Gibson Brands Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. What neck was on it? The V necks I do not jive with from M. My HD-28V had one. I like the modern low oval ones.
  3. Closest I ever got to one was it was locked up in the special glass case at a Guitar Center I was in.
  4. Not really a Rock Doc, but I watched part 1 of a doc called Steve!, about Steve Martin. He does play banjo. Part one goes up to The Jerk. Need to watch the second one. He is a wild and crazy guy. Now he just does everything with Martin Short.
  5. As we know the Doves are pretty rare fliers living in an altitude of their own - and as we also know they are mighty fine guitars, , , not least as recorders.. It's good to celebrate the classic 62 once in while. So now now is now, , , and the remarkable difference makes this film special. Check the Quinton & Paul testers doin' their thing. And enjoy Apart from that they don't seem to answer the headline Q - well, , , never mind. . .
  6. Today
  7. 😄 If they did give free samples I would be planted at every See's Candy shop and I would get nothing done. My personal favorites are the dark chocolate molasses chips.... I think I may have muncheed myself into insulin shock a few times with those suckers.
  8. Almost Cut My Hair CSNY from Deja Vu, well Croz wrote it.
  9. I grew up in California, don’t think I didn’t see the See’s candy box. Bourdough is my favorite. And those old school suckers are killer. Do they still give free samples when you walk in.
  10. Well I appreciate that, Dave..............very generous of you, sir. Oh I like a big chunky neck profile. The Telecaster I just sold had a 0.997" girth at the first fret.............big ol' handful. I've owned a few Stratocasters in the past that had serious V profiles and were quite comfortable. It's not difficult to adjust to varying neck profiles. That said, I think the fever has passed. I certainly have no need for another guitar........it's a matter of suppressing the want. The 185 is a fine instrument, suits my style of play and has taken a big turn for the better with a set of Jumbo King mediums.......0.013-0.056" down a half step. I really like these RotoSound strings and the heavier gauge feels really good here. I'd say they feel a shade softer than 0.012" gauge tuned to pitch but have more volume, a solid feel under the fingers and better balance across the fingerboard. As an unexpected benefit, the intonation is much improved..........the 0.012" high E in particular was a bit wonky across the first three frets.......all good now. Thanks for your input, gentlemen............my apologies for the false alarm.
  11. Looks to be a 58-59 Les Paul Junior, but the pickup hole is curious. These had P90s and the hole is too large for that. Head stock looks wrong where it blends into the neck. The bevel on the upper part of the body looks wrong. No serial number evident. Weird.
  12. The headstock and "neck heel from hell" stingers are painted. Now for some cleanup work and the stain for the body and neck.
  13. slimt

1990 J-50

Mahogany back and sides. It was Normal. I had a few of those. I would price it no differently than a used J45.
  14. slimt

1990 J-50

I was at his place last Aug He is doing fine. Talked to him last week. I think hes ready for some warm weather. Us up north keep sending him snow. 😁 as for the J50 ya. They did do dark sides with a lighter back. Ive had a few of those.
  15. He has a song called Wreck Of The Barbie Ferrari and an album titled Little Head. I’m so easily led when the little head does the thinking. Seen John twice. Met him the second time I saw him.
  16. how did I forget Spinal Tap ???? lolol. good call
  17. Praying for you, John. For peace and healing. A story for you. Not precisely the same thing, but I understand catharsis, and how divesting sentimental things can help with moving forward: A few years ago, I advised a lady out west on the potential sale of her 30+ year old Stratocaster. I provided a valuation, and gave her lots of good advice on how to sell it via Craigslist, Reverb, or local Classified adverts. (She lived near a major metropolitan city in the western United States.) The lady was a really nice person, and I liked her a lot. I checked on her months later, to see how she was doing, and to see if she had sold the guitar. She was frustrated, and fearful of meeting strangers, and haggling over the cost of the Strat. Finally she blurted, "Well, why don't you buy the guitar? I trust you, after all!" I replied that the shipping costs would be wicked high, and make the entire venture not very satisfying for either of us. But I did check with FedEx, and it turned out that shipping from there to northern Alabama would be less than $100. And the guitar would be in its original hard shell case. So, I called her and chatted about it, and mailed her a check for $1,300. $1,200 for the 1991 Strat Plus, and $100 for the shipping. She shipped the guitar to me within the week. When I opened the guitar case, in the presence of my wife and my bass playing buddy, we were stunned. The guitar was pristine. Brand new. 31 years old, and it was untouched. Still had the original strings on it. All the original case candy, strap, spare strings, Fender picks, Fender strap locks. The original sales receipt from 1991. It had never been played. So, the back story. The lady who shipped the guitar had been a struggling young waitress in California, decades before. She was in love with a local guitar player. The moon rose and set on this guy. She was mad about him. He had only a crappy Strat-copy, and he had a birthday coming up. So she went to a reputable guitar store, and put a down payment on a brand new 1991 Strat Plus. She didn't make much money, but she paid on the guitar in installments, while the guitar store guy held it for her. At some point, she got off early from work, and drove by the bar or club where her beloved was loading in for a gig that evening. She walked into the darkened club, and headed for the stage area. Back in the dark corner behind the stage, she saw her fellow, leaned up against the wall, and smooching on a little bar girl. He was kissing on her, rubbing her tender bits, and whispering passionate sweet things into her ear. My friend turned and walked out, and never, ever called him or saw him ever again. Months later, the guitar was paid off, and she slipped the case under her bed. It stayed there. Life moved on, and so did our lady. She moved to another State, kept getting better jobs, and eventually married a wonderful, faithful man. The guitar moved wherever she moved, and it stayed in the case, untouched, under her bed. After many years, she decided that the old memories, and the guitar, needed to be put out of her life. The guitar playing lothario had died a few seasons earlier, and the guitar was just taking up space under her bed, and in her heart. She posted to a guitar valuation website where I worked as an Admin and Moderator, and requested the info on how to sell the guitar. A year of communication between us later, and much soul-searching on her part, it was in my hands, and everybody turned that corner. My friend is happy now. Life is good for her. And that (now 33 year old) Strat is my one and only. I can never sell it. I promised the lady that much. It's actually in my Last Will & Testament, going to my granddaughter whenever I pass on some day. Anyway, long rambling story. Peace to you, my brother. Life it going to be good. Not as good as when your wife was here with you, but surely a different form of goodness. I pray it is so. ❤️
  18. Sister Mary Elephant, Sargeant Stadenko ... lol
  19. Hi all, I was given this guitar a short while ago by my Daughters partner. It used to be his fathers but his dad is long gone. Apparently this is how the guitar has always been, no hardware at all , just the two bridge screws. Apparently it was "very rare" and his fathers pride and joy and used to hang on a wall in the studio. There are some things about it that are odd. Firstly, the pickup cut out is larger than the usual LPJ and the only numbers stamped are 22 where the pickup goes (indicate number of frets??) and the serial number 0001 stamped in the same place above the 22. I have tried to include photos of this. It is fixed neck, quite heavy and more likely mahogony by the feel of it. Anyway , please see the photos and hopefully someone may know what exactly this is. Possible an early prototype?? Paul Video containing photos below
  20. Last time I heard from Hogeye was 2022. He was encouraging me to bring a u-haul to Bozeman so I could buy out the contents of his storage shed. I drive 150 miles and I’m ready for a nap.
  21. We all saw he also goes to church with it? 😁
  1. Load more activity