Gibson Brands Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. When I was in college, there offered Intertube Water Polo. I kid you not. A lot of the schools team Water Polo players took it. So it wasn't that fun.
  3. Boyd, I don’t know about the j-50 60s reissue neck carve. I’ll try to measure this one later and post pics. I also hope that the bridge is not an issue! maybe I’m too aggressive in describing its “share of dings”; there are maybe 4or5 dings on the top. None serious. If I were buying new, from my favorite shop, I’d figure I’d pay $2500 plus tax. So, $1900 vs $2650 is a good enough savings for me. I fully acknowledge I’m not the most aggressive negotiator though. thanks Buc! The color is awesome.
  4. Today
  5. This guitar is worth the price. I got mine the morning it was released and the quality is superb! I have waited a long time for Gibson to make this guitar again. I can not find anything negative about this guitar. Last year I had a M2M J180 guitar made from Gibson, based off the Everly Brothers model. I had a mustache bridge put on it with the star inlays. I just couldn't have the Everly name on the truss rod. Thank you Gibson for making the J180 Everly Brothers guitar again. I was lucky back in the late 90's to see the Everly Brothers do a one off concert at the Ryman in Nashville. I had the 2nd row seat right in the middle. Albert Lee and Vince Gill were part of the back up band for them. What a fantastic show the Everly Brothers put on with those famous J180 guitars they played.
  6. "Who nothing dares sits and glares" Are the upper edge-curves clean - seems to be signs of flimmer-frays. Heps to your appetite for experimentation.
  7. 40..... I think I paid $125 for my Jubilee.... in 1971 or so. I bought it after I got out of the Army...so I was making pretty good money at the time.
  8. It's done. Just noticed. Seems the $1999 Firebird has now been dropped from the listings. Guessing that's the last nail in that coffin. Prolly sustain a higher resale value on those. IMO, after $ adjustment for the era, the best bang for the buck ever for the line. Might look into a used one. Arg...... May not. The Epi IBF example works fine with a few mods. @Coachmoe nod.
  9. Very nice, Sal..........good score! I have been eyeballing a left handed model of this very guitar for some months now..........it's still available..... If my Marshall 1974X amp sells before it disappears I might own one of these myself. (I do like the original white guard better than the teardrop though.)
  10. Not a popular mod, it seems.........ah well. I have a propensity to not leave well enough alone.......try this, tweak that.......change for the sake of change to satisfy curiosity. And so it is with this. And it's not an irreversible change..........if the fire stripe becomes tiresome it can always be changed......again...... I do like look of the mockup with the bad guard............the fire stripes visually connect to the lines of the strings and the split parallelogram inlays in my twisted mind.......the more I consider it the more I like it. A single color guard might work as well......black though, not creme. Life is full of options........doesn't hurt to sample some of them now and then........
  11. Interesting observation. I also have a 2008 J-50 Modern Classic. AFAIK, the neck on that guitar is the same as a J-45 standard. I've A-B'ed the 60's re-issue and Modern Classic quite a bit and think the necks are very similar aside from nut width - certainly not "much deeper". But maybe there's a difference between the J-50 and J-45 re-issues? I recall that they raised the price of the 60's original series a few years ago - shortly after I bought mine. I got mine used at Guitar Center for $1,700 and it could have passed for new. It's interesting to see that you feel $1,900 was a good price today for a guitar with "its share of dings". Guess that's just the result of Gibson's price increases. About a year after I got mine, the bridge started separating from the body on one side. It's not going anywhere because of the bolts for the adjustable saddle and it doesn't seem to affect the sound. But eventually I'll need to get it fixed. IIRC, there's another thread somewhere here about a recent model Gibson with a lifted bridge. Hopefully these are just exceptions to the rule. Glad you're having fun with the new guitar, still really love mine although haven't had much time to play it recently.
  12. Big congratulations! That's a great looking guitar, I like what you did with the pickguard, may she put a smile on your face for a long time.
  13. You’ll need to post some pictures using an imaging site like imgur.com for anyone here could take a look. serial number alone won’t verify it.
  14. I played it for hours last night… Boyd was right about the neck. Dramatically different than the real deal latter 60s models. Yes it has the 11/16 nut width, but the neck is deep and wide. Like the 50s reissue necks. Much deeper than the standards as well. i didn’t like the neck when I tried it on an LG-2 banner reissue back in 2016 or so, but that nut was wider. this neck is… different. Played it for several hours last night, and my hands adjusted fine. Maybe the nut width. Maybe because I like the tone and am more willing to adjust? I don’t know. But man… the difference between the tone 1 minute in and 2 hours in… stark. i took off the old strings and it sports Martin 80/20s now. I dig. She stays. The cheapie guitar goes.
  15. You still have to inspect that battery for possible leaks, like every 3 months.👍
  16. So the Grateful Dead could go and play there during an eclipse. I have a live cd/dvd on what is called Rockin The Cradle : Egypt 1978. The album that got released was awful. I bought it for the dvd. The packaging is impressive. Donna was still in the band. Her husband was a damn fine keys player.
  17. That is one of many theories. Nobody knows for sure who built them, or if, or how, they were compensated. Heck, they still are not sure WHY they were even built. Only theories.
  18. Are you allowed to use a snorkel? Be a very short competition otherwise.
  19. I learned on my neighbors LG-0 1957. I tried to buy a new one in 1962 in Boston but I found a shop worn LG-1 for $75. I later bought a used one c 1990 for my son, but he sold it.
  20. The Telephone Song — Astrud Gilberto and Stan Getz Notes ♫
  21. I'm thinking of buying a j-45. I played an ML j-45 at the store and it was lovely. There was no regular CS banner j-45 in the store to try. For those who have tried both, was the ML significantly better?
  22. Didn’t realize I’d create such a stir with this post, but, now that I have it secured I won’t have to replace the battery for 1000 hours
  23. Get in touch with Taylor from Holter Pickguards, https://holterpickguards.com/product-category/all/gibson/. A little pricey, but he definitely makes a quality product.
  24. I like the one that came on my SJ. Has what looks like a gold glitter or marbling background with a little translucency.
  25. Instead of payment the aliens were told they can show up unannounced in theirs saucers and do rectal exams on any farmer that has a corn field. If the flying saucer is such a great design how come NASA is not using it?
  1. Load more activity