Gibson Brands Forums

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

ksdaddy

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I should introduce myself.

I started playing guitar in 1963 on a Gretsch Streamliner exactly like this one:

gretsch-streamliner-X2.jpg

It was a really nice guitar, and I hated it. This was 1963 in California, I was 13 and surf music was the craze. I wanted a white Fender Jazzmaster, but my parents wouldn't buy me one. Dumb kid.

Anyway, I played guitar on and off from then until now. I also played pedal steel guitar, electric and acoustic bass, banjo, dobro, fiddle and mandolin. I never played any of them very well except for electric bass, and I did a lot of stage time with the bass in country bands.

Recently, I have owned several nice Martin acoustics, a Recording King RAJ-126 (a surprisingly great guitar modeled after the Gibson Advanced Jumbo... and I still have it), an Eastman E10SS (excellent Gibson J45 clone), and my latest (as of last Sunday) a brand new J45 Standard.

j45-front-X2.jpg

Anyway, that's me. Nice place y'all got here!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Forum,

Richard from Sussex in the UK here... happy new owner of the lovely J-45 custom below. I have used a 1970's vintage Sigma DR7 for writing and recording for many years, but finally got the Gibson I always wanted. I love equally the different sounds of both the mahogany and rosewood models, so in the end when choosing, maybe got seduced by the custom's lovely herringbone binding and head-stock inlay!

On the electric side I have a USA Telecaster and my favourite, a 1981 black ES-347 beauty which I got used some 8 years or so ago. Great to be here and read people's posts!

IMG_20140417_140409_zpsf57d89d0.jpg

Hi everyone -

I just added a third Gibson to my collection – the L-1 Blues Tribute (wow...) – and it has spurred me to dive into these forums more deeply. Thanks for all of the helpful information and hope I can contribute some good info as well! Cheers.

J

post-64984-038662500 1398453059_thumb.jpg

Hi Forum,

Richard from Sussex in the UK here... happy new owner of the lovely J-45 custom below. I have used a 1970's vintage Sigma DR7 for writing and recording for many years, but finally got the Gibson I always wanted. I love equally the different sounds of both the mahogany and rosewood models, so in the end when choosing, maybe got seduced by the custom's lovely herringbone binding and head-stock inlay!

On the electric side I have a USA Telecaster and my favourite, a 1981 black ES-347 beauty which I got used some 8 years or so ago. Great to be here and read people's posts!

IMG_20140417_140409_zpsf57d89d0.jpg

AWESOME Guitar!

• 3 weeks later...

Long time Gibson player here though I only own four at this time. I've never played or owned a J15 but if I could find one down at the Center I'd sure try it out. For grass music I have my handy J 45 which is really a good guitar for that. Deep and loud with the 11/16 neck--love it. Years ago when I was in college I had a smaller gibson and I cannot remember the name. It, frankly, wasn't that good so I sold it and like every other guitar I've sold I wish I'd kept it. My ES 335 is a fantastic guitar but it's a little heavy for me at my age. My other two are vintage, in poor condition and don't get played that much. I'd really like to find a good SJ200 at a reasonable cost. I found one a while back but he wouldn't sell. That one would have made a great "grass" guitar.

I wouldn't take for the two, (ES 335 & J 45), playable Gibsons I have.

Hi there. Just joined the forum because I just bought a new AJ. I started playing on a 64 Gibson LG1 that my dad bought new when I was a kid. What a great guitar to learn on. I've owned a few Gibsons through the years, but I've been mostly a Martin guy. I love this new AJ, though, and am very happy with it. The Gibson sunburst has always been my favorite look. This AJ seems to do everything we'll and I'm looking forward to a lot of playing time with it.

<----I finally figured out how to put a picture in my avatar. This is me and Clarence Clemons when he jammed with me and my guitar player and one other time he played a whole set with my band which was called Jimi D-Bo and Tropical Storm. This was in the mid 90's at a bar called Mondos in North Palm Beach Florida. It turned out that The Big Man lived in the same beachfront condo that the owner of the bar lived and he asked in if he would come and play with me and then another time with my band. He was such a gracious man

• 2 weeks later...

New guy here. I've lurked for a long time and finally decided to join up. I have a spanking new J-15 en-route via Fed Ex that'll be here tomorrow. Not my first Gibson though, I had a 2006 custom short-scale AJ that I bought new but ended up trading it for a Martin D-15M and some cash because I just didn't connect with it(It probably just needed a set-up). So I'm looking forward to getting another Gibson. Hopefully I'll connect with this guitar because the J-15 that I did play was stellar. Glad to be here.

New guy here. I've lurked for a long time and finally decided to join up. I have a spanking new J-15 en-route via Fed Ex that'll be here tomorrow. Not my first Gibson though, I had a 2006 custom short-scale AJ that I bought new but ended up trading it for a Martin D-15M and some cash because I just didn't connect with it(It probably just needed a set-up). So I'm looking forward to getting another Gibson. Hopefully I'll connect with this guitar because the J-15 that I did play was stellar. Glad to be here.

Make sure and post a picture of the New Guitar Day when it arrives! People here love to drool. Welcome to the Gibson Board !

Hey all, just introducing myself. Been an on-and-off member over at the AGF for a few years now, but it just occurred to me to join the Gibson forum. I came back and found that my email was already used, and apparently I had joined a while back but I don't ever remember posting here. Anyway in addition to the acoustics in my sig I also have an '07 Firebird V. Looking forward to participating and talking about Gibsons, thanks for having me.

I think I have been a member here for a few years.... Thought it's time to introduce myself formally?

My name is Sal. I used to play a lot when I was younger - in bands etc. Marriage, work, kids - I took a long break and recently started taking up my old hobby. I find its a lot harder today, because my hands aren't what they used to be; they are arthritic too often. Anyways I love to play and learn new stuff. Occasionally I post the crap here.

Oh... I still work on "Wall Street", but if I had my druthers, I would have saved more money and be playing guitars a heck of a lot more today...

I have a Gibby SJTV "all hide glue", a Martin D15M, a Martin 000-18, as well as a few cheaper instruments (Tele, Gretsch resonator, Gretsch bass, cajon). I record using an iPad and an Apogee Mic. I typically dont mix... I record and pray for the best msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

1395521786[/url]' post='1500996']

Here's a picture of the most recent Gibson, the J-45 Custom Koa, which I am loving!

post-64244-009139000 1395521734_thumb.jpg

post-64244-058345400 1395521767_thumb.jpg

Hey Scott, that looks like the twin sister of mine. She wouldn't be from Tucson, would she? Got mine about 4 weeks ago. Sounds as good as it looks. Was helped by several forum members here. Posted that I was looking for a. 3rd Gibson to complement an Sj200 and an H'Bird, and one member came back and suggested this. I think I've gotten blisters under my callouses. Third time it's happened! Welcome Aboard. Jim

Hey Ya'll. I am a music guy. I am the frontman for a band called Worship Project. In keeping with our Texas roots, it would be hard to classify our style. I handle the acoustic rhythm. My beloved 1990 Takamine EF341sc has become a backup to my 2014 Standard J45. My band mates play Taylor and Yairi acoustics, Fender Basses, a '52Tele and a 2011 Les Paul Traditional.