Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 3 and SG custom

tom brown

Hey Tom,

What's happening? Things are good still banging on my guitars. If you get a chance check out the 70's tribute SG guitar for 2013. Pretty cool! 24 frets, Dirty Finger pups and comes in ebony, red and sunburst for $899. Only drag is a HS case is seperate but still a nice buy. Man I am getting serious GAS for this. Well hope all is well.

Merry Christmas to everyone on Gibson blog!

Rewd.

nice to hear from you rewd.

yes i regret not getting the 50 th aniversity SG with the 57 's and slim neck but was never able to find one in stock to try.

899 is not bad if you wait until m.f. does a 20 off sale which should be soon.

did you see the SG deluxe that just came out ? three pickups and a acoustic p.u. as well..says slimmer neck which i d like to try, again...lol

hey do me a favor if you look it up post a link as i have no internet and working from a phone only right now.

merry christmas

nice to hear from you rewd.

yes i regret not getting the 50 th aniversity SG with the 57 's and slim neck but was never able to find one in stock to try.

899 is not bad if you wait until m.f. does a 20 off sale which should be soon.

did you see the SG deluxe that just came out ? three pickups and a acoustic p.u. as well..says slimmer neck which i d like to try, again...lol

hey do me a favor if you look it up post a link as i have no internet and working from a phone only right now.

merry christmas

Hey Tom,

Merry Christmas!

Here's one in lime green. Available in Lime Burst, cobalt, orange and red fade.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SGDXLICB-13?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&gclid=CKjSq5jOtrQCFStgMgod6ggAsQ

I like most of this guitar. I am not a big fan of the bigsby tremelo as far as playing but asthetically it looks great! The only other thing I am not big on is the 3 way selector switch I prefer the 6 way rotary like on ours. other than that everything else is tip top.

• 4 weeks later...

dawg happy belated new year.

been working mega hours just crazy..

hey i looked on the gibson website as usual sweetwater screwed up description. here a link.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Deluxe.aspx

it says that the toggle has a switch to blend middle pickup.

do you know about that system?

also it has a slim tape neck and i wonder how that compares to the sg custom or sg 3.

nice to hear from you. i moved to otis mass up in the woods so we can have a big *** concert there...lol

tom

dawg happy belated new year.

been working mega hours just crazy..

hey i looked on the gibson website as usual sweetwater screwed up description. here a link.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Deluxe.aspx

it says that the toggle has a switch to blend middle pickup.

do you know about that system?

also it has a slim tape neck and i wonder how that compares to the sg custom or sg 3.

nice to hear from you. i moved to otis mass up in the woods so we can have a big *** concert there...lol

tom

Hey Tom,

A belated Happy New Year to you also!

That Tog pot sounds interesting. I have never used one before but is better than just a 3 way switch. The neck is going to be exactly like on my flying V. I think the 61 reissues had the 60's slim tapered neck. They are fast necks and the finishes resemble my V too. Those type of finishes don't get sticky on the neck so your thumb just glides up and down it. You also gotta like the 24 frets. The price is almost at custom level though. Like I said I am not a big fan of the Bigsby. Its an oversized one trick pony. The trem arm can get in your way if you like to strum like Jimmy Page and it doesn't go into tension which limits what you can do with it.

So I guess the price and the Bigsby would stop me personally from getting one.

Here's some different pics of my Les Paul axcess and my Schecter V hope they are of better quality. I know they are not SG3's but thought you might like to see.

Any be cool and Keep on Rockin Bro

Rewd.

DSCN7917_zpsef196212.jpg

DSCN7918_zps7877b138.jpg

DSCN7919_zps947f4c2b.jpg

Edited by Rewddawg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey dawg

that access must rip through that orange amp dude.

Yeah i agree price and hareware kill that guitar.

Wished i could have gotten that sg with the 57 's n slim taper neck my sg 3 neck is big, but my friend insists that why it gets that brown gibson tone..

Later man

Hey dawg

that access must rip through that orange amp dude.

Yeah i agree price and hareware kill that guitar.

Wished i could have gotten that sg with the 57 's n slim taper neck my sg 3 neck is big, but my friend insists that why it gets that brown gibson tone..

Later man

I know what you mean about the necks. It's definately different when you start out on a slim tapered neck and go to the SG3. The SG3 is still a very playable neck. I have seen bigger on some Les Pauls to where I almost can't play them. lol My axcess is not quite as chunky as my SG3 but it by no means is as slim as a 60's style neck. It might be some kind of hybrid.

The axccess is perfect for 70's and 80's style hard rock and some so-called metal songs.

I wish I could get that 70's tribute SG with a Floyd Rose trem. I would be making payments on one right now. lol

Later Dude, Keep on Rockin in the Free world.

Rewd

• 4 weeks later...

