Gibson Brands Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Part of me feels the same............it is a bit shocking. But I also realize that the boldness of the streaking will be much toned down when the backing comes off and the finish beneath shows......contrast will be significantly reduced. Once all options are in hand perhaps it will be the solid black that wins out...............that is a good look.
  3. My thoughts exactly. Much too busy.
  4. Idaho is the same way. Although, before I do something like that, I'm wanting hours and hours of practice on the range. That was actually something I enjoyed doing when I lived there. Jaxson50, he was a member here, he and I went. I had a great time shooting a .357 Smith&Wesson and a Glock 20, 10 mm. But I wouldn't carry openly without more practice and a feeling of utter confidence that I knew what I was doing.
  5. I know everyone’s tastes are different, but the firestripe on that J-185 doesn’t move me. Even imagining the sunburst underneath, the pickguard just looks too busy to me and detracts from what is otherwise a beautiful guitar. The guitar is filled with geometric shapes and the random streaks of the firestripe jostle the senses.
  6. I agree with you on concerts being a great way to blow off steam. The arena shows, outdoor venues, and stadium shows were great for that, especially in the OC and LA area. Being that I'm a little older now it's the more intimate shows that I prefer. Thinking about Richie Kotzen May 17 in Agoura Hills. I like places like San Juan Capistrano's Coach House, The Canyon in AH or the Celebrity Theater in Anaheim. It's worth the travel when you get great seats. I think the last big show I went to was way back in the mid '90s. That's when I was an A&E writer for a newspaper in OC. Might have been the KROQ Weenie Roast and before that Lalapalooza, both at Irvine Meadows. Still, some of the stadium shows at the LA Coliseum were epic. U2 and The Who were two great shows. Some of the all-day shows back then, where multiple bands took the stage well into the night were so memorable. One in particular featured, Cheap Trick, Molly Hatchet, Black Sabbath (Dio) and Journey wrapped it up. I remember rolling into the Coliseum parking lot around 8:00 in the morning. We then proceeded to go looking for beer. All we could find at the local liquor store was Malt Liquor. Yikes! That was day to remember. Talk about blowing off some steam.
  7. I graduated H.S. early. Started college when I was 16. It was the biggest mistake of my life. I was too young for college and almost flunked out the first year. But, after that the rest was a breeze.
  8. Seems like that’s is all there is these days. Uber zealous that worship an orange hairpiece, or the others who are blow a gasket if they are called the wrong pronoun. I just learned that the state I live in, you can open carry your gun, and you do not need to go to any class or any training to get a concealed carry permit. I looked it up. It’s real, South Carolina is its own little weird country. Believe me I live here.
  9. Today
  10. If you put a stop tail piece in, you'll need to drill two additional holes in the body. The three that are there for the trem are too far back and straight in line. The stop bar holes are angled a bit. Then you'll have 3 extra holes further back. The good news is that it's black. And black is black, so filling the 3 holes and touching up shouldn't be too difficult. You may want to remove the control panel to get a look at the back of the pickup to see what it is. It might be quite valuable if it's an original PAF or Pat No. sticker Humbucker. Just don't leave the plastic panel off too long as it might shrink and be difficult to reattach. I had this happen on a 1966 Fender Jazzmaster that I had. Got it back on but it was a scary few minutes. Old and aged plastic does funky things.
  11. Just figuring out how to post photos....so I thought I'd post a photo of my Gibson Herd.....all are square shoulder dreds except the first on on the left, (Jubilee).
  12. Honestly it's both the far-left and far-right that isn't doing this country any favors.
  13. Never knew he closed shop and was accused of making distasteful comments. Gotta be careful. Seems like people are always looking for something to protest about..... It's been that way in the USA as long as I can remember. I think my generation was able to bleed off some of that energy by going to concerts. Rock N Roll / Metal concerts were a great way to rebel against the Man without having to burn things down. Funny I clearly remember all those insane Holly Rollers and Senate dickheads calling all Heavy Metalers Devil Worshippers. lol... We thought they were just lame and bored individuals.
  14. Yeah, not funny anymore. Although it does have it's moments. It's become a reflection of the woke world, a dark shadow that has crept across our land. I did recently watch a Youtube collage of the late Norm MacDonald's Nightly News skits especially during the OJ Simpson trial. Now that stuff was brutal social commentary on the trial and Simpson.
  15. I took a mythology course once. The professor wanted us all to choose a mythological figure who we would be called by in the class. Since Californiaman is close to the beginning of the alphabet I hoped nobody would take the name I was hoping for. When he called my name I was stoked I got to pick the name I wanted. I told him and the rest of the class, "Ulysses". His reply was, "Clever choice." Ulysses, is the Roman name for the Greek mythological character, Odysseus, one of the cleverest characters of the ancient world. We were told that when he takes roll for the next time we meet that we needed to quote our character in some meaningful way that relates to our character. The next time we met, I was ready when he called my name. I couldn't wait because it was such a classic quote. "How my naked ears were tortured by the sirens sweetly singing." That lit him up. "Oh yes! Cream. Of course. Very Clever."
  16. We are one row behind where we sat for the Dregs other night for the upcoming Dweez show.
  17. Bass-O-Matic Bag Of Broken Glass Jane you ignorant. . . Too funny, well SNL used to be, not anymore.
  18. One’ I don’t play I let go. I’ve only got 2 now. Not much choice. Grab the RW 000 or Hog one. Still takes about 30 minutes do decide.
  19. I'm really liking putting a quality pedalboard together. Most of the front end stuff on my board is going to Fulltone products. Here's a photo from NAMM this year. Brad Jackson from Jackson Audio has taken over the build process for Mike Fuller. Jackson Audio builds some quality pedals too. Brad Jackson, Californian, and Mike Fuller
  20. Of course his EDS-1275 was over 10k and the Firebirds were not cheap either and then the amount and prices of all the LP’s escape me.
  21. If you’re buying from a reputable dealer they give a 45 day no hassle Return Exchange policy. Play them both for a couple weeks, decide which one you like & sell or return the other..
  22. There was one professor in our Thermal Dynamics course that rang true: He told all of us the below: "Most of you will have the ability to learn, but only 1/3 of you will have the ability to work." I see more of the above now than ever in my long career.
  23. If it doesn't get used out it goes. I've been trading my whole life, never give it a thought once it is decided that it goes. rct
  24. I realize the warranty expressly excludes finish issues, which puts you up a creek with no boat, but I would definitely take that to a Gibson dealer and start trying to return it. rct
  1. Load more activity