Gibson Brands Forums

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

ksdaddy

I have two Gibson acoustics, a 1937 HG-00 and a 1937 Type-3 ukulele.

The HG-00 is the sort of guitar I have always wanted and I don't mind saying I paid more or less full retail for it just a couple weeks ago. It has been beautifully repaired and sounds fantastic. My uncle had an old Gibson he never let me play even once, so I have always coveted these guitars.

1016520_10151733441895070_299571369_n_zps84292a25.jpg

Wow ! That's a fine loking '37 - how wide is that fretboard?

... always intrigued by Gibson's and two months ago I traded in the takamine and got a j45 custom with the fleur de lis. I just love that guitar, but I love the Martin too. I'm not good, but I'm good enough to enjoy myself and my kids don't yell at me for practicing anymore. My proudest achievement was playing "mood for a day" by Yes enough to recognize the tune, now I'm learning fingerprinting blues and the j45 custom is great for it.

Lots of J-45 love around here - its a gas just pickin' and strummin' even for an audience of one. Welcome to the boards.

We're addicted to pictures... would love to see your custom.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

Wow ! That's a fine loking '37 - how wide is that fretboard?

Thanks!

I measured at the nut and it was just under 2". Elsewhere on this board I saw someone say their '37 was 1 15/16 at the nut and that seems just about right. About 2 1/4 at the twelfth fret.

Hello all from Austin, Texas. I have been a regular on both Guild and Martin forums. Over the years I have owned and still own good examples of both brands. I gravitate towards smaller body guitars (i.e. L-00, LG) but have always found the sloped shouldered Jumbos to have a great blend of comfort and mojo. I still do not own a Gibson but some of the best guitars I have ever tried have been current builds such as a L-00 Legend and Fuller's J35 reissue. My interest in Gibson re-emerged when I tried a new J35 at my local GC. I typically do not care for the guitars tried at GC, but this one really stood out. It was warm, clear, and had that distinctive Gibson low E thump. Spending time on other brand specific forums provided me with lots of knowledge about the specs and build process of those brands and helped me make an educated decision when it came time to purchase. Of course, playing the instrument is still the most important factor. So I am joining this forum because I realized I really know nothing about Gibson and would like to educate my self….because, well, I see a Jumbo in my future.

That could double as a landing strip for small aircraft ! 1.75 preferred here, 1.82 max. 2 " and I'd have to throw in the towel.

HA! the salesman at the vintage shop has known me for 14 years and the conversation about that guitar started with "you like little guitars with huge necks, right?"

• 2 weeks later...

Mac saying hello, my two Gibbys are a J200 (one year old) and a J-185 (12 years old) I have several 12-string acoustics, but the Gibson is my favourite-nice and warm sounding-I wish now I'd hung back, and bought an older J200, but their way too expensive for me,-I'll just have to keep playing more Pete Townsend stuff, and get her played-in!

Mac saying hello, my two Gibbys are a J200 (one year old) and a J-185 (12 years old) I have several 12-string acoustics, but the Gibson is my favourite-nice and warm sounding-I wish now I'd hung back, and bought an older J200, but their way too expensive for me,-I'll just have to keep playing more Pete Townsend stuff, and get her played-in!

Welcome aboard the Gibson Acoustic bandwagon! Couple of nice guitars in your description - are they blondes or brunettes?

Nice! Think you've just won "Biggest TV on the Forum" Award too.

I've already posted a couple of times, and thought I'd stop and introduce myself. My online handle is Phelonious Ponk, but P will do. I play more electric than acoustic these days, but those are G&Ls...not of much use here. My first good acoustic, bought new at Hoot Gibson Music in Springfield, Illinois, was a '67-'68 Southern Jumbo. Not a great guitar, frankly. I traded it after a few years for a J-200 or about the same vintage, had the tune-a-matic pulled and replaced with bone. It was much better and was my #1 for the next 25 years. Then I went through a long string of acoustics looking for the one -- Larrivees, Taylors, a Lowden, a Thompson, a Greven...and I finally ended up back home in Gibson land with a 2003 Original Jumbo. Great guitar. Delivers a big, fat whack to the side of the head (with a shimmer on top) when played hard. Dances and sparkles like fairy princesses on a frozen pond when played gently. And it loves double dropped D. Anybody who thinks Gibby acoustics are dead needs to hear this one. And the j-35 I played at Sam Ash the other day.

