Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Low-Impedance Guitars Club

btoth76

Thanks mate! I still havent sold yet! :(

Hello!

Sorry to hear that! I guess, it will take some time for collectors to recognize this model. Then...it will be really sought-after guitar.

Good luck! [thumbup]

Cheers... Bence

If anyone is looking for a Shure A95U complete with lead I have one to dispose of.

It is not the Gibson badged version it came from Shure.

DG

Hello Dave!

I would have gladly bought it from You, but with all the shipping costs and import duties (and the stupid 27% VAT in Hungary) it wouldn't have been a clever option for me. Anyways, I finally found an A85F in the UK - same as A95U(F) but with a jack plug at high-Z end instead of the socket. Hopefully it arrives next week.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Dave!

I would have gladly bought it from You, but with all the shipping costs and import duties (and the stupid 27% VAT in Hungary) it wouldn't have been a clever option for me. Anyways, I finally found an A85F in the UK - same as A95U(F) but with a jack plug at high-Z end instead of the socket. Hopefully it arrives next week.

Cheers... Bence

Bence,

I am in the UK?

DG

Well, I picked it up about 2 hours ago from the Post Office, it arrived in great shape! The seller did a great job packing it. I'm still in shock!! It plays like a Les Paul Custom of the same era. Either my adrenalin is pumped, or this thing is a lot lighter than my LP Professional or the LP Bass. I'll set things up & take some better photos in the next couple weeks............

DSC08136_zpse903963a.jpg

• Upvote 1

The guitar seemed to get heavier, as the newness wore off, so I pulled out the scale. The Personal is 11.4 lbs and the Professional is 10.6 lbs. I sure got that one wrong, I thought for sure the Personal was a lot lighter than the Professional!

The guitar seemed to get heavier, as the newness wore off, so I pulled out the scale. The Personal is 11.4 lbs and the Professional is 10.6 lbs. I sure got that one wrong, I thought for sure the Personal was a lot lighter than the Professional!

There was a time when Les experimented with Railway Ties.

11.4 lbs was a compromise!!

DG

P.S. It still looks BEAUTIFUL!

I tried pluging a standard XLR mic in the XLR jack, no sound. The last listing I was following stated that the mic jack didn't work also. Didn't they wire some of the older mics differently. It looks as if I am the first person to plug anything into the jack, I doubt it's a malfunction. Any ideas?

I tried pluging a standard XLR mic in the XLR jack, no sound. The last listing I was following stated that the mic jack didn't work also. Didn't they wire some of the older mics differently. It looks as if I am the first person to plug anything into the jack, I doubt it's a malfunction. Any ideas?

Grog,

If you examine the Guitar Lead which comes with the Transformer you "should" find that it is UNBALANCED? That is what is required for an LPR. My lead is unbalanced.

The goose neck microphone could be the same?

I haven't seen a Personal Wiring Diagram in a long time but it might be worth investigating one?

DG

Grog,

If you examine the Guitar Lead which comes with the Transformer you "should" find that it is UNBALANCED? That is what is required for an LPR. My lead is unbalanced.

The goose neck microphone could be the same?

I haven't seen a Personal Wiring Diagram in a long time but it might be worth investigating one?

DG

I'll have to take it apart & look when I get home. I brought it over to a friends house yesteday to show him & we tried a few of his mics, he had a few old ones & it didn't seem to make any difference. This wasn't a super popular feature, or all Les Pauls would be sporting a mic jack today! I found this schematic reference on line...............

http://www.sommercable.com/2__produkte/2__130_support/340_belegungsplaene/belegungsplaene/nf_kabel.htm

I might be completely wrong, but the Personal's output jack is stereo, isn't it? One of the output terminals assigned for the mic signal... :-k

Cheers... Bence

Hi Bence, it looks like you hit the nail on the head, the guitar does seem to have a stereo jack, if not just to have a special lead to send the mic to a different amp. It looks like I might have to make up a special chord, and find a unbalanced mic. Here is a quote from a web page....

"The guitar's output jack is a regular 1/4" jack (although the LPP's is stereo so you can pluck the microphone signal off separately). The transformer's XLR connection uses only 2-conductors (signal and ground), which I think makes it an unbalanced line. Once you get the cord plugged in the correct way, you can begin to muck around with all the switches and controls."

"The guitar's output jack is a regular 1/4" jack (although the LPP's is stereo so you can pluck the microphone signal off separately). The transformer's XLR connection uses only 2-conductors (signal and ground), which I think makes it an unbalanced line. Once you get the cord plugged in the correct way, you can begin to muck around with all the switches and controls."

Hello Grog!

Yes, that's what I've read somewhere too!

By the way, I got mine Shure A85F transformer. I've connected it into a regular tube amp with a male XLR-mono Jack cable, which has been modified (Pin 1 and 3 connected on the cable). It now has the proper volume with the Low-Z output. Is it OK to connect this way? I just want to be sure I am doing everything right...

Thanks in advance... Bence

Hello Grog!

Yes, that's what I've read somewhere too!

By the way, I got mine Shure A85F transformer. I've connected it into a regular tube amp with a male XLR-mono Jack cable, which has been modified (Pin 1 and 3 connected on the cable). It now has the proper volume with the Low-Z output. Is it OK to connect this way? I just want to be sure I am doing everything right...

Thanks in advance... Bence

Bence,

Here is the AMPLIFIER end of my cable:

shure-a95u.jpg

On the subject of the LPP output:

If you look at pictures of Les with his White Personal it begins to make more sense. It looks like he has a short Stereo Lead coming out of the guitar into the Paulveriser and the amp lead comes from there. The mike lead possibly went down the same cable which went to the hidden gear offstage.

Why would the schematic have been updated in '75 (as it clearly shows) - the guitar went out of production in 70/71?

DG

• Upvote 1

Using the supplied or standard guitar jack, the mic circuit would be shorted, or grounded out. That along with the fact that is is unbalanced, I had two factors against me. I 'll have to make a box, or my own Les Paulverizer, that will split the guitar & the mic into their own amps. Or, get a stereo jack & possibly join the tip & first ring together & adapt it to a standard 1/4 jack. Then Guitar & mic will both go into the same amp.......

Bence,

Here is the AMPLIFIER end of my cable:

shure-a95u.jpg

DG

Hello Dave!

Sorry for being a fool, but I am new to this very interesting model, as You know. :)

If You read the manual for the transformer, it says, for low-impedance (19 to 75 Ohms) connect pins 1 and 3 on the XLR-end of the transformer. I didn't disassemble the transformer, instead I did that on the XLR end of the guitar cable. Does it make any difference, or shall I make this conversion on the transformer itself?

(Please refer to document: http://cdn.shure.com/user_guide/upload/634/us_pro_a95u_ug.pdf - "LOW IMPEDANCE SELECTION" section)

Thank You again, and sorry for disturbing...

Cheers... Bence