Gibson Brands Forums

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

ksdaddy

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings from the Outer Banks of North Carolina!

My project this past weekend was to resurrect my 1961 J-45 from retirement and get reacquainted. I probably haven't touched that guitar in 15 years, the tag attached to the case reminded me that I had had a shop check it out, do a setup and restring it in'97. So I gave it a thorough cleaning, polish, fingerboard treatment, and a new set of strings. Tuned up and ready. I'll be retiring in the spring and one of my goals is to "re-learn" the guitar. Maybe even loosen up the vocal chords a little.

I'll probably be lurking here for a while before I post much, looks like there is a wealth of knowledge in this forum, glad I found it.

Welcome, I'm pretty new myself. Nothing like getting together with an old friend and rekindling the relationship. Don't be surprised if the tone of your old pal improves dramatically during the first few weeks of playing. Then of course your fingers will be regaining their playing strength so you will both be "waking up" together. Play on. [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ... My name is Todd Brooks

I've been playing about 15 years. I'm really just a hobbyist and play to relieve stress and some with friend. I have GAS and love to collect guitars. I recently purchased my first Gibson which was a Songwriter Deluxe Studio Cutaway. It's truly a great instrument. I also own a couple of Epiphones which I also believe are great instruments as well for the price point.

My musical interests are broad as I just really appreciate great playing. Chet Atkins, Keith Urban, Danny Gatton, Mark Knopfler, Hendrix,Tommy Emmanuel, Eddie Van Halen, Vitto Bratta, BB King, Jimmy Page, Clapton, Derek Trucks, John Mayer

I told ya ... I'm all over the place!

Anyways ... thanks for letting me be apart of the forum as I enjoy reading and educating myself on the Gibson/Epiphone products.

jp9 from Heaven NC

Interested in Made in America with American woods.

Please make a made in USA Parlor Guitar. please use any American renewable wood you must with the main outcome being a guitar that a kid saving allowance and chore money can buy. I am retired and could hardly afford your jumbo .

Let kids of the earth learn on an instrument that won't shred their fingers or cause carpel tunnel from excessive force on the neck to fret a poorly made import. Made in the USA means much to we that buy Gibson.

Sincerely disappointed I can't afford a Gibson acoustic for my Grands.

jp harbin

post-69012-086253600 1417760305_thumb.jpg

Greetings to jp9 and welcome. I may be wrong but, it sort of sounds like you think you are writing to the Gibson board of directors. This is a forum of and for folks interested in Gibson guitars. That being said I'll address your issue.

Building a good guitar is an expensive process done with fine woods and expert hands. I'm all for renewable American woods. I'm also for providing a living wage to unskilled workers, a very decent wage to skilled workers, and high wages to very skilled crafts-people, artisans and artists. Unfortunately, what you ask is a seriously difficult if not impossible task. If you do some research you'll find out why. Here are some questions for you to help you understand why:

How long does it take a walnut or spruce tree to grow to maturity suitable to build a 17" guitar?

Who will harvest the tree and allow it to dry to the proper level?

What kind of training, skill, and expertise does it take to build a J-45?

How much should an expert craftsman make?

What tools does it take to build a guitar?

What wage will the craftspeople make that build those tools?

Wouldn't it be nice if all aspiring fiddle players had a Stradivarius to learn on? It just ain't so. It's like you've been living in a vacuum.

It is unfortunate that you can't afford high-end guitars for you and your grand children. Even if you built them yourself you would find that the training involved and tooling up for it is an expensive and time intensive process. I get that you want to buy American. But what you are asking for is for American workers to work for crap wages. Even if you went to something like a Martin backpacker you'd find it was built in Mexico. These are some facts of life. It seems you need to either get some more cash, or settle for something less than your ideal guitar. Or better yet, build your own guitars like your ancestors did. Then you would gain an appreciation for why good guitars cost big bucks. B)

• 1 month later...

I'm Joe Popp and a proud Gibson SJ-200 Standard owner. It has been my dream guitar since hearing Pete play one on The Secret Policeman's Ball album in 1980. Glad to be here!

Preparing for a 48-state non-stop singer-songwriter tour on a motorcycle! Check my signature for a link.

j200.jpg

Joe, Scriv, Lord, and D - WELCOME TO THE GIBSON ACOUSTIC SECTION ! Hope you find it as educational and enjoyable as I do . Something you may want to know about is how to post photos - folks here love to see others guitars - hey Lord- especially that vintage J-35 ! Heres how to post pics: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

Again - welcome aboard.

Hello, Tom from southern Indiana. Just recently got a J15 and i love it. I am fairly new to playing and I'm learning more everyday. Just joined the forums.

Hi Tom! That J-15 with Walnut really gets some nice reviews - of the handful I have played in shops, they were all good.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a Martin D28 for almost 10 years (bought new in '05) but finally picked up a Gibson J45. Been casually looking for one for a long time, and this 1990 model popped up on CL and I picked it up last weekend. I love both my Martin and Gibson equally, but for vastly different reasons.

Here she is:

IMG_20150206_180515.jpg