Hey.dawg

think you said your a hendrix fan and under lifestyle on gibson.com it says a new hendrix record (lol) is coming march 5 check it out.

Hey i actually would have someone shave my neck but im afraid they will screw it up or it might sound different.

Later dawg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm on the hunt for an SG3. Can anyone confirm replacing the single coils with humbuckers successfully without any routing?

thanks!

I think someone mentioned in this thread that the single coils SG3's would have to be routed to fit standard humbuckers. Possibly you can find some Fender humbuckers that are made with the coils stacked on top of each other and will fit into the routed cavities.

I think someone mentioned in this thread that the single coils SG3's would have to be routed to fit standard humbuckers. Possibly you can find some Fender humbuckers that are made with the coils stacked on top of each other and will fit into the routed cavities.

hi smolder

redawg is correct in i believe towards the beginning of thus thread there was a guy talking about it. i am sure it can be done.

but i would go with the "57" classic myself and the classic plus in the bridge.

to my ear they sound better then a stacked single coil or another brand of humbucker.

regards

tom

hi smolder

redawg is correct in i believe towards the beginning of thus thread there was a guy talking about it. i am sure it can be done.

but you may have to router it out.

to my ear they sound better then a stacked single coil or another brand of humbucker.

regards

tom

hi smolder

regards

tom

Thanks guys,

I've read through the entire thread a few times and it's not conclusive... just theorized. No one seems to have actually tried it and reported back. Looking at images of the SG3 wide routing, and the images of a standard 2 hum bucker, I can't see any difference in shape, size or depth of the routes. I can see that it would be difficult to attach the bridge pickup ring on the control side as there is nothing to put the corner screws into. Using the wider pick guard looks like it would work. Trying very hard to qualify this before I pull the trigger on one.

• 1 month later...

Hey dawg

dawg im looking at new amps.

Whats your go to amp for the gibson sg 3 ?

Regards

tom

Hey Tom,

What's happening? I think my Marshall sounds the best over all but it is louder than all heck so I use my Orange Dual terror most often (I replaced the Chinese tubes with some JJ long plate tubes, sounds a lot better for what I play) and it comes in a close second. A lot depends on the type of music you play. I play mostly 70's and 80's hard rock and blues rock. Some stuff might be considered metal but that term wasn't being used much in the 70's.

I prefer tube amps over solid state amps but they cost more and are more expensive to maintain ala(tubes etc.) and you must warm them up for a few minutes before playing. It's worth it to me tho.

I hope that helps for now. Let me know what you are considering and I'll see if I can help further.

Peace Bro

Rewd

• 3 weeks later...

Hey dawg

had to get a new phone no regular internet connection so on phone.

Yes i tried both the marshall and orange and it seems the marshall has a wider range of sound then the orange. thing is trying to get the right size lol as i dont want to collapse my ear drums.

I also played a older used solid state amp which sounded real good but wasnt as good as the marshall.

I also saw a marshall head at pawnshop had four settings that sounded good i got the model number somewhere here i can post.

This solid state line 6 spider 4 is not cutting it anymore dawg.

Later

tom

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hello all

just watch jimi hendrix "american masters" video which aired for first time on 11-5-13 which includes never seen footage and interviews.

at one point he is testing what looks to be a "61" SG reissue and in another clip what seems to be a white sg custom...i will try to get photo to post soon.

thought this was interesting as he was always associated with mostly fenders.

cheers !

• 1 month later...

dawg

i tried a old 5 watt gibson amp and it roars when cranked with the sg 3.

i jumped the speaker to my 12 inch celestion and its amazing what 5 watts can do..

later

Hey Tom,

What's happening?

Yeah most people don't realize that 5W can put out some volume. My Orange goes down to 7W and I still can't crank it full without ear damage.

Peace Bro

Keep on Rockin!!

Hey dawg

my friend has the mesa boogie ta 15 and i have to tell you the sg 3 rips with this amp.

I can get all types of sounds with this but the amp is big bucks so i d have to save up..

Hope your well.

Tom

Yeah I have a friend who had one of those amp heads. Great tonal options and lower watt options but really pricey. I think it's worth it if you feel you gotta have all the options.

My Orange amp head sounds like a different amp now I have replaced the Chinese tubes with JJ tubes.

peace Bro keep on rockin!!

Rewd

• 3 weeks later...

dawg w.b. bro

yes little tweaks to amps can make all the difference in the world.

i just have that line 6 spider 4 monster but gibson had posted how to tweak amps for overdrive using amp controls so i followed the directions and its amazing just moving drive and volume around the different sounds you get.

also there was a new jimi hendrix video on tv showing unreleased material but there was a short loop of him trying trying a sg 3 custom 67 maybe....

can you see if that photo is online and post it here if your not to busy ?

i have no internet and only a phone here...

rock and roll

tom