 PMHere's a recent song of mine about a stripper. Played on my Southern Jumbo I posted a version of it the other day on YouTube and DuluthDan commented on it a few hours later (the guy is a glutton for punishment). Anyway, I changed it shortly after that. This version is close to what I want to say. Forgive me staring at the ceiling trying to remember the words for a lot of this song. https://www.youtube....h?v=VQV23hfLzbg
The Reason Your Mama Told You (not to go)
Got a story about this dancer. She's one sweet little honey.
She'll pretend that she loves you, if you've got the money.
She's raiser of hope. A razor for your wrist.
She helps us ol' married guys regret what we think we've missed.
Her favorites are rich college boys. She says they're not too bright.
They're sure she'll do what she won't, so she let's them think she might.
They give her all their daddy's money and they never understand
This filly wants more than a stud....she's lookin' for a man.
She's the mother of a 5-year-old. She's a fan of Johnny Cash.
She went to The School of Hard Knocks. She was first in her class.
She dances down at Wild Bill's where she puts-on quite a show.
She's the reason your mama told you not to go.
Her mama died giving her life. Her daddy lives "the drifter's code."
Being with friends and on her own about all she's ever known.
She had a baby at sixteen. The rest is pretty clear.
She did what she had to do to get them both to here.
Wive and girlfriends they don't like her, 'cause she makes their men cheat and lie
And in her wake she leaves a demon that cannot be exorcised,
But she don't want one of their men. She wants a man of her own.
That's why when it's 3AM she goes home alone.
Don't get your feelin's hurt, 'cause her little boy's on her mind. See, when you run out of money, she runs out of time.
Ohhhhhhhh......what she can do when they play Folsom Prison Blues,.
06 March 2017 - 10:17 PMBeen trying to catch-up on some reading from the last couple weeks. A few topics stand-out to me. These are just my opinions. They don't necessarily make me right and someone else wrong.
1. I hope BBG is still hanging-around. In the world where most everyone is focused on themselves, you need people like him. He's a solid guy. Kind of guy I could argue with, then laugh about it and play some songs with him. This forum would be a lesser place without him. There are several in here that fit that description.
2. If you don't like a thread, don't read it. Go to something else. It's not brain surgery. There are topics in here that I rarely, if ever take part in. I just don't read or comment on them. No need for me to complain about them. And why would I? Obviously others enjoy them.
3. I like the videos. Aside from enjoying them, they put a human face and personality on the "forum name." Keep posting them. I'll comment on them. I don't care if you're a complete novice or a pro. I like the performances and the discussions they lead-to.
4. Some people are continuously looking for something to be offended by. Say a quick prayer for them, then move-on and make your point. They're not bad people. There's just not a great deal you can do for them.
02 March 2017 - 06:30 PMHere's a quick review of my 2015 SJ Mystic Rosewood that I received right after Christmas. Dawned on me this last week that I've had it for two months and hadn't shown any pics or video of it yet. I guess life gets in the way of the things we want to do. Been busy-as-hell with family, guitars, playing gigs, and model trains. Family generally is the most time-consuming and the other three all kind of just fit-in where they can............ Anyway, this is a really super guitar. Very, very mellow. Ideal for the way I play and the music I perform. Not the loudest of my guitars (that's probably the Dove), but it's the equal of any of them when it comes to playability. I've been using it a lot lately. About 50% of my gigs, while the others have been sharing the time. After playing these last two months, I fully understand why so many people fall in love with this model. Of course, I can say similar things about all my Gibsons and this SJ is definitely one of them. Recorded onto an IPAD Pro, so the sound is what it is.
24 December 2016 - 01:01 PMLast night my wife saw me looking at guitars on the internet. Been doing that a lot the last few days. I was looking at this one on the GC site. She asked how much it was. I said it down to 2179 and I've still got almost 280 in credit that I could apply to it. She knows me well and started laughing and said "Then go ahead." So here's what I ordered. It's already gone from their site, so this is off of my account page. I hope it allows you to see it,. 2015 Southern Jumbo. The only bad thing is that because of it being Christmas weekend, it won't ship until Tuesday........Once I saw the back of it I wanted it. I'll probably play it backwards so people in the audience can see it.
Doug the O...