Gibson Brands Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Many thanks for all your replies, as Bigtim suggests, "something to think about". I am quite surprised by the weight of those newer Classics, considering they are weight-relieved, my old Classic Antique weighs between 7 and 7.5lbs.
  3. Today
  4. "Dancing with Myself" -- Billy Idol
  5. Swede living in Stockholm. Now owner of a Les Paul 50's standard cherry red and an SG Standard '61 Cherry red And a bunch of Marshalls, Oranges, Fenders and pedals.
  6. I’ll have the DoveBurst, any Mule you can whip up, and while you are at it bewitch me a three blink Nora Jones at the piano to duet with. Long duets.
  7. Hi all, I’ve recently done some work on a friend’s mid-2000s 12 fret Faith parlour guitar, a really sweet little instrument that was hamstrung by a busted OEM barn door pickup/preamp. I removed the original electronics, did a setup, polished the frets and made a cover for the barn door hole from some EIR veneer, and installed a DeArmond Tone Boss soundhole pickup at the request of the owner. Not only is it a really stellar little guitar that is very well made, resonant and has a neck that I could play for days, I was also really impressed by the Tone Boss. It has a microphonic quality and picks up some top resonance and air, has a decent output level (surprisingly strong for a passive pickup) and is really responsive to dynamic shifts and attack changes. It has a very different character to my Sunrise pickups, and is more in line with Baggs units such as the M1 and M80 in Passive mode. Considering the price (around £80 in the UK) relative to Baggs mags (around three times that for the M80), I’d say that’s a fair achievement from DeArmond. The volume wheel on the pickup is a nice addition too, I found the sweet spot was backed off from full by about 1/5th of a turn. Sounded really nice through my AER amps. Great for fingerstyle and a nice wash for strumming too. I’ve been meaning to try one of these out for a long time. I may well put one in my CF100 copy as I’ve repurposed the Sunrise in that for another guitar, at £80 it’s hard to argue with the Tone Boss for an instrument that’s going to be doing occasional duty!
  8. That is a beautiful Collection of Acoustics my friend.. I do hope we get the opportunity to meet up one of these days & do some Pickin’ & Singin’!
  9. The ones of mine that I do not play go away...so I always do some trading and buying. But after I bought my 57 reissue....well my other Les Pauls went bye bye.......however......I did get an SG 61 RI.........just so if I go jam with others.....or whatever I take it instead of my reissue custom shop one. Only you would be able to answer your question.....are you going to put it aside like your traditional since you have a reissue 58?? Something to think about
  10. Lol. Man that was great stuff
  11. rct

My Hero

Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead. rct
  12. Jane, you ignorant slot!
  13. Samarai Night Fever I would like to feed your fingertips to the wolverines.
  14. Yesterday
  15. That's a good looking set of square dreds there, Rob. My inspired by Gibson Hummingbird has confirmed that my next Gibson will definitely be a square!
  16. PrairieDog lets out a long appreciative whistle… great set!
  17. However I did really dig Brian Johnson vocal vibes on this jam.....
  18. Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance - Frank Zappa
  19. Cheeseburger cheeseburger!
  20. Those tend to gouge through the surface on of the fasteners. Especially if one plays hard. Eventually over time in any event. Me thinks Gibson ships some where you install it after delivery. ---- Most notable difference IMHO is the neck profile. Classic be more rounded and likely heavier. For me, rounded neck feels better and the weight, IMHO, adds to warmth.
  21. Nod, like I said, so far we’ve only done it twice, but I’m sure glad we did 😄 My version on loans is never lend money I can’t afford to give away. Then just give it if someone needs it. No strings. If they are hard up enough to need a loan, they don’t need more debt digging them even deeper. Sometimes I get paid back anyway, that’s nice, but not necessary. Debt to me is the worst thing in the world for both sides. And more often than not, just a few bucks to me is a lifeline or safety net to a precarious friend or rellie. I remember the generosities I was shown when I was in bad straits that made all the difference in getting me back on my feet. Gotta pay it back somehow.
  22. Based on my impression of your commentary and that you have an R8, I’d sell your Trad if it just isn’t being played. Put it up for a price you can live with to part ways and take your time for the right buyer to come along.
  23. And songwriting. I prefer UYI 1&2 to AFD. His solo stuff isn't my cup of tea. The riff to Die by the sword (was it?), maybe. The rest never stuck. But I hold him in high regard as a player.
  1. Load more activity