Gibson Brands Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I think the nylon is hard but also slick so tools might tend to skate over it. With bone being a natural material, I imagine it has some microscopic structure that a file can bite into a bit easier The saw I’m describing is like a thin version of a hacksaw blade I got a pair of files from Stewmac that I think are advertised as nut/saddle shaping files which work really well but I haven’t tried them on nylon. The coarse side really hogs out material on bone one thing is that you want the nut or saddle to be held very firmly in a vise that is connected to a heavy bench. If the piece can move or vibrate you lose a lot of the energy you put in with hand tools a belt sander would probably be super aggressive. Probably not a bad idea if you need to remove a lot of material in a hurry, but it might cause the nylon to melt a bit and it wouldn’t be an ideal choice for refined shaping
  3. The coach house is cool but you’re either a cover band or a near-death senior citizen if you’re playing there My dad took me there to see Asia when I was a little kid lol. I knew nothing about Steve Howe or why my dad liked that cheesy band at the time I did get to see **** Dale there and in between stories of his colostomy bag etc the boy threw down an incredible performance
  4. Any idea what they’ll negotiate in price? 15-20% or ?
  5. It looks & sounds cool.. Install looks pretty easy.. Not too expensive.. I might have to buy another Acoustic so I can get one..
  6. Right? I'm not the world's biggest AC/DC fan - obviously they do what they do very well, and Malcolm was awesome and all that - but man, Brian Johnson killed it on this one.
  7. Sorry to hear that, but I think teachers (especially in todays environment) are at such a disadvantage because teachers are now baby sitters, and have to deal with disconnected parents that spend most of their time with their faces planted in their iPhones, when they should be reading to their kids and participating in their school assignments.... and the reality is generally kids and teenagers are shitheads... In my generation while in school I've experienced many disruptive kids. My mom especially, taught us that our function while at school was not to critique the teachers, but to contextualize what the books would show us, and if we needed clarity you raise your hand to get the needed assistance.
  8. That took impressive restraint. One of the two guitars I used to own that I still have twinges of regret about parting with was an early '30s roundhole L4 that came to me with massive holes from being fitted with magnetic pickups and controls, no frets, and much missing finish. I had it rebuilt by David Hosler (now at 7C in St Petersburg FL), just structural repair, no attempts at cosmetics or restoration. When I walked in to pick it up, Dave's first words were, "Normally these guitars don't sound so great, but this one does." And it DID, somehow sounding like a cross between the best of a Gibson archtop with a lovely old -45. Unbelievable "WHOMP!!" to the tone, just enough sustain - and tremendous clarity. If you played a clam, you (and everyone around you) heard it. It was an awesome guitar that changed how I hear guitars.
  9. Today
  10. Get the hell out of my class. Algebra teacher. I later excelled in math. Just needed a good teacher.
  11. I had the opposite situation. I barely had the credits to graduate in my senior year. Didn't enjoy high school at all. In fact I barely tolerated it. We were pretty poor, so I spent all my time at my job as a 3rd Manager at Hardee's. Extra work house meant extra money, and all of us kids helped our mom to pay the mortgage and utility bills. I made good grades in the classes I enjoyed, and flunked the classes that didn't inspire me. I made A's in Jr ROTC, English, Biology, History, Chemistry, etc. But math was another story. My Geometry teacher was bored, and hanging on for retirement. She put me right to sleep. My Algebra teacher was a narrow minded, dogmatic, angry person, and I literally couldn't understand a word he said. I don't mean to say that he spoke in concepts that were beyond my comprehension. I mean to say that he spoke in a form of southern colloquial English that was unintelligible to me. He may as well have had a mouthful of marbles for it mattered to me. One day early in my senior year in high school, a teacher handed me a note, telling me to report to the Principal's office. I left class and wandered the halls, looking for the Principal's office. I had no idea where it was, as I had never been in trouble, and had never the opportunity to visit there. Some girl coming in from the smoke break area pointed me in the right direction and I reported to some secretary lady. She ushered me into a Counselor's office directly. "John, I called you in here today because you lack the math credits to graduate with your class this year." "Wait, that can't be. I attended summer school just to get ahead. I have taken all kinds of math since I came to this school." "Yes, but you flunked most of those math classes. And Mister Fleming says that you regularly sleep through his Algebra II class, which you have failed out of more than once." "Well, this is not good. What can I do to graduate and get myself out of this place?" The counselor smiled. He