Gibson Brands Forums

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

ksdaddy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, I'm John from Wynnewood, Pennsylvania, USA (near Philadelphia). I am a mostly acoustic player (although I do play some electric also). Mostly I write and perform my own songs with occasional covers. At this time my go to guitars are Taylors (614 and 810). I owned and played a Turner Renaissance for about a year in 2011 and 2012. Great feel to the guitar but it wasn't practical as it really needs to be plugged in. As a left handed player I can't walk into just any store and play a bunch of guitars. Taylors have been a safe out of the box bet for me when I have to purchase unplayed. Martins have always sounded dull and felt stiff to me, with the exception of a D28 that I played at Philly Folk Festival last year. But, I'm partial to the HD scalloped bracing. 2 years ago when I was playing in Memphis, I plead a few different lefty acoustics at the Gibson factory. They don't make the acoustic at that location but they have many for display and sale. I loved the J45 and should have purchased it, but didn't. I must have played it for 90 minutes. So, I'm looking for a used J45 that's got a couple of good playing years under its belt and has good tone. If anyone has a lead on a J45 please let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello I am Kelly Campbell..I am new to the guitar world and trying to learn it has been a slow process and challenging to say the least but I have fun trying and will not give up...I also really enjoy listening to and watching people who can play. I own several guitars from some cheap ones to a few in the 1,000 to 2,000 dollar range. I just started lessons 8 months ago. I own some of each electric and acoustic..I enjoy the acoustics the most and my favorite brand is Gibson although I like them all. Please be patient if I ask some remedial questions now and then... [smile]

Hello I am Kelly Campbell..I am new to the guitar world and trying to learn it has been a slow process and challenging to say the least but I have fun trying and will not give up...I also really enjoy listening to and watching people who can play. I own several guitars from some cheap ones to a few in the 1,000 to 2,000 dollar range. I just started lessons 8 months ago. I own some of each electric and acoustic..I enjoy the acoustics the most and my favorite brand is Gibson although I like them all. Please be patient if I ask some remedial questions now and then... [smile]

Hey Kelly - What acoustic Gibsons do you play ?

Hello, new to this forum and Gibson. I just purchased a j-45 (the banner 42 reissue) and am loving it!!! What a guitar.

Nice guitar - hope you are getting all the enjoyment it has to give - enjoyed reading about your hunt, and think you pulled the trigger on a great instrument. Welcome to the Gibson Acoustic Forum !

I'm Rick from Birmingham, AL. In fact I live about six miles from Bailey brothers where Keith works. I recently decided to learn something about how to set up an acoustic guitar because I have my Grandfathers old J-45. I went slowly and carefully and when I was done, it went from hardly being playable to wonderful to play. The sound is amazing too. A lot of what I learned about the guitar and setting up guitars in general I got from this site, so I decided to join. The pick guard has come off and the adjustable bridge is pulling away from the guitar, but I love the way it sounds and plays and don't plan on doing anything to it right now.

Pictures: http://s859.photobucket.com/user/rickstwowheels/library/Gibson%20j-45?sort=3&page=1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Rick from Birmingham, AL. In fact I live about six miles from Bailey brothers where Keith works. I recently decided to learn something about how to set up an acoustic guitar because I have my Grandfathers old J-45. I went slowly and carefully and when I was done, it went from hardly being playable to wonderful to play. The sound is amazing too. A lot of what I learned about the guitar and setting up guitars in general I got from this site, so I decided to join. The pick guard has come off and the adjustable bridge is pulling away from the guitar, but I love the way it sounds and plays and don't plan on doing anything to it right now.

Pictures: http://s859.photobucket.com/user/rickstwowheels/library/Gibson%20j-45?sort=3&page=1

Rick, you might want to take your J-45 to Bailey Brothers to have Keith look at it to suggest repairs, particularly to the bridge. You have what appears to be (visually and by the serial number) a very nice 1964 J-45 with ceramic saddle. We often call this the Donovan model, as it was the version of the J-45 that Donovan played and recorded with.

There are people here who are great fans of this guitar, but if the bridge is pulling up, it needs to be properly and professionally repaired before you really play it.

The bridge could/should be a straightforward repair, but it is a very important one to minimize the risk of damage to the guitar. From the looks of it, the glue has failed and the small bridge bolts are probably pulling up into the bridgeplate.

Hello to new members (enjoy it here) and congratulations on those new guitars, 45's, 15's etc. .

musicbox, you should tell us more about the 13-herd as we go.

Rick, Nick is right about Donovan being the most known player of this particular model/burst.

When he brought it with him to India in 1968 the Gibson was without pickguard too.

2 or 3 years years later that loyal squire was stolen and never reappeared - he still asks for it on his website.

So better check yours - only kiddin', , , Don's had new chrome-tuners at that point as well.

The 2 '64 ceramic saddled cherries I've met were both terrific. The lacquer had turned matt - not the sound !

Goin' to a huge guitar-jamboree tomorrow - will surely look out for these orange 45's. .

• 2 weeks later...

Jake here from the central Piedmont of North Carolina. I've been a guitar owner for 50 years, a devoted PLAYER for about 8 years. Bought my first Gibson last week, a 2013 Hummingbird Modern Classic. What a beautiful looking and sounding guitar. I can't wait to get to know you all and my new Gibby!

Hello, my name is David, I'm Mexican and I live in Houston, TX and I've played acoustic for 20 years in praise and worship. After owning Taylors (almost all models) I was dazzled by a Masterbilt Epiphone I bought for $ 500 at GC and could not believe how this could have much better sound than my taylors. That was where I was curious to try Gibson. Before the month was back to GC to change the Masterbilt by HB Pro and thereafter one J35, J45 Custom shop, J-185 and my latest acquisition: 2006 Hummingbird in heritage cherry.

IMG_7318_zpsa2f6fc70.jpg

photo41_zps362c69d1.jpg

00c0c_9qd4HSmwb3a_600x450_zps696d3ece.jpg

94509422-9406-4878-A4B2-11D7BFDD2524_zps7szzu2lq.jpg

hb1_zps9c4503c6.jpg

Jake / David - welcome to the Gibson boards. I am very impressed that you both own Hummingbirds ! I do not have a bird, though I've wanted one for years, it sure is fun to see the pics and hear about them.

Thanks Duluthdan, Here's a pic with me and my J-185 (I sold it) and my J45 (I still have it)

E2596C47-61B0-4EB7-8255-CD3554B6A29A_zpsbvcgfta6.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Mark from England. I don't own a Gibson unfortunately but being a big fan of Donovan have been interested in the new Donovan J-45 acoustic.

I play both acoustic and electric but my collection of acoustics consist of the following:

Washburn D25-15:

th_WashburnD25-12a.jpg

Guild JF30:

th_GuildJF-30a.jpg

Hand made 000:

th_FinneyWalnut000a.jpg

Hand made Moon (kind of Donovan replica):

th_Moon1-1.jpg

Great forum by the way!

Regards.