Gibson Brands Forums

L6-S Fan Club

JamGuy

I just traded my 1978 Deluxe in for a Fender American Deluxe Strat -- along with emptying my EBay account that brought the price down to something that got through the appropriations committee.

Miss it though, now I"m looking for a mid 70's L6-S Custom, it would be fun to play with the various options. My Deluxe strat has the S1 switching, it requires a cheat sheet to figure out which of the 10 settings you want [confused]

92918d1372258551-howdy-dallas-ngd-fgd-l6-sandsg.jpg

Here's a pic of my L6-S. It's all original and I believe its a 73. Cherry Sunburst with Ebony fret board. I ran the serial number through the database and it also came back as a 70, 71, or 72. A few years ago i checked the pot dates and got November 1973 so I'm guessing its late 73 or maybe early 74.

l6-s_zps4e40a95e.jpg

In the early 1980s I saw and heard two guitarists of the local scene play the natural finished original L6-S which later had been called Custom. Production had ceased already two years ago I think.

Since that time I always was interested in buying a used L6S.

Then in 2011 there appeared a remake which was far from the original from the peghead down to pickups and bridge. However, I checked out one in Antique Natural and bought it on May 18th, 2012.

On July 1st, 2012 I finally found a used one and drove 1650 kilometers (about 1000 miles) to buy it. Sadly there are troubles with workmanship since the bushings for the bridge screws are slanted in a different angle, and so the bridge is broken around the screw on the bass side. I tried with spare parts from the USA made in Japan if it might work better, but it didn't help.

Another strange find was that touching of the neck pickup led to loud hum when it was active. I discovered that the neck pickup's plate and cover weren't grounded which I later found on detailed pics on the web on another L6-S, too. I created a dedicated ground connection for the neck pickup.

On June 1st, 2013 I bought the last 2011 L6S Thomann had in stock. It has a Silverburst finish. I just had to have it since my 2011 L6S is one of my favorites for practicing, for the 24 frets as well as for its tonal flexibility.

On both the 2011 L6Ses I rewired the 2nd tone control from between volume pot and output to between six-position selector switch out and volume pot. This makes it much more effective when connecting the guitar to a 1 MegOhms load as I usually do.

I don't own a digital camera, and so I will post pics after returning of the drummer of my band from his vacation.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I used two LS-sii in the 70's.  I remember them being Bill Lawrence pickups.  For whatever reason, I remember them being not standard humbucker size, like Fender and their Wide Range Humbuckers.  But I may remember wrong.

Good luck with it.  They were great guitars and I miss them both.

rct

I have done some research and you're right. They used Bill Lawrence ceramic sealed Humbuckers. The pots look to be 500k but I believe one is 300 maybe? My son was distracting me while I was looking so I may be wrong. I'm hoping to get as close to the original parts as possible. However, I'm finding out lately that's going to be a challenge. I remember the amazing sound and the diverse range that my grandfather could achieve with this beauty. So it's worth all the headache to keep it original. Thank you all for your help.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I bought the original L6-S when it came out in 1973, on W. 48th St. in Manhattan. 
There were so many stores that sold instruments on that street that we called it Music Street.  Anyway, I plunked down $350 for it back then (a small fortune for a teenager like I was, making $1.25 per hour working at the Brooklyn Public Library). I still have that guitar and of all the guitars I’ve ever owned, it’s my favorite! I played it in all the punk/new wave/folk rock clubs on the NYC scene in the late 1970s-early 1980s. It’s taken a licking, but it’s still ticking.  I think it’s a thing of beauty, but I seen lots of comments online saying that it’s ugly! Go figure!

-Russ 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have an L6-S Midnight Special with the Serial Number 513996...the Gibson logo is missing from the headstock like it fell off...did they use decals in those days, and how can I find the year of manufacture? I've read from 74-79, but is there a way to know? 

Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...

2023 marks FIFTY years since I bought my first professional-quality electric guitar, the Gibson L6-S. I bought it for $350 from Sam Ash on West 48th Street in NYC — back then that was a fortune for a guy like me, who was making $1.25 per hour working at the Brooklyn Public Library! It’s been through a lot — many gigs in the NY club scene, several thousand hours of being played and even some blood, sweat and tears! It’s rare for a guitar to be kept in good condition for so long, and maintain its playability/quality, but this one has done that. Its beautiful maple body and neck, top-quality hardware and electronics certainly helped. Long live the L6-S, which I still happily play every day!!!

L6-S_50years_FB_481k.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...