Gibson Brands Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. You're a good person, Dog. Life is what happens while we're making other plans. We have two Affenpinschers, so I told the wife there was no way we'd keep the new puppy.....but..... she's stolen my heart......so she's here for the long run!
  3. Aww, stuff happens. We got in similar trouble when we brought in a momma cat and her two kittens from the cold. We did not know much about kitten biology… when we took everyone in to get fixed, we found out we were too late for the little girl. We ended up with kittens who all had umm, “special needs” and most weren’t expected to make it past kittenhood. So we decided they would stay with us in our office for their short little lives and we would keep them safe and warm. Apparently we did a really good job, because they all made through to have long lives. We just lost the last of the crew 17 years later. Of course, with them all being about the same age, it was pretty miserable for a couple years as they all went around the same time.
  4. I'll give this a try later on today.....thanks.
  5. IMO, Dickey Betts & Great Southern is nearly criminally underrated. I love that album. Dan Toler and Dickey are both really good on that record.
  6. Yes, I used a photo of the new puppy....we call her "Backyard Barbie" 'cause her mom & dad are siblings! (was a mistake breeding).
  7. Chuckle, yeah they understand, well to a point. Apparently Taylor is a bit of a target for some, although there are other folks who try to be politic, chuckle. (We have several) As a fairly new member here too, the only time I really stepped in it was when I did a NGD for a beautiful, top of the line, used Taylor 12-fret we picked up. (Folks here know I am in the middle of a bad case of GAS trying to make up for the lost past 50 years, so NGDs seem to be a monthly occurrence for me 🙄) Anyway, I thought I would at least be humored on this one, because I included a pic of my Gibson DIF next to it as a “posting tax.” I joked the music room was getting a bit “glittery.” So I watched as 38 people stopped by the post over the day and got nothing. Not a single like, no tepid “nice” comment, not even ribbing from the usual suspects about it being a Taylor😆 I assessed I crossed a line and sheepishly took the post down 😅 But seriously, everybody understands folks have different gear. The mods really only care about folks riling up trouble/breaking the posting rules, and even then it takes a lot. Welcome and have fun!
  8. Thank you for that! I've often wondered about the rig he was using for the Fillmore gigs (and specifically on that song), as well as what was going through his mind as he was playing that solo. Such a great solo, and such awesome tone!
  9. No idea whatsoever, in the world of guitars it is not unusual to come across the occasional head scratcher like this one. rct
  10. I explored your YouTube channel last week and listened to all of the songs. Your lyrics are certainly offbeat but thoughtful, and the some of the videos are definitely tongue in cheek. All in all I liked them and would like to try writing a song or two. Probably wouldn't put it on the internet though. Oh yeah almost forgot you don't seem to care much for smartphones!
  11. I can tell by looking at it that it isn't bone. To tell if something is bone, take a pin and heat it red-hot. Then touch it to the material. If it smells like burnt hair then it's bone. Otherwise it's not. For those who are not as mentally-endowed as most, hold the pin with pliers while performing this technique.
  12. I think you're right about Joe Bonamassa...long ago, he crossed the line from being a guitar collector to being a guitar hoarder. I hear he has a whole wall of '59 LP's. A few folks are still making money off music (and T-shirts!) and Bonamassa is one of them.
  13. Karloff enough with common sense. But yeah that’s one option. Blue painters tape is another. I only have acoustics so mine don’t do that.
  14. Thanks PrairieDog. I always feel like I'm on thin ice mentioning other brands on a brand dedicated site, but I think the good folks at Gibson realize not everyone can be brand exclusive in their musical equipment choices but, of course, Yamaha would like to have you think so, There's certainly a place for Gibson in every discussion as I consider this plucky Industrial Age survivor a National Treasure. I suppose you could call me a true believer, but I do allow that other brands may have a role to fill in an artist's quest for musical excellence. As for the "grungy" amp, I have a "Mama" Amp from the same brand in a 2x 12" speaker configuration and of the modeling Amp variety so this small one would be the sit out on the porch in the Summer type amp and I look forward to seeing what kinds of sounds I can get out of it. I'll later share a present, ready to be reassembled photo, and last, a ready to play photo. (you know, just before the Amp catches fire and blows up) One tiny detail I'm working on is on a knob that has a tiny sliver of white metal that goes in a groove to mark the knob's position. Somehow, during toothbrush scrubbing with simple green, the sliver fell out and promptly disappeared into the carpet or ??? So, I have some white sheet plastic (actually x-ray film dividers courtesy of my late wife) of exactly the right thickness so I'm trying to carve off a suitable tiny piece and glue it into place so that nothing will be missing. Impossible to find replacement knobs. Yeah, it's the perfectionist thing... (but not OCD!)
  15. Today
  16. He started the whole teeth shredding thing. From there it just flourished.
  17. This one hit especially hard. When I got home from work yesterday my wife was out and my first thought was to have a chance to play in the empty house. I thought about grabbing my 336 and plugging in but it was locked away upstairs. So I grabbed my acoustic and sang and played Blue Sky, Melissa and Stormy Monday, all of which I do solo acoustic versions of as well as the electric versions with the band. Years ago while playing Melissa, I tossed some of the Blue Sky leads in and they worked, same key and all. Ever since, those two songs belong together. And at least for me, Stormy Monday is the gem of the Fillmore East album. I love the haunting minor cliche and Memphis swing rhythm turn in the middle. And I do the Dickey solo with the band. . I felt a lot better after playing and felt blessed for the gift of wonderful music that Dickey and the rest of the Allman's gave us.
  18. Many people have asked about stop bar height on other forums, I say just wind in the studs until you get a clearance between the back of the bridge so that the high "E" doesn't touch the back of the bridge and the tail stop bar is level with the top of the guitar "even on both sides" and your good to go.
  19. A thin piece of rubber tubing placed underneath the stop bar works for me, just compress it with your fingers and place it underneath the stop bar, anything that holds it in place will do.
  20. I think it’s a really cool artifact as is, and if it were mine I’d not do anything to it. I’d hang it on the wall. It may never be resolved but if it were “put together “ it loses its enigma conversation value.
  21. Well, that's certainly the most popular way to play a Fender. Though I do recall one guy famously using his teeth. (A method not recommended for kids wearing braces, by the way.) 😗
  22. RCT - So what is that 0001 and the 22 stamped in the pickup area for?? Thats the bit I cant work out. The pickup holes where the cover screws in are on the lower part of the body so whatever the add-on was it would be above the pickup where the 0001 is. I might just add some period hardware now and try and work out something to fill the upper part of the pickup cutout
  23. "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" -- AC/DC
  24. Two cannibals start eating a guy, one starting from the head, the other at the feet. After a while, the “head” cannibal had worked his way down around the neck. Without looking up, he asked the other cannibal how things were going on his end. “Great! I’m having a ball!” The first cannibal said, “wow, you eat fast!”
  25. Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looked up and said to the other, "Does this taste funny to you?"
  1. Load more activity