Gibson Brands Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Allman Brothers Band's Dickey Betts Dead at 80 (rollingstone.com) I learned so much from listening to this guy. RIP Dickey
  3. Today
  4. Thank you for your reply It is reassuring top know that the serial number is correct for the period I thought . I am going to a Gibson guitar shop In London (The Gibson Garage London on Eastcastle Street In Westminster W1) next week to have them take a look at it for me. Just out of interest I got my love of the electric guitar way back in 1970, when I went to the (now famous) Isle Of Wight Festival . When amongst many other great bands, I saw the late great Jimi Hendrix play. I was blown away by his playing . It must have been one of his last appearances as he died in London a few weeks later on September 18th. I believe under very mysterious circumstances.
  5. Chief, Just keep practicing, and who knows, one of these days, you'll be able to tap in time again. Or, you could find a crowbar, pry open your change purse, and buy a metronome. If not, maybe the Gibsonians will take pity and start a Go-fund-me for it. Here's hoping. RBSinTo
  6. Yeah. They are more sophisticated for want of a better word. Another artist gone too soon.
  7. Posey

1990 J-50

Good answer. The Bullshit story it came with . It was off a movie set in California given to a musician that had played on the movie. The problem is it was an 80s movie and this is a 1990 guitar.
  8. Hi Andy, Yes that serial number is correct for 1967. Finding a period correct pick guard will be quite expensive. Good luck getting it playable again. Many years ago I had a '66 ES-330 and I currently have a 1969 ES-335.
  9. Hi I wonder if anyone could help me find out more about my ES330. I acquired it in the early 1970 `s it has been in the loft /attic for most of its life but now being played. I intend to get it looked at very soon by a Gibson dealership in London and see it it needs any work doing. I do wish to get a pick guard put on it . My question please is ,can anyone confirm the serial number is indeed what I always thought to be ie A 1967 Guitar. Thank you for looking at the post. Cheers Andy.
  10. 40....you're speaking my language! I've heard songs all my life, that suddenly catch my attention. I think it's because songs take us back to times and places and events from out past.....and as you acquire more wisdom, they mean so much more. I put an arrangement together of "The City Of New Orleans" some years ago..... Steve Goodman songs are tougher than they appear!
  11. This would be perfect for me....everything I play I tend to speed up during the song!
  12. In the 70s we took Industrial Arts in our sophomore year. Half the year in woodworking, half in automotive. Our wood shop teacher was a bit like John Houseman's character in The Paper Chase. He had a heart attack while I was in his class (not literally, but in that time frame). A substitute came in to finish out the year. At the onset of the next school year, they were juggling substitutes and looking for a permanent replacement. They brought back a crusty old dude, looked exactly like Disney's Carl Fredericksen. Phil Rogers was his name. He had taught shop and Farm Mechanics in our school system from around 1940 to the early 70s. He had my brother in one of his classes. One day in 1967 or so, he gathered the boys around a tractor and asked, "What's the first thing you need to know about this tractor?" My brother barked from the back of the group, "Learn how to get ON the f***** thing!" He blazed a trail for the school year. Fast forward to my Junior year in 1976, I signed up for an elective woodworking class (I had already taken wood shop the previous year). There were FOUR of us in the class. My best friend and I, a huge Native American dude named Roger with long hair and Brando biker jacket (gentle as a lamb but didn't look it) and another guy in my class who had neatly combed 1950s hair and Buddy Holly glasses. I don't think I heard him say seven words the whole time were in high school. He might have been "on the spectrum" but we wouldn't have known it at the time. We (happily) spent our class time puttering on little wood projects of our own, and also sorting out the vast supply of project lumber overhead... mahogany, maple, Lignum Vitae (I could swear I heard him call it Limber, which is totally wrong). The sophomores wreaked havoc on the supply, tossing everything around and mixing it up. We sorted, jointed, planed, labeled... it was good. On the very first day, we four gathered around his desk. He had his fingers laced together in his lap, rocking slowly in the office chair. He glared at me. "Your name Englund?" (Yes it is, Mr. Rogers.) His words slowed with deliberate strong enunciation... "You got a brother named Paul?" (Yes.) He slowly nodded and his eyes narrowed, staring daggers right through my head... "I'm gonna keep an EYE on you." Nothing profound, no message, no life lesson, it just brings a smile to my face every time I think of it. And to this day, if someone asks me if Paul is my brother, I quickly weigh where this is going and how I should answer.
  13. Best guess is that Bozeman not being up to full speed just yet was sending guitars out to entice buyers into placing advance orders. Within a year or so they would be able to boast putting together one of the greatest assemblages of guitar building talent ever see under one roof seen in a very long time.
  14. I'm working on recording a song that my girl drummer and I first performed at a sports fest back in late September. She helped me to improve the song lyrics a bit, and then we practiced it maybe two times, and then performed it at the gig. But we never properly recorded a clean version of it. As a father of a softball league daughter (and a granddaughter active in her local rowing club), I have a soft spot in my heart for athletic girls. Heather and I laid down a live track last Saturday, with my intent to layer some bass guitar, lead guitar, and vocal harmonies. But I didn't save the file properly, and I lost all that we had done. 🤨
  15. Even Heritage has dropped all the carved tops. At least they haven’t listed any for a couple years. Edit: they do list the Eagle Classic but that must be a very recent change in the lineup.
  16. Posey

1990 J-50

This guitar is in excellent shape . Very light use . The back has a little worn spot that looks like stand rash. I think it may have been displayed somewhere. if you’re promoting something I thing you would use your best nota 2nd.
  17. Pioneer high school ? Sounds like it needed a name change as well as a teacher change. Equal Opportunity Offender.
  18. "The City of New Orleans". I wouldn't call it 'work, because I enjoy it. And I do it when I feel like it. No rush. Funny how a song you've 'heard a million times' suddenly attracts your attention. I assume it's not because the song changed, but because my musical taste/appreciation has. Last one I learned was from the musical "Hamilton". I have no idea what inspired me to tackle that one! "You'll Be Back". My problem (one of them) is that I've taken a vacay on keeping up on the playlist of songs I had nailed - for a couple of years. And they're starting to get fuzzy. I need to change my attitude and not let little things like cutting the grass get in the way. Since I have a small, captive audience of a wife and 3 dogs - there is no real 'fan appreciation' factor.
  19. It seems they left all the original archtop equipment at 225 Parsons, and I doubt Gibson could compete with those prices
  20. Bottier, Not sure how this differs from the characteristic sounds one gets from any other particular brand of guitar, electric or acoustic. RBSinTo
  21. I thought they were guitars or more correctly guitar makers? I wouldn’t doubt Henry J thought about buying a hardware store, he had 18 other stupid things he tried to sell. Now it’s $700 leather duffel bags. plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
  22. I'm currently working on Romanza, Spanish Romance. Here's a young Lady doing a particularly appealing rendition. Mine doesn't sound anything like this yet but we live in hope🙂
  23. Gibson -> Hammer! Fender -> Not a Hammer!
  24. I think decades back Gibson gave 2nds away to young artists for free and that those were branded as promo.
  25. I have a few songs that have been kicking around for a good while now but after Covid and some natural disasters and stuff in the last few years the band has only done a few gigs per year and its time to (hopefully) inject some new life into the setlist. On Saturday we should just about get the drums/bass/rhythm guitar to a decent enough level where we can record it to share around and work up lead guitar and vocals over the next couple of rehearsals. Whilst the songs actually feel a bit old to me now, its nice to see the boys getting enthused and working on their parts so I'm enjoying it quite a lot versus rehearsing the usual set
  1. Load more activity