Gibson Brands Forums

Why is this Bird' sounding so sick .. ?

EuroAussie

Was pretty excited about getting back to my local guitar shop as I read on their site a new Bird' flew in last week.

Took her eagerly and then you should see my face when I heard the tone. While the top three strings sounded sweet as pie, the EAD bass strings literally sounded like rubber band strings, just dead as a door nail.

Took a good look over, structurally all seems fine, action perfect and the strings only one week old, they sounded like Gibson Masterbuilts.

Took this video today to share with you, please focus on the bass strings. Is it just me or is this one dead bird ?

Frustrates me when I see such examples, just gives fuel for the basheers, and in this case, rightly so ... !

Whoops you look disappointed.

Sounds like very old strings (which ones btw) – It's not a fountain of a Standard Bird, but I kind of like withheld tone/your recording.

Idea :

Why not ask the guy to put on a new set and then make a similar video - Do you know him that well. . . . .

I just told him to send it back to the distributor frankly .. but I was talkign to the head of bass, so he's probably forgotten about it by now. But I swear the strings are very new, this is the thing. Took a good look at them and they are fresh. This guitar only arrived last week ...

I have to say the HB Standard is the model in the current line up that by far was the most inconsistent from the ones Ive tried in last two years,many disappointing examples, the J-200 not far behind. (although there is a killer J-200 Studio in there right now). The Songwriter on the other hand was a winner every one I tried.

Whoops you look disappointed.

Sounds like very old strings (which ones btw) – It's not a fountain of a Standard Bird, but I kind of like withheld tone/your recording.

Idea :

Why not ask the guy to put on a new set and then make a similar video - Do you know him that well. . . . .

Sorry to hear that you're disappointed, but I'm not really hearing what you are hearing. Bass strings sound OK to me. You obviously have a pretty light touch, so that might be contributing to the quietness of the guitar in general. Try really banging on it more on just some open chords and see if you notice any difference.

Agree - try new strings.

Also, I find some new Gibson acoustics sound tight on the low end when compared to the high end on the same guitar, especially with a tusq saddle. I've got a 200 that I swapped out tusq for bone saddle and it sounded much better. Still took a few months to "open up" all the way on the low end.

Agree - try new strings.

Also, I find some new Gibson acoustics sound tight on the low end when compared to the high end on the same guitar, especially with a tusq saddle. I've got a 200 that I swapped out tusq for bone saddle and it sounded much better. Still took a few months to "open up" all the way on the low end.

B/K what kind of saddle did you use ( Colossi ? ) and did it make a bid difference ?

my 200 has a slight buzz sound but its not the frets ( I think its from the saddle ) and was thinking of getting a new saddle

Colosi bone saddle. . . . . . . . . . (Since I was getting the saddle, I ordered bone pins too.. B) )

The bone saddle made a very noticeable difference. It sounded much better. And then to my surprise, a few months down the road the guitar opened up and man it sounds so good now. I made the change after Buc posted about a tusq for bone swap he did that he was very happy with.

If you've got a UST, pull the saddle and make sure the transducer and channel are clean and that the transducer is laying flat in the channel. Check to make sure the bottom of the saddle is flat - completely flat, and then set it in the channel making sure it's flat against the transducer and doesn't rock (which would indicate something isn't flat).

Sorry to sidetrack your thread EA. . [wink]

I've got a 200 that I swapped out tusq for bone saddle and it sounded much better.

It'll soon be time for me to make this move. I've had it in mind for some time and look forward to it as a delicacy kept in the fridge for after midnite -

Still took a few months to "open up" all the way on the low end.

Didn't you mention 18 month at some point. . . .

You need a set up by a competent Luthier.

I own a 2003 and a 2010 standard Bird. Not all Birds are equal. I had to play several from GC, Sam Ash, Best Buy, small guitar stores until I found these two.

In my search the biggest downer was the low E string giving a "Thud" sound, At least 4 of the Birds I played had the "Thud" problem. (J45s too)

Now that being said, I am sure if the stores spent the time to change strings, adjust the neck, check out the saddle and nut, and frets, those Birds would probably play fine.

The 2003 has had two setups, the 2010 has needed no set ups, really didn't need strings but i changed them anyway.

There is something about that HummingBird tone that enthralls me. My favorite acoustic guitar for sure.

There is something about that HummingBird tone that enthralls me.

Heard.

Would have said the same thing if I only had known the word enthrall.

Thanks - been looking for something in that area.

Learn quite a lot here.

Enthralling !