Nice place you got here.

P

Glad to be here...I am new to the forum. I just returned to Gibson after a 40 year hiatus, my first guitar as a teen was an ES-125TC...should never have let that one go. I am just about completely acoustic now, owning Larrivees, Breedlove, and Martins...I needed a Gibson in the stable so I just picked up a J-35...I will review it tonight. Again, glad to be here, and looking forward to being a a part of the forum.

Glad to be here...I am new to the forum. I just returned to Gibson after a 40 year hiatus, my first guitar as a teen was an ES-125TC...should never have let that one go. I am just about completely acoustic now, owning Larrivees, Breedlove, and Martins...I needed a Gibson in the stable so I just picked up a J-35...I will review it tonight. Again, glad to be here, and looking forward to being a a part of the forum.

Nice assortment ! Welcome to the coolest little corner of the internet - quite a nice global community of players, collectors, pros and hacks. [biggrin] I'm a happy hack !

Hello all...I'm returning to the forum after several years. Couldn't believe my login and password was still working. Been through some extremely tough times the past few years...however I know what doesn't kill you will make you stronger! Still have several Gibson acoustics & electrics and have added a few more members to the collection. Anyways....Greetings from South Carolina. Good to be back on theforum.

Hello,

My name is Francesc from Chicago (IL), and I have been playing guitar for 25 years now. I am an 'intermediate' player who I guess never had all the time I always wanted to play play and play ... But anyhow, I love music, and I love to play the guitar.

I JUST finally ended my guitar hunt this past weekend, and bought an incredible beauty: the Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio. I am extremely happy with the purchase. It really took me a long time checking different stores in different states, checking Taylors, Martins, and Gibsons, and this one IS for sure the perfect fit! Hands down!

The styles I enjoy playing on an acoustic guitar are finger picking, and stuff like Springsteen, Dylan, and classic rock and pop tunes. I also like blues, but have not get into playing a lot of it with the acoustic. I enjoy singing along with it, not just playing.

I guess this is a good intro of myself.

Hello everyone,

I am from Baton Rouge, La. Yesterday my brand new Gibson J-45 arrived. I was at the Gibson shop in Memphis last week and they had a J-45 standard on the wall. Played it a little while then walked over to where my wife was sitting on the couch and sat down. Played a little longer and she looked over - "Do you want that guitar?"... I love that woman.

They shipped it to my house and I spent a good 3 hours playing last night.

The TONE,, The TONE, The TONE.

I tried several other more expensive models at the store but the J-45 nailed it. I even recorded a couple of covers last night and sent them to my wife..

She said they were sweet....

Nuff said. Love my J-45. Can't wait to play tonight.

Cajun

Welcome to the wondeful world of Gibsons Cajun - every American ought to be issued a J-45 at about age 14. Such an iconic and fun guitar - really sets the standard for a good all-rounder. Post a picture - we're audio / visual nuts. here's how:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

Hi,

New member with a new J-35. First guitar I've owned that's prompted me to join a forum!

Got to say after owning more than 10 acoustic's including the usual Martin, Taylor, Tanglewood & Breedlove etc. I'm blown away with the sound and feel of my Gibson.

This seems like a laid back place too, friendly and helpful (all ready planning to try the boot polish trick this weekend).

Glad to meet you all

Graham

Oh yea I'm from NE England

Welcome to the J-35 Club Graham. Not sure there really isa club, but at the rate these seem to be falling off the shelves there ought to be ! Careful with the shoe polish - you're going after the tuners buttons, right? Good luck - I did the coffee thing, ok, I over-did the coffee thing and my bridge pins came out with a wonderful hue of dark-pink. So much so that my wife made a wise crack about 'em. Post a before and after pic !