Gibson Brands Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. This will also melt the finish on a Gibson if left in place for a bit of time The nitro and rubber won’t react instantly, but I still wouldn’t recommend this method.
  3. That's basically what I do, except I usually do one side of the headstock, then remove and replace the strings on the other side.
  4. Wow thanks for listening to all them songs! You are correct on surmising my disdain for cellular tele-phony, a blight on society. I refuse to carry one in public or be seen staring at the tiny screen while repeatedly pressing on said tiny screen like a naked ape hoping for another banana pellet from the random machine (ok ok that's my cranky old man rant for the day... thinkyewvurrymush)
  5. Today
  6. Thanks for that- you are another forum member who inspired me to write some songs of my own
  7. Agreed, great technique and fluidity but almost like Android Data on Startrek playing it.
  8. Well thanks. I think it's a sign of the times that many folks past 50 are returning to their youthful passions of guitars and music. I will skirt around the brand issue by saying I recently acquired an acoustic-electric from the brand you mentioned. Hand's down, it's one of the nicest acoustics I've ever played and most expensive too. I wouldn't rule out a Gibson acoustic in the future as each guitar has its own unique sound. I can relate to the "shunning" thing- for two consecutive weeks lately, I took out local newspapers ads asking for other interested players to jam with. Not a single phone call so I;m trying to come up with a plan B. Guess I shouldn't have put "Older Rock guitarist" in the ad but I didn't want a bunch of high school kids calling me about joining a band. The search continues.
  9. I purchased this a couple years ago and have seen conflicting things about the dating of it. Serial # is 72657061 The "i" in Gibson appears not to be dotted No "Made in USA" stamped Vertical controls alignment
  10. Lovepedal: Sean's having a flash sale starting today. What do you guys know about his stuff? I've heard good things about the Zen Drive and the Purple Plexi. I missed out on the Vibronaut he released earlier this week. It was limited to 50 units. By time I opened the email, they were gone with the wind. Any positive comments would be appreciated.
  11. No disrespect to Dickey's memory but since the conversation has shifted to Duane and Fillmore East, I decided to share this: This pic was taken by my late friend and guitar tech extraordinaire Bob Winters. He took the pic at the Lowell (MA) Memorial Auditorium two days before the legendary Fillmore East show. About 25 years ago he gave me an 8x10" print which I framed and hung on the wall in my music room. At the time he told me he also sent a print to the Allman Bros. Museum in Macon, GA. and supposedly it is on display there. I've never been so I don't know for sure. Anyhow, lots of emotion over Dickey's passing. Jaimo is the only original member left. Might pull Les Brers in A Minor out of my skull this weekend. I first learned it about 50 years ago and still use it sometimes as an intro to my acoustic Whippin' Post. Rock on ABB fans!
  12. Terrific!! You too are a wonderful example of a human being.
  13. You're a good person, Dog. Life is what happens while we're making other plans. We have two Affenpinschers, so I told the wife there was no way we'd keep the new puppy.....but..... she's stolen my heart......so she's here for the long run!
  14. Aww, stuff happens. We got in similar trouble when we brought in a momma cat and her two kittens from the cold. We did not know much about kitten biology… when we took everyone in to get fixed, we found out we were too late for the little girl. We ended up with kittens who all had umm, “special needs” and most weren’t expected to make it past kittenhood. So we decided they would stay with us in our office for their short little lives and we would keep them safe and warm. Apparently we did a really good job, because they all made through to have long lives. We just lost the last of the crew 17 years later. Of course, with them all being about the same age, it was pretty miserable for a couple years as they all went around the same time.
  15. I'll give this a try later on today.....thanks.
  16. IMO, Dickey Betts & Great Southern is nearly criminally underrated. I love that album. Dan Toler and Dickey are both really good on that record.
  17. Yes, I used a photo of the new puppy....we call her "Backyard Barbie" 'cause her mom & dad are siblings! (was a mistake breeding).
  18. Chuckle, yeah they understand, well to a point. Apparently Taylor is a bit of a target for some, although there are other folks who try to be politic, chuckle. (We have several) As a fairly new member here too, the only time I really stepped in it was when I did a NGD for a beautiful, top of the line, used Taylor 12-fret we picked up. (Folks here know I am in the middle of a bad case of GAS trying to make up for the lost past 50 years, so NGDs seem to be a monthly occurrence for me 🙄) Anyway, I thought I would at least be humored on this one, because I included a pic of my Gibson DIF next to it as a “posting tax.” I joked the music room was getting a bit “glittery.” So I watched as 38 people stopped by the post over the day and got nothing. Not a single like, no tepid “nice” comment, not even ribbing from the usual suspects about it being a Taylor😆 I assessed I crossed a line and sheepishly took the post down 😅 But seriously, everybody understands folks have different gear. The mods really only care about folks riling up trouble/breaking the posting rules, and even then it takes a lot. Welcome and have fun!
  19. Thank you for that! I've often wondered about the rig he was using for the Fillmore gigs (and specifically on that song), as well as what was going through his mind as he was playing that solo. Such a great solo, and such awesome tone!
  20. No idea whatsoever, in the world of guitars it is not unusual to come across the occasional head scratcher like this one. rct
  21. I explored your YouTube channel last week and listened to all of the songs. Your lyrics are certainly offbeat but thoughtful, and the some of the videos are definitely tongue in cheek. All in all I liked them and would like to try writing a song or two. Probably wouldn't put it on the internet though. Oh yeah almost forgot you don't seem to care much for smartphones!
  22. I can tell by looking at it that it isn't bone. To tell if something is bone, take a pin and heat it red-hot. Then touch it to the material. If it smells like burnt hair then it's bone. Otherwise it's not. For those who are not as mentally-endowed as most, hold the pin with pliers while performing this technique.
  23. I think you're right about Joe Bonamassa...long ago, he crossed the line from being a guitar collector to being a guitar hoarder. I hear he has a whole wall of '59 LP's. A few folks are still making money off music (and T-shirts!) and Bonamassa is one of them.
  24. Karloff enough with common sense. But yeah that’s one option. Blue painters tape is another. I only have acoustics so mine don’t do that.
  1. Load more activity