Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Deluxe 1975

minich

Hi, I have a Les Paul Deluxe 1975. On it are mini humbuckers in the format P-90.

S1140001.jpg

Recently I saw on eBay almost the guitar like me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Deluxe-RARE/191001868906?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3466799598210705998%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D331082141658%26

In the description of the seller writes that such humbuckers set nominally for a limited time in 1975-76. Is this true?

I saw two more Les Paul Deluxe precisely these model years and it is the same color with a mini humbucker in the format P-90.

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't know what you mean by "format p90". P90s are single coil pups, humuckers are not.

The mini humbucker were short lived, a result of Gibson purchasing Epiphone and acquiring the old stock which they used up.

Les Paul Deluxe, was supplied with "Mini-humbuckers" from it's inception!

Some could (later) be ordered with Full Sized humbuckers. And, in some cases

the owners themselves would change out the mini's to P-90's, for their own

purposes, or preferences. But, "stock" they all had Mini-humbuckers, unless

special ordered, to the contrary. There was later, a Les Paul "Pro Deluxe,"

that featured P-90's, as "stock" pickups from the factory.

See article, below: (Wikipedia)

The Deluxe was among the "new" 1968 Les Pauls. This model featured "mini-humbuckers", also known as "New York" humbuckers, and did not initially prove popular. The mini-humbucker pickup fit into the pre-carved P-90 pickup cavity using an adaptor ring developed by Gibson (actually just a cut-out P90 pickup cover) in order to use a supply of Epiphone mini-humbuckers left over from when Gibson moved Epiphone production to Japan. The DeLuxe was introduced in late 1968 and helped to standardize production among Gibson's US-built Les Pauls. The first incarnation of the Deluxe featured a one-piece body and slim three-piece neck in late 1968. The "pancake" body (thin layer of maple on top of two layers of Honduran mahogany) came later in 1969. In late 1969, a small "volute" was added. 1969 Deluxes feature the Gibson logo devoid of the dot over the "i" in Gibson. By late 1969/early 1970, the dot over the "i" had returned, plus a "Made In USA" stamp on the back of the headstock. The Deluxe could be special ordered with full-size Humbucker T-Top pickups, these full size versions of the Deluxe were "Standard" spec. They were also available with "Gibson" embossed pickups in 1972 only; these are considered rare, as only 9 were produced. David Bowie Can be seen playing one of the 1972 "Standards" in his 1972 release Jean Genie video. By 1975, the neck construction was changed from mahogany to maple, until the early 1980s, when the construction was returned to mahogany. The body changed back to solid mahogany from the pancake design in late 1976 or early 1977. Interest in this particular Les Paul model was so low that in 1985, Gibson canceled the line. However, in 2005, the Deluxe was with more popularity due to its association with Pete Townshend [1] and Thin Lizzy.

In 1978 the Les Paul Pro Deluxe was introduced. This guitar featured P-90 pickups instead of the "mini-humbuckers" of the Deluxe model, an ebony fingerboard, maple neck, mahogany body and chrome hardware. It came in Ebony, Cherry Sunburst, Tobacco Sunburst or Gold finishes. Interestingly, it was first launched in Europe, rather than the US. It was discontinued in 1983.

CB

Hi, I have a Les Paul Deluxe 1975. On it are mini humbuckers in the format P-90.

S1140001.jpg

Recently I saw on eBay almost the guitar like me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Deluxe-RARE/191001868906?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3466799598210705998%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D331082141658%26

In the description of the seller writes that such humbuckers set nominally for a limited time in 1975-76. Is this true?

I saw two more Les Paul Deluxe precisely these model years and it is the same color with a mini humbucker in the format P-90.

Those are DiMarzio "Super Distortion" humbuckers, which is NOT the same, as what originally

came in the Deluxe. The originals, were "Mini-humbuckers" as this:

http://store.gibson.com/mini-humbucker-bridge-pickup/

Is that what you want, OR...are you trying to go to some kind of "P-90" Single Coil pickup

that will be a direct "drop in?" [confused]

CB

Guys, I know that there stood in stock. I know that now stands DiMarzio SuperDistortion, only vintage, without metal base bottom humbucker. I misled the seller's description on eBay. That's why I asked whether it was true that he wrote. I love this sound, this piano in my hands.

