Gibson Brands Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. To quote you “I’m not a rap guy” either. Screaming the F and N word to a backing track is not Rock or even music to ME.
  3. I learned the basics of piano while working in a music store back in the 60's. i simply LOVE to play them, (I have 2 pianos in the house). What I like is that I can look at the keys, and I KNOW how to make whatever chord I want to make. The piano is easier on the hands and shoulders than is the guitar....so I'm trying to get as much recorded on the guitar before my hands/shoulders give out....then concentrate on the piano. I bought the piano from a lady who had just lost her husband, (back in 1976). She said he played it all the time, and was the center of attention at all their gatherings playing it....she couldn't stand to see it sitting in her home...so I grabbed it up. A guitar you can take with you on a date....but a piano, you have to bring your date home! First time my wife came to my condo, I played for her....now, we just celebrated out 46th Anniversary! So here's a photo of the piano back in 1976. You'll notice the Jubilee standing next to it.
  4. Johnson, because of my bursitis, I play the smaller Jubilee every day. When I finally get a song to the point I want to record it, I usually grab the "appropriate" guitar for the task. The DIF gives me the best tone, but the neck is very narrow. Guitar has to be mic'd. The 'Bird Koa has the best neck and is good for when I have to use my right hand accurately. Guitar has to be mic'd. The Dove I tend to use for 'serious' songs, has the longer scale neck so the strings are a little tighter. Guitar has to be mic'd. The J-50 is relatively new to my pack....was a gift 4 years ago from my staff when I retired. It was my every-day player until my right shoulder got so bad I couldn't do it every day. The 12-String is a wonderful guitar.... I use it whenever a 12-String is necessary, or if I need to 'fill-up' the sound a little. I also use if for when a song needs to be finger-picked....I cheat by flat-picking the 12-String. So, I have maybe 560 songs posted on YouTube.... probably evenly divided between the 5 dreds.... the Jubilee doesn't get as much play as the others....but since I put a cheap pickup in it, it gets played more.
  5. Atcq would be a fair choice imo they’re not rock but that’s become a moot point to an extent. They took hip hop from “my name is _____ and I’ve got to say” to an actual art form. I am not a rap guy. I hate most modern rap music. Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders are absolute classic timeless albums
  6. Today
  7. I actually love a tribe called quest… not a big fan of rap or hip hop but Q Tip is the best
  8. My Dad gave me his 1965 Hummingbird for Christmas last year. His step-father (John Pellish) and he custom ordered it from a music shop in Norfolk, VA in ~1964. My Dad has been the only owner until now. The custom order details were: Left-handed; no pickguard etching; wider nut and string spacing. Here is the interesting bit: when the instrument arrived all was well except they didn’t make it left-handed per the custom order. So, he sent it back. It was returned some time later properly left-handed. He didn’t notice at the time when it was returned, but upon thoroughly inspecting it after he gave it to me I discovered the interior neck block and the headstock serial #s are off by 2 digits from each other. #400073 on the neck block and the label, #400075 on the headstock. Is this something known to have happened or simply a circumstance perhaps related to sending it back to be corrected for handedness when it was new? Here are a few pics: https://daleb.smugmug.com/Hummingbird Cheers
  9. And that’s a real thing. I had to miss it, but I heard after the Patty Larkin concert last month she set her Olson down during a break, and it caught the light so that it was painfully blinding a large chunk of the audience caught in beam. A stage hand thoughtfully turned it after someone went up and asked.
  10. 😄 Is there another philosopher in the house?
  11. That is an impressive collection- do you play all of them regularly? At one time I had 7 Gibson acoustics, ranging from present day back to a 1930s model. I found that I could not find the subtlety and nuance for each due to the number of guitars vs. days of the week. So I let them all go except the one one I play now. That's just me and I say bravo! to your fine collection. Sounds like that piano might have a ghost or two in the machine...👀
  12. I didn't know any of this. great history lesson. thanks. that skit has always cracked me up lol.
  13. That skit was based on a real place in Chicago who's original location in under Michigan avenue very close to the Chicago Tribune building. It's called "The Billy Goat Tavern", at Lower 430 North, Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611. I've been to this location quite a few times. It was the dark and dingy hangout for Newspaper writers from the Trib, and the Chicago Sun Times, which used to be the next building west of the Trib on the Chicago River. Second City writers and comedians, (the original SNL and long time talent feeder to SNL), knew about it because many of them had worked in the newspaper business before writing for Second City. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with Del Close there, (and more than a few nights hanging with him at Old Town Ale House on North Ave. The story behind the first time I met Del is hilarious. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_Close ). Met Michael Royko Jr. at the "Billy Goat" for the first time as well. Belushi, Ramus, Aykroyd and the Murray brothers were regulars at the Goat during there Second City days. The owners goat, and the Cub's refusal to allow the goat into Wrigley Field, resulted in the famous "Cub's curse". Back in the '80's and early '90's, the Billy Goat was almost exactly how SNL portrayed it to be. Chips, no fries, Pepsi, no Coke, Cheezboyger, cheezeboyger, cheezboyger.
  14. Glossary glos·sa·ry /ˈɡlôsərē,ˈɡläsərē/ adjective a highly polished, mirror like, ultra reflective finish or coating. (e.g. The finish on that Gibson guitar is so glossary that the stage lights reflecting off of it are blinding me!)