It'll soon be time for me to make this move. I've had it in mind for some time and look forward to it as a delicacy kept in the fridge for after midnite -

Didn't you mention 18 month at some point. . . .

Yes, I had it for quite a while before I gave up on the tusq, maybe a year. I hung on because I play it amped some of the time and tusq is allegedly one of the best saddle materials for UST usage. After I made the change to bone I liked the acoustic sound so much better and the amped sound was as excellent as ever. As I mentioned, a few months later the guitar sounded even better as it had finally opened up all the way. BTW, a ToneRite was not used in the maturing of my instrument.. :P

And I hope that delicacy waiting for you in the fridge turns out to be a feast for the senses. . B)

Don't worry about that Bird. I picked up my new Bird last year right from Montana. I was there with the shop owner to open the shipping box. The guitar sounded rather dull, ok not as dull as this one it seems (although it is a recording). But I fell in love with in a way and decided to give her a chance. Now a year later she already sounds way different than that first strum. I wonder what it will be like 5yrs down the road.

Hmm, I dont buy these 'it needs time to open up' arguments. Ive played enough Gibsons to know they should sound stellar right from the beginning, as most do. Listening back it sounds a bit better from the listeners point of view then when i played it. It was really actually difficul to play those bass notes as no life was coming out of them, it sounded worse from the players point of view.

I hope this was an issue with the strings, even though they are fresh I know that it could be a dud set. Ill have a chat with the boys at the shop, I know them well and bought my AL SJ there, plus lots of bits and pieces. However if its not the strings a 2.5k Gibson should never sound like this, and I certainly would not buy one hoping it would 'open' and make me happy after some time. It should sound absolutely stellar right from the first strum or pluck. It was a pretty disappointing day I must say.

• Upvote 1

It's probably the strings... age has nothing to do with it. Some strings are just lousy right out of the box. Chances are some or all were replaced due to breakage. Dealers don't always use OEMs for replacements. If you're really interested in buying it, tell the acoustic room attendant your wish to purchase, "but not if it sounds like this." The shop manager would surely spring for a new set of OEM strings to seal the deal on a $3000 guitar. If a new set of OEM strings doesn't do the trick. Take a pass.

I have played a few REALLY good Bird's...in fact, I nearly bought on back when I was looking for a Martin 000 or OM.

But, yea, played some really unusually dull sounding ones. It makes me wonder, if it didn't have something to do with the electronics or the bridge materiel they were using. The good ones I played didn't have any.

I have never had a guitar I couldn't 'wake up' by altering string brand and gauge, but these have all been electrics.

One of the reasons for buying a NEW guitar, is choice. SELECTION. I like really bright guitars, mainly because I am good at strumming "mellow" if I want, and I like the color and harmonics a bright guitar has. I just love bright guitars. So, when I was shopping, I just put the dull ones down. I spent lots of time playing ones I liked.

I would be curious to know what the reason, or fix is.

Well EA it is clear that that guitar is not for you and perhaps you should just look forward at finding one that suits and the sound that you are looking for. I am sure it is exactly what someone else is looking for and it will find a good and loving home. All of the regulars here on the forum know that each guitar is individual and no two are exactly the same sound, burst, different wood etc. New Strings may do the trick, who knows? Perhaps the ball end is not snugged up to the bridge pins, there are alot of variables.

JM

I think it's necessary to remember that a considerable percentage of the Birds simply don't say that much from birth. And they don't project the way f.x. 45's do, which can be seen as a bit of a mystery.

Looking back on these pages, it is possible to find my touch-downs on the topic. In different threads from last year you will hear me wonder where the dreadnaught power and bass is – and hear me ask about the semi-vague projection. Without making final judgments, I theorize – like EA did later – about the thick guard playing a role, , , or comment the lack volume by explaining it as if it did.

Today - a handful of months later - I know slightly more and excuse me guys, , , , I have to say that age matters. A certain number of these guitars need time to loosen up. In that process everything gets freer and both bass and overall voice increases. Still most Birds will be quieter than other dreads, amongst them Gibson slopes.

Several times I have called for new Bird owners to chime in and add their versions of getting to know this model. A few did. The majority very pleased and that's all fine, but I'm almost sure the bigger part of these HB's could be considered quieter than an average dread. Now that doesn't mean they are dead of course, no way. Still the topic is sensitive and highly interesting.

My Bird has changed a fair deal in my possession, that's for sure – so would the dull one in Prague if it got played up. Not saying it'll ever become an ace, but it would ease out and release other stronger energies over time.

Keep the posts comin' – we need to share and compare to get wiser.

The whole trip with my own will get a smaller review here when we reach the 1 year date in the early summer.