sensed correctly that I detested the high school, and wanted out of there. "It's actually quite easy. You are about to finish the first Semester and go into the 2nd and last Semester of your senior year. I'm signing you up for Math 101. It's basic math aimed at Sophomore students, and I think you'll do just fine. Complete that class, and you will have enough credits to graduate with your class." "Outstanding. Thank you, sir." I shook his hand and went on my way. Sure enough, Math 101 was great. The teacher was brand new to the school, as he was fresh out of college, and just getting his feet under him. His name was Cletus Ray Faulk, and he was a great fellow. Lean, blonde haired, and wearing black horn rimmed glasses, he was pleasant, articulate, and possessing of a great sense of humor. I was seated in the middle of his class, among a small number of Sophomores, and a larger number of Seniors who, like me, needed that one math credit to graduate. Those guys were all football players, and barely fit in their school desks. I caught fire, and really loved the class. In short order, I was a teacher's assistant, and I spent time after class, tutoring other kids who weren't catching on so well. It was a great time, and one of my few positive memories of the high school experience. I graduated of course, and ended up joining the Army, and flying helicopters. The high math that I later took in college was a breeze to me, as I was blessed with one the best and most entertaining instructors I have ever known, Embry Riddle's Dr. Byrd. I spent most of my Army career as an Instructor Pilot, and I can honestly say that I turned out to be a really good teacher. I had learned the lessons that Dr Byrd, Mr. Faulk, and my Jr High school home room teacher, Ms. Susan Ray taught me; Make learning challenging but fun. Maintain high standards, but keep a sense of humor about yourself. No one single approach/method works for all students. Tailor your instruction toward each student's unique strengths and weaknesses. and, Aim for the highest levels of learning, not just "rote memorization and whatever it takes to pass the next test". Anyway. I'm gonna shut up now. 😐
  12. Isn’t that kinda the point of a ML? There isn’t any way to authentically age them artificially without damaging the finish. But that does seem a bit extreme. I agree with rct, worth a try to get a return, but be prepared to embrace the “enhancements.” Sorry dude.
  13. Many thanks for all your replies, as Bigtim suggests, "something to think about". I am quite surprised by the weight of those newer Classics, considering they are weight-relieved, my old Classic Antique weighs between 7 and 7.5lbs.
  14. "Dancing with Myself" -- Billy Idol
  15. Swede living in Stockholm. Now owner of a Les Paul 50's standard cherry red and an SG Standard '61 Cherry red And a bunch of Marshalls, Oranges, Fenders and pedals.
  16. I’ll have the DoveBurst, any Mule you can whip up, and while you are at it bewitch me a three blink Nora Jones at the piano to duet with. Long duets.
  17. Hi all, I’ve recently done some work on a friend’s mid-2000s 12 fret Faith parlour guitar, a really sweet little instrument that was hamstrung by a busted OEM barn door pickup/preamp. I removed the original electronics, did a setup, polished the frets and made a cover for the barn door hole from some EIR veneer, and installed a DeArmond Tone Boss soundhole pickup at the request of the owner. Not only is it a really stellar little guitar that is very well made, resonant and has a neck that I could play for days, I was also really impressed by the Tone Boss. It has a microphonic quality and picks up some top resonance and air, has a decent output level (surprisingly strong for a passive pickup) and is really responsive to dynamic shifts and attack changes. It has a very different character to my Sunrise pickups, and is more in line with Baggs units such as the M1 and M80 in Passive mode. Considering the price (around £80 in the UK) relative to Baggs mags (around three times that for the M80), I’d say that’s a fair achievement from DeArmond. The volume wheel on the pickup is a nice addition too, I found the sweet spot was backed off from full by about 1/5th of a turn. Sounded really nice through my AER amps. Great for fingerstyle and a nice wash for strumming too. I’ve been meaning to try one of these out for a long time. I may well put one in my CF100 copy as I’ve repurposed the Sunrise in that for another guitar, at £80 it’s hard to argue with the Tone Boss for an instrument that’s going to be doing occasional duty!
  18. That is a beautiful Collection of Acoustics my friend.. I do hope we get the opportunity to meet up one of these days & do some Pickin’ & Singin’!
  19. The ones of mine that I do not play go away...so I always do some trading and buying. But after I bought my 57 reissue....well my other Les Pauls went bye bye.......however......I did get an SG 61 RI.........just so if I go jam with others.....or whatever I take it instead of my reissue custom shop one. Only you would be able to answer your question.....are you going to put it aside like your traditional since you have a reissue 58?? Something to think about
  20. Lol. Man that was great stuff
  21. rct

My Hero

Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead. rct
  1. Load more activity