Gibson Brands Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. 45 years of concerts and I worked in Engine Rooms. My hearing is shot. I guess I can save what I got.
  3. It’s an Autumn burst. 2017. The color is a little softer than the pic, more auburn lightening to honey brown. Not as bright like cherry, but reddish warm undertones in the brown. Real pretty. According to the Gibson CS rep, it was a small run for Sam Ash, Hollywood.
  4. ksdaddy

NEPD

I have difficulty with conversations. It bugs me when someone is halfway across the room and their voice drops down because they’re getting to the juicy part. For some reason, people think if they can hear their OWN voice, then you can hear it too. And despite my asking them to speak up or repeat, they keep on doing it at our next conversation. My ears haven’t healed, guy. It’s t-shirt time: “I’m old! Speak up!” As to your post, I’m sorry to hear of your tinnitus. I’ve heard that can be maddening. The only time I use ear protection is if I’m out shooting, particularly a handgun. Nothing happens immediately but a half hour later comes the earache. Today I’m working on a pine cabinet for an old 8 track player and I broke out the B&D finish sander. Good LORD that thing was loud. It was like it was making me lose my balance. I popped on my shooting earmuffs and all was good.
  5. Brown Dove In Flight. whoa.
  6. Today
  7. His tone on One Way Out is still one of my favorite guitar tones of all time. He was a huge influence on me, and many, many players of my generation. While I know he played a lot of different guitars over the years, when someone says "name a Goldtop player," his name is still the first one that pops to mind. RIP Mr. Betts, and thank you for all of the great music you left us.
  8. i live close to bozeman and i was curious if it was possible to go up there and buy guitars direct from the factory or if they had an official gibson showroom full of badass guitars or if there was a tour you can sign up for etc I searched on google and as of 3 years ago the answer is no to both. but its been 3 years so i thought id ask. i called gibson bozeman as well but nobody picked up the phone
  9. I hate to hear this I liked him and his Son Duane.
  10. Long time guitarist for the ABB has died of Cancer this morning. R.I.P. Dickey thanks for the great music.
  11. Gosh. Rest in peace, good musician. You are missed. 🥲
  12. Rabs

NEPD

Got these new ear protectors today... They seem really good and have interchangeable filters for different situations which is cool. The last few gigs I went too I didnt enjoy as much because I have tinnitus and need protection or it hurts. So I thought it was about time to get a new (and hopefully better) pair. Cos I havent been to a gig for a while now and I think this is probably the reason. The last ones I had wernt exactly cheap but while they did the job of protecting my ears ok the sound wasnt great it was a bit muffled. So do you guys use protection? You should if you dont. I hate my tinnitus and wish I had done something sooner. These cost £46 so, not that expensive and well worth it if they do the job better
  13. I think you can just link to images in your flickr account? I only use imgur. The important thing is Gibson just doesn’t let us paste images directly here. Too much band width and storage.
  14. Yeah he definitely held things together for the band in the 70's. I was too young to see Duane live but caught most of the shows in the late 70's when they came around. Saw some cool iterations of the band including when they had Chuck Leavell on second keyboard and Bonnie Bramlett on vocals. Bonnie and Dickey had great chemistry on Crazy Love. Forgot to mention Jessica and Southbound earlier, two more of Dickey's great songs.
  15. Sad news, he was great. I was lucky enough to seem him twice in one week many years back.
  16. Well… I dig the guitar. It did need a pretty drastic setup. I know post purchase the real reason the prior seller must have sold it… he or she tinkered too much. The neck bow was too steep. And they brought the truss rod nut to the point of break. I had a north jersey shop straighten the neck and lube and correct the truss rod. It plays like butter now. Ironically, this is the second used guitar that came to me this way. The other one turned out to be a fantastic J45 as well. Also, I bought a bone adjustable saddle from Philadelphia Luthiers, and have gone back and forth with the Tusq saddle. They are VERY different. The bone saddle brings power, and just a thicker sound all around. Beefier trebles as well. I initially thought “wow, that’s an amazing upgrade!” Yet today I tinkered and put the Tusq saddle back in with a string change, and man… this sound is pleasing too. It’s a Bird sound. More quiet, but more harmonious. That “syrupy” word comes to mind. Well anyways, I like this version better…CURRENTLY. 🙂
  17. You must have callus’s on your callus’s.
  18. I just heard. Damn ABB was a killer band and he saved it after Duane passed. RIP
  19. I have never played a maple guitar. Tone is almost impossible to describe in words, especially for a non-native English speaker, but to me maple guitars have a low fidelity ”sad” and ”lonely” sound. At least, that is the character of the tone I hear in this video and others too. Does that makes any sense at all? I think maple would be great for introspective, singer-songwriter stuff. Come to think of it, didn't Townes van Zandt play a blonde maple Jumbo in his late career? Lars
  20. Cool. One of my favorite albums from the era is Taste: Live at the Isle of Wight. Rory Gallagher is one of my guitar heroes; along with Jimi of course. I'm happy that there is a lot of great video footage of that festival, the UK's answer to Woodstock. I was just 12 at the time. I remember hearing Clapton's Let it Rain in 1970 and the outro guitar solo is what made me want to become a guitarist. I just loved the high, tinny Strat tone and I played Strats for many decades before switching over to Gibsons in the last dozen years or so.
  21. Thanks Prairie Dog. I have a Flickr account that has had almost four million views...not of guitars but of old houses, my other passion. The technology behind the forum messaging must be older because most newer fora have more reasonable limits for image postings. I post regularly on the Urban Ohio forum and there has never been any issues with the number of attachments allowed, Maybe Gibson, assuming they host this forum, could refresh the format and post more Gibson guitars around the sides and background. Doubtful there's any more loyal Gibson brand base than right here. I'll see if I can set something up this weekend, The image I wanted to share was just of a nasty looking amp grill so not exactly eye candy.
  22. So sad, I agree. A major influence in my playing style. I love how he used country-style major scale phrasing in southern rock songs. Blue Sky, Revival, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed and of course Ramblin' Man. And he was the perfect compliment to Duane and later as the headliner he kept the band together while Greg was a mess, before he became a mess himself and got booted. A favorite memory is the acoustic set they did at Great Woods in 1992 with Dickey and Warren Haynes along with Gregg doing electric songs acoustically. RIP Dickey!
  23. Too many great ones are being reassigned to that great concert hall in the sky where surely Dickey Betts is jamming again with Duane and Gregg. He leaves behind a wonderful gift and musical legacy that will be loved for generations. R.I.P. Dickey Betts... you were one of the great ones of our time.
  1. Load more activity