  15. A few years ago, I tried to find a hilarious SNL skit with Michael Jordan, George Wendt, and a few other white SNL cast members playing basketball on a late '60's, post integration, high school basketball team. MJ was the only non-white team member (on either team), and the only player who could actually play the game. Sadly, for PC reasons, the skit has been scrubbed from history. (The skit openly exemplified the blatant racism that existed in many southern post integration public schools) The skit was so gut bustingly funny, that MJ and the SNL cast couldn't stop giggling as each offensive line was uttered. My favorite line was delivered by George Wendt, who was portraying one of the 4 white guys begrudgingly playing on court with MJ as their 5th team member. George has the ball, and is trapped in a double team at half court. MJ is obviously open, and he is begging George to pass the ball to him. The rest of the team begins to beg George to pass MJ the ball. George refuses and says, "I ain't passing the ball to no darky." MJ couldn't hide his laughter after George belted out the line, and the other skit members quickly fell apart as well. Apparently Michael Jordan helped write the skit and was all in with the bigoted language. I would love to see that one again! Another favorite, Knock, knock. Who is it? Um, candygram ma'am. Is this the Landshark? Um, no ma'am, um telegram.... Oh, well let me open the door for you.... (landshark eats her.)
  16. Certainly not. But there are forces at work now who would scrub our past of anything that violates their woke dogma. Like the recent brewhaha about the famous photo of George Mendonsa and Greta Friedman. You know the sailor kissing a girl on the streets of New York City. Some VA administrator wanted to remove this from every VA in the USA. Wanker's probably never had a real kiss in her life, let alone a romp in the backseat of her boyfriend's car. This photo certainly didn't bother Greta Friedman and she's publicly stated so. In fact, both Mendonsa and Friedman would show up at patriotic events and sign copies of the photo.
  17. Years ago, before Big Pharma began making pills to enhance male endowment, guys lacking down there got their enhancement advice from locker room "wives' tales". One sad lad eventually asked one of his better built friends what he could do to grow a bit more. His friend told him that he had been told to rub butter on it, which he had done to great effect. A few weeks later, the sad lad complained to the friend who had given him the butter advice, that "it wasn't working". Worse yet, he indicated, "it was having the opposite effect." "I'm really shocked that butter isn't working for you, because it really worked for me.", said the friend. "Well, butter is pretty expensive and my Mom would have noticed if any of the small amount of it we keep in the fridge, went missing. But, since Mom substitutes Crisco for butter, all the time, in her recipes, that's what I've been using.", the sad lad explained. His friend shouted, "You idiot, Crisco is SHORTENING!".
  18. The US certainly wasn't "woke" in 1941.
  19. rushing /ˈrəSHiNG/ noun the act of listening to the band Rush for hours on end. (e.g. Dad's been in the backroom rushing for so long that he's wearing the vinyl out.)
  20. Here are a few of my "definitions", (this post and the next reply), that redefine words into something more fun. Add your own redefinitions to The Gibster's Dictionary! Oxymoron ox·y·mo·ron /ˌäksəˈmôrˌän/ Adjective an individual stupefied from an oxycodone addiction. ( e.g. That moron was so high on Oxy, that he got a DUI on his lawn tractor as he was driving to Taco Bell.)
  21. Tim Shaw made the pickup in my 70th Esquire. Divine. Silent. I have considered others of his because of it. I may, maybe, replace it with something super special, just haven't done it yet. rct
  22. I remember that vividly. As I recall, the announcement came as I bent to pick a dogend. I grew up listening to Tull, and I have always been a big fan. Ian's flute rocking was as unique as it was awesome. When my daughter Alexis decided to play flute in 5th grade, I excitedly played some Tull for her so she could hear what was possible on a flute, beyond the symphony stuff. At that time, I was ok with Metallica, but I had not listened to much of their music, save for what FM radio overplayed. But what I did know, and what anyone with half a brain should have known, was that Metallica was/is Hard Rock/Heavy Metal and Jethro Tull WAS NOT!!!
  23. Yesterday
  24. The ones in my 81 lp custom were not all that impressive. The neck was ok but the bridge sounded thin with no character. I swapped them out back in the early 90s and I was happy. Good luck!!!
  25. Sixty-Tu.... I tend to lean on the sustain pedal a lot so I have time to make my chord changes. I've owned the piano for 48 years.....never a string change since I've owned it. The 3-String area on this piano allow you to tune each string individually, (on many pianos, you tune two strings at once), so you can get it pretty close without breaking strings all over the place! I really like the candle holders..... when the electricity used to go out, (before the home generator) I used to light them and just play in the dark.
  26. I bought a slide decal off eBay that looked pretty good. I have a'68 J50 that some stripped the head stock. The guitar is in a very well worn state and I did not want it to look too pretty.
  27. Bravo! I didn't think you were going to do the whole song. +1. Were you leaning a bit on the sustain pedal, or does the piano just sound that cavernous ? 'Wonder how many times the strings have been changed in all of those years. 😀 Yes, that is an excellent touch, especially when rooms were lit with oil lamps. My eye went to the retro looking table radio behind the bar- 'had Heathkit radio flashbacks til it looked more like a modern Sangean WR-11.
  1. Load more activity