Gibson Brands Forums

Model Number what do the letters mean?

Guest Brian

Can someone please break down what these mean? Lpstd+hsch1. I'm looking to buy this guitar and would like to know the value.

Hi and welcome.

IIRC the code means;

"Les Paul Standard; 'Plus' (moderate figure) Top; Honey Sunburst; Chrome hardware; factory grade 1 (i.e. not a 'second' - or slightly flawed) instrument.

As to value?

That all depends on a great many variables such as its condition; originality; year made and, last but by no means least, the current going rate for similar instruments in your area.

Pip.

IIRC the code means;

"Les Paul Standard; 'Plus' (moderate figure) Top; Honey Sunburst; Chrome hardware; factory grade 1 (i.e. not a 'second' - or slightly flawed) instrument.

Pip.

Sorry, no offense intended, but to my knowledge HS means Heritage Cherry Sunburst while Honey Burst is abbreviated HB, at least on the respective guitars of mine with these finishes. CH says Chrome Hardware as opposed to GH or NH or BH for gold, nickel or black hardware. No gold here, but the other two, besides lots of chrome.

Sorry, no offense intended, but to my knowledge HS means Heritage Cherry Sunburst while Honey Burst is abbreviated HB, at least on the respective guitars of mine with these finishes. CH says Chrome Hardware as opposed to GH or NH or BH for gold, nickel or black hardware. No gold here, but the other two, besides lots of chrome.

No offence received, Cap, I assure you.

I did think about putting in an (...'or Heritage Cherry Sunburst'...) but mostly I've seen HCSB in these cases whereas my own Honey Sunburst is, as might be expected in the circumstances, marked in the p'up cavity as being 'HSB'. What more can I say? There is obviously some room for confusion. Perhaps I'm out of touch with official model designations? Pictures, obviously, would have helped somewhat but the OP seems to be wanting to keep everything very hush-hush...

Point taken, I admit, and I was in a bit of a hurry to reply due to work constraints but whether the "ch" means Chrome Hardware or Chrome hardware is, as I'm sure you'll accept, largely an academic point. It means Chrome Hardware any way you care to read it.

Pip.

... There is obviously some room for confusion. Perhaps I'm out of touch with official model designations? ...

Pip.

Perhaps some Gibson employees are confused themselves sometimes and then cause some more confusion. Perhaps you remember a topic of mine about the funny finish code TSB in the model identification of my Silverburst 2011 L6S. With TSB meaning Tobacco Sunburst, SB Sunburst and TB Tea Burst, Silverburst finishes usually are abbreviated SIB. Anyway, the pickup cavities of my AN (Antique Natural) 2011 L6S correctly bear the respective, appropriate codes while that of my SIB 2011 L6S say nothing at all. :-k

EDIT: Via research I found out that the current abbreviation for Silverburst is SLB.

• 3 years later...