Gibson Brands Forums

The "Just got in from a gig" thread.....

saturn

For those of us who play out on a regular or semi-regular basis.

When you get in late, but can't go right to bed. Come here and wind down by checking-in and posting some details of the night.

It's about 3:30am my time, but I've been home almost an hour. Grabbed some pretzels and poured some cheap rye whiskey. Started surfing The Lounge for awhile, then this idea hit me.

It was our second night of back-to-back gigs. Tonight's was better than Friday. Place was a mid sized local bar but had a decent crowd. We brought quite a few folks in. We played really well and they loved us. Plus there were some really nice sights to see as we played, if you know what I mean. Wink Wink Nod Nod B)

Now someone else turn. Probably have to wait til next weekend though. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 4

Nice one Jay, congrats on the fine gigs!

Already Sunday evening here, but had a good musical day and night yesterday - the new band playing my originals had our first hit out in front of real live people yesterday afternoon along with a similar splinter group from my old covers band and various mates out at a peaceful house on a commune in the rainforest. We each cranked up the amps and played our sets, such as they are, and cheered each other on, then the covers band got up and had a jam. Got a bit messy as it doubled as a christening of the latest batch of excellent home brew beer of one of the guys [biggrin] (though less so me as a designated driver for the evening festivities to follow...). We all agreed to make it a regular thing to help get our acts up to gig-ready.

Then a bunch of us headed out to an old farmhouse venue nearer town for a night of loads of local rock - mainly all kinds of 'punk' I guess - pretty diverse within that though. Dropped a couple of blokes off round midnight, I'm buzzing from playing and watching loud music for the past 10-12 hours and too much nicotine in lieu of alcohol. Couple of bourbons and a listen to Dinosaur Jr playing a concert somewhere in Europe on Youtube to relax.

A good day.

I know the 'cant sleep coz I'm still buzzing' feeling all too well.

It doesnt help that I have chronic insomnia anyway, but gignight will always be worse.

Of course Mike Bloomfield was the worst sufferer. He couldnt sleep at all while working, and needed hospitalisation to induce sleep.

Right now though, all gigs are off as our Baritone Sax has broke both thumbs (so cant work the paddles). That's mountain biking for ya!

Right now though, all gigs are off as our Baritone Sax has broke both thumbs (so cant work the paddles). That's mountain biking for ya!

Jeez, sorry to hear that. Mountain biking? Are you sure he didn't owe a bookie or something? :)

Just got in from what was probably the last gig for me of 2016. It's about 2:45 AM. Actually got home about an hour ago, but I saw some of my neighbors (who were at my gig earlier) were still up as I pulled into my house. So I went and drank with them for awhile before coming into the house.

OK gig. My amp (which is already a back-up) died on me though. [cursing]

Ouch! [omg]

On the last gig of 2014 my signal processor died (bassist knocked soda water all over it).

But the one I replaced it with improved my sound massively. So it kind of worked for the best.

Hope you can get it sorted before the next gig. Good luck.

Just got in from what was probably the last gig for me of 2016. It's about 2:45 AM. Actually got home about an hour ago, but I saw some of my neighbors (who were at my gig earlier) were still up as I pulled into my house. So I went and drank with them for awhile before coming into the house.

Cool neighbours!

and...at least you know what to ask for for Xmas [smile]

Rock on!

• 1 month later...

Well, I never thought that this topic would be as popular as "The Song Association Game" thread, but I thought a few more people would play along. :rolleyes:

Guess I'll play by myself. [flapper] And try one more time to revive it.

Got in about 1am, from a 7-11 gig. Nice place with a great crowd. We brought some people plus a nice regular crowd. Some hot dancers [drool] My Carvin amp was cookin' nicely now that it's fixed properly. We were packed up by 12ish but it's a little bit of a drive from my house and I stopped for some RoFo chicken on the way home. Hence me getting in after 1am.

Overall a great night. B)

• Upvote 3

And so....just got in at 1.15a.m. after an hour drive back.

Gig went well - Romsey, Hants UK - tiny pub, not full but they liked us.

We had a guest keyboard player tonight on a few numbers, very nice American guy I'd previously met and jammed with a few years back. Good blues pianist - when he got to stomping his foot the floor really started shaking, and I wondered if we would go through into the cellar!

I played ok, nailed a few and missed a few as you do, but the others in the band were very complimentary. My pedals sounded right too. We did "Hoochie Coochie Man" for the 1st time.

Finished playing well after 11p.m., then the complicated process of packing up and hanging round for the money. Out and on the road about 12.15p.m.

Does anyone else have road dreams?

You finally get into bed after the gig and go to sleep; you dream that you are on the road, still driving....travelling through the dark....headlights coming toward you.

At that point you wake up QUICK as you just might really be on the road, and had drifted off.

I'm used to it now though.

Best wishes to all.

Does anyone else have road dreams?

You finally get into bed after the gig and go to sleep; you dream that you are on the road, still driving....travelling through the dark....headlights coming toward you.

At that point you wake up QUICK as you just might really be on the road, and had drifted off.

I'm used to it now though.

Best wishes to all.

Sometimes...later in the evening, as I lie awake in bed. The echos from the amplifiers are ringing in my head. And I smoke the days last cigarette remembering what she said... eusa_whistle.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just in from a 3 hour gig. I should be sleeping already since I have to get up in a few hours for the day job, but you know how it is.

