Gibson Brands Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance - Frank Zappa
  3. Cheeseburger cheeseburger!
  4. Today
  5. Those tend to gouge through the surface on of the fasteners. Especially if one plays hard. Eventually over time in any event. Me thinks Gibson ships some where you install it after delivery. ---- Most notable difference IMHO is the neck profile. Classic be more rounded and likely heavier. For me, rounded neck feels better and the weight, IMHO, adds to warmth.
  6. Nod, like I said, so far we’ve only done it twice, but I’m sure glad we did 😄 My version on loans is never lend money I can’t afford to give away. Then just give it if someone needs it. No strings. If they are hard up enough to need a loan, they don’t need more debt digging them even deeper. Sometimes I get paid back anyway, that’s nice, but not necessary. Debt to me is the worst thing in the world for both sides. And more often than not, just a few bucks to me is a lifeline or safety net to a precarious friend or rellie. I remember the generosities I was shown when I was in bad straits that made all the difference in getting me back on my feet. Gotta pay it back somehow.
  7. Based on my impression of your commentary and that you have an R8, I’d sell your Trad if it just isn’t being played. Put it up for a price you can live with to part ways and take your time for the right buyer to come along.
  8. And songwriting. I prefer UYI 1&2 to AFD. His solo stuff isn't my cup of tea. The riff to Die by the sword (was it?), maybe. The rest never stuck. But I hold him in high regard as a player.
  9. thanks for the info. Do you think I might be going over-board with a belt sander if it needs extra shaping? I also have diamond blade nut slotting tools if I have to go deeper with the nut slots. I have always thought bone nuts were the more denser material, but compared to this #6 material bone is like butter.
  10. Make the initial cut with a saw and follow up with files/abrasives. Easier to buy a pre slotted one and file from there though
  11. I should have mentioned that shortly after buying the Traditional got an R8, so the Trad became redundant. I've had it from new, so I suspect it's not going to grow on me. Beautiful guitar nevertheless.
  12. Never-mind..... I'm just going to put this thing aside. There's a guy on eBay that already sells these kind of nuts pre-slotted and shaped for the most part.... I'm going to order a belt sander if I have to do anything more to it.
  13. I would never change a plastic bridge on a really early Gibson In my experience, they are indeed less powerful guitars than the pre 1955 stuff, but pretty much typical in power for lat 50s/early 60s Gibson. We most collected power Gibsons starting in the early 30s. These guitars have the power needed for the kerosene circuit 60 Gibsons do not -- particularly after 1965 and really after c 1969. Here are (most of) my Js -- 1935-1965. The Dove is a 65, and IMHO is not a great guitar -- I have never found one I considered great. Th Hummingbird is a 62 with a plastic adjustable saddle. Gibson power started in the 1930s, and became less and less in each of the following decades -- wartime, post war and 1950s up through 1954. After that they are just not strong enough for real traditional string bands. But my late wife and I not money did traditional mountain genres, but we started as folk revival musicians about 1960. That was an urban music craze that was much milder -- lot of strumming and singing. Her HB was pleanty strong enough for that, but it really sounded like the 60s. Bluegrass light -- 1/4 Kay bass, 1924 Gibson RB-4 trap door and 1962 Humming Bird. A 3/4 bass, 1930s flathead, and a 35 D-28 would overpower the acoustic studio. I would not change anything.😎 Best, -Tom
  14. I need some help. What in gods name tool am I'm going to need to shape a #6 material nut????? The material seems to resist sand paper and files. I'm also worried about my groove cutter tools as well. Thanks in advanced.
  15. My mom was so upset I didn't go to college directly out high school, and I probably would have done well, but my focus was becoming a rock star, and I didn't see how an Engineering Degree (at that time) would contribute to my initial goal..... Although it did work out great for Tom Scholz.
  16. I've had my J-45 for nearly 60 years and bought it from my uncle around 1966 when it was only a few years old. The serial number is six digits...317134. No mention of made in the USA. Best I can guess from what I've seen online with reference guides, it may be a 1961, but I'm not certain. Can anyone shed some light on this?
  17. Part of me feels the same............it is a bit shocking. But I also realize that the boldness of the streaking will be much toned down when the backing comes off and the finish beneath shows......contrast will be significantly reduced. Once all options are in hand perhaps it will be the solid black that wins out...............that is a good look.
  18. Take the A-Train - Sun Ra and Arkestra
  19. My thoughts exactly. Much too busy.
  20. Idaho is the same way. Although, before I do something like that, I'm wanting hours and hours of practice on the range. That was actually something I enjoyed doing when I lived there. Jaxson50, he was a member here, he and I went. I had a great time shooting a .357 Smith&Wesson and a Glock 20, 10 mm. But I wouldn't carry openly without more practice and a feeling of utter confidence that I knew what I was doing.
  21. I know everyone’s tastes are different, but the firestripe on that J-185 doesn’t move me. Even imagining the sunburst underneath, the pickguard just looks too busy to me and detracts from what is otherwise a beautiful guitar. The guitar is filled with geometric shapes and the random streaks of the firestripe jostle the senses.
  22. I agree with you on concerts being a great way to blow off steam. The arena shows, outdoor venues, and stadium shows were great for that, especially in the OC and LA area. Being that I'm a little older now it's the more intimate shows that I prefer. Thinking about Richie Kotzen May 17 in Agoura Hills. I like places like San Juan Capistrano's Coach House, The Canyon in AH or the Celebrity Theater in Anaheim. It's worth the travel when you get great seats. I think the last big show I went to was way back in the mid '90s. That's when I was an A&E writer for a newspaper in OC. Might have been the KROQ Weenie Roast and before that Lalapalooza, both at Irvine Meadows. Still, some of the stadium shows at the LA Coliseum were epic. U2 and The Who were two great shows. Some of the all-day shows back then, where multiple bands took the stage well into the night were so memorable. One in particular featured, Cheap Trick, Molly Hatchet, Black Sabbath (Dio) and Journey wrapped it up. I remember rolling into the Coliseum parking lot around 8:00 in the morning. We then proceeded to go looking for beer. All we could find at the local liquor store was Malt Liquor. Yikes! That was day to remember. Talk about blowing off some steam.
  23. I graduated H.S. early. Started college when I was 16. It was the biggest mistake of my life. I was too young for college and almost flunked out the first year. But, after that the rest was a breeze.
  24. Seems like that’s is all there is these days. Uber zealous that worship an orange hairpiece, or the others who are blow a gasket if they are called the wrong pronoun. I just learned that the state I live in, you can open carry your gun, and you do not need to go to any class or any training to get a concealed carry permit. I looked it up. It’s real, South Carolina is its own little weird country. Believe me I live here.
  25. If you put a stop tail piece in, you'll need to drill two additional holes in the body. The three that are there for the trem are too far back and straight in line. The stop bar holes are angled a bit. Then you'll have 3 extra holes further back. The good news is that it's black. And black is black, so filling the 3 holes and touching up shouldn't be too difficult. You may want to remove the control panel to get a look at the back of the pickup to see what it is. It might be quite valuable if it's an original PAF or Pat No. sticker Humbucker. Just don't leave the plastic panel off too long as it might shrink and be difficult to reattach. I had this happen on a 1966 Fender Jazzmaster that I had. Got it back on but it was a scary few minutes. Old and aged plastic does funky things.
  1. Load more activity