Guitar Player magazine; May 1982 issue; p 39 (lower third);

bed574a4-cbcf-43c9-8b25-f8137910ffb1_zpsff33780e.jpg

Oddly enough I just happened to have the magazine lying around.......

As has been said; Gibson brought out the P-90 equipped LP Pro DeLuxe in '76.

Those wanting P-90s in a Les Paul could have the Pro DeLuxe. Those wanting small-sized 'buckers could have the regular DeLuxe. Those wanting full-sized 'buckers could have the Standard or Custom.

Why bring out another version of the LP DeLuxe in the same year with non-Gibson manufactured P-90 style humbucker p'ups? It makes neither commercial nor marketing sense.

The one on ebay...

The seller states that he, himself, found no similar guitar nor any information relating to it on the net;

"I have researched this extensively on the internet with no luck.....my local guitar tech.....informed me that he found that they only produced these Standard/Deluxe models for a very short time in 1975/76."

Which means absolutely nothing! "I don't know...but I was told..." ?

I've never seen an original LP DeLuxe so equipped nor is there any mention of such a LP in any of the books I have - including Tony Bacon's reference-work 'Bible' on the model.

One of the members here has such a DiMarzio powered Les Paul but he knows for a fact that his were fitted 'aftermarket'. I strongly suspect the same is true here.

P.

Guitar Player magazine; May 1982 issue; p 39 (lower third);

bed574a4-cbcf-43c9-8b25-f8137910ffb1_zpsff33780e.jpg

Oddly enough I just happened to have the magazine lying around.......

As has been said; Gibson brought out the P-90 equipped LP Pro DeLuxe in '76.

Those wanting P-90s in a Les Paul could have the Pro DeLuxe. Those wanting small-sized 'buckers could have the regular DeLuxe. Those wanting full-sized 'buckers could have the Standard or Custom.

Why bring out another version of the LP DeLuxe in the same year with non-Gibson manufactured P-90 style humbucker p'ups? It makes neither commercial nor marketing sense.

The one on ebay...

The seller states that he, himself, found no similar guitar nor any information relating to it on the net;

"I have researched this extensively on the internet with no luck.....my local guitar tech.....informed me that he found that they only produced these Standard/Deluxe models for a very short time in 1975/76."

Which means absolutely nothing! "I don't know...but I was told..." ?

I've never seen an original LP DeLuxe so equipped nor is there any mention of such a LP in any of the books I have - including Tony Bacon's reference-work 'Bible' on the model.

One of the members here has such a DiMarzio powered Les Paul but he knows for a fact that his were fitted 'aftermarket'. I strongly suspect the same is true here.

P.

Thanks, pippy, the most complete, comprehensive and intelligible answer.

The ones in your guitar and the ones in the ebay look like Dimarzio minis. Not saying they are, but they sure look just like his. Believe it or not, the pickups might be worth more than the guitar.

rct

Thanks, pippy, the most complete, comprehensive and intelligible answer.

I agree.

rct

• 7 years later...

Hi guys, 

Thanks for the above info, but, for me, it throws up more problems. Gibson's chaotic serial numbering doesn't help.

I bought a used Les Paul pro deluxe in black (or ebony?) from a friend in about 1977/78 and stupidly didn't think to ask how old it was. Now that I'm trying to find that out in 2021, I've found contradicting info. The serial number on the back of the head says, I believe , 99123843 or 9 (incredibly difficult to decipher). The 99 is in gold, so I think it's a 1975 limited edition. The tuning pegs are chrome and it has P-90s. Am I correct?

Deluxe all started life with mini humbuckers, so yours is not actually a deluxe from the moment someone put P-90s in it.  Which a lot of people did.  Tuners are more than likely Grovers, that's what we did to them back then.  Some good pictures would help a whole lot.   Use an image hosting service.

rct

• Sad 1