On the bright side we tried out a drummer and bassist tonight, and they did really well. So it looks like our little trio is a proper band now. We may still do the trio thing for mellow settings but we can really blast now as well.

Just in from a 3 hour gig. I should be sleeping already since I have to get up in a few hours for the day job, but you know how it is.

On the bright side we tried out a drummer and bassist tonight, and they did really well. So it looks like our little trio is a proper band now. We may still do the trio thing for mellow settings but we can really blast now as well.

Nice. Gotta love a Wednesday night gig. B)

I'm doing an acoustic gig tonight from 6-9pm. Should be a good time.

• 3 weeks later...

This evening; drove to Salisbury (Wiltshire UK) for gig at Queens Arms.

Did same last Saturday but played at a different pub - The Cloisters, next one up in the same street.

In the car; MIJ Fender and Squier Strats in gigbags, spare strings etc, pedalboard, leads, combo amp, music stand, music book. Plus bottle of water, fruit, bread rolls as it's a long one.

Leave my place 6.15pm. About 46 miles drive.

7.30pm - park 30yds from venue in only spare bay in street. Get gear in. Tiny pub, not much room - singer leaves his amp in the car and plays through p.a.

I get my usual 1 sq yard (just about) and have the bassist's headstock 6" in front of my face. Ernie Ball Musicman 5-string; made in San Luis Obispo, it says. Loud (this is also as usual).

Very cramped, hot. Play 2 sets, 2nd one gets going as the locals get tanked up and more enthusiastic. Finish 11pm.

Pack up gear. I have longest journey so I load my stuff up, help take down the p.a. and start home about 11.45pm.

Home just after 1a.m. Unload car, take everything in without disturbing neighbours, lock door take shoes off, cup of tea.

Tonight was a better gig than last week. Took Strat this time for a change, did everything inc slide on that. Much harder work above 12th fret IMO.

Band played ok. Me - competent but not inspired tonight, fell back on all my stock phrases and licks. Blew my Freddie King quote totally.

Not complaining, glad to be there and now back here.

Rehearsal on Tuesday night.

My tea's got cold, it's 2.30a.m. Might make another cup.

Best wishes to all.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps it should be 'just got in early from a gig' this time.....

Played jazz duo, background music 6.40 to 9.40pm this evening; 2 sets with a break for food.

Venue: Church local to me (refurbished a few years ago to have GREAT acoustics).

The occasion; the very dynamic lady vicar who has been a driving force in the community for the last 12 years is moving on to become an archdeacon.

Speeches, gifts, tears, about 150(?) people sat down to an informal dinner all cooked by the local parishioners.

Music was myself and sax/flautist who I have known for nearly 40 yrs now. Standards. I love doing this duo.

If you have ever played acoustic guitar in a church BTW it can sound beautiful - literally heavenly - when you find the sweet spot.

OTOH the guitar sound decays quickly in the reverberant space so that conceals my mistakes.

Used my acoustic (VERY dead set of phosphor bronzes on it) through Roland Microcube on JC clean setting with the treble backed off a lot.

So I took a transistor amp with modelling, not a valve. It sounded better! #-o And the Microcube speaker is 5" and has more bass than the Weber 8" in my Vibrochamp!

Maybe I need to get the Vibrochamp looked at as I think there should be more bass - how can I boost it? Is there a component that would help?

Best wishes to all - who else has been playing out?

Well, it's 3AM my time and I just got in from another bar gig. This one in Columbia MD. I would have been home about 30 minutes sooner, but I was starving and had to stop again at RoFo for some chicken. :rolleyes:

The good thing about tonight was, they have their own PA and sound guy. All we brought were our amps, drums and in-ear monitors. Good crowd. Even though many people were there just to watch ACC basketball semi-finals, most of them stuck around all night.

Now I have to get to bed. I have rehearsal with another band tomorrow (today) and I've barely even gone over the songs we're going to play. #-o

2a.m. Got in about 1/2hr ago from gig in Teddington, SW London.

A small working man's club; I used to play these all the time in the late 70s and 80s but they are rapidly disappearing now.

We subbed for another band who had to cancel due to illness. It went well enough. More room than I usually get but I was still behind the p.a. speaker. [sad]

The club staff thanked us for bringing people along!

Have a good weekend one and all. [thumbup]

Well, just got in from long night of rehearsing and business. Agent guy was there and local promoter guy was there. The "season" kinda starts next week and they just filled in the rest of the summer. Couple outdoor covered flatbed things, and they picked up a few more bar nights. It was a very tiring, good night.

rct

Well, just got in from long night of rehearsing and business. Agent guy was there and local promoter guy was there. The "season" kinda starts next week and they just filled in the rest of the summer. Couple outdoor covered flatbed things, and they picked up a few more bar nights. It was a very tiring, good night.

rct

Congratz on a productive night. [thumbup]

I got in around 12:30 from an acoustic thing and uncharacteristically went straight to bed. Gotta do a private party with my full band today. Getting ready to leave now.

Congratz on a productive night. [thumbup]

I got in around 12:30 from an acoustic thing and uncharacteristically went straight to bed. Gotta do a private party with my full band today. Getting ready to leave now.

Have a great and musical day!

rct

Yeesh. It was at least 120 degrees in there tonight. Great crowd when we started and we kept them. Rough start, couple sound troubles but we soldiered through. All in all, a great night out with the guitars and the fellas.

rct