Gibson Brands Forums

Excess glue inside guitar need help

nutkunkup

I was trying to stay out it but can't help myself. Should I go take a look to see if I have any glue spots previously un-noticed? I don't recall anything monstrous.

Though I did read Collings leave the excess glue on the Waterloo, and not sand their bracing, to give it that authentic touch and I think Bill thinks it makes them sound better! Read the Waterloo guitar blurbs if you don't believe me.

BluesKing777.

VP, not to quibble - but the 1st Amendment basically only protects us from interference by the government in public speech. So, for example, private business communications on a company's computer is not protected. In general, on the Internet, the 'owner' of the site can restrict what we might call 'free speech'. Hence the common precautions about obscenity, threats, and other behavior most would find offensive. And sites like FaceBook and Google Search are 'controlled' by the owner in ways that some might find an affront to Free Speech. But, they can do it legally.

So here, absent a gruling from the ACLU, while Gibson's Forums have 'guidelines' prohibiting obscenities, threats, etc. it is up to the forum members to collectively and individually decide if a particular comment is 'appropriate' or not. That, in fact, is what we're doing here. And it's very difficult because each of us has a different threshold on the gray, sliding scale. Is a particular comment - "pushback" or is it "bullying" ? Somewhere in between?

So - I'm sure most of us agree ( I certainly do) - the principles of 'Free Speech" should be followed here. But, if you've ever watched a debate on the floor of Congress - you know they sometimes get pretty heated. And they don't violate each other's First Amendment rights. So, I don't think we do here either. And, until 'bullying' becomes illegal - we are free to 'pushback'.

I think it was the way he did it. the title of his thread screamed drama from the get go. Whenever someone posts an "Urgent" or "Need Help!" thread, it's bound to be drama.

Hi guys - just for the record - I didn’t start this thread and it’s not my title. And I don’t do drama. I came across the thread by accident when I typed L-00 Koa into Google. I was looking for any random info on a guitar I really love. I was in the 99% phase of my L-00 life and hadn’t thought about the 1% for months. The Google link on the thread title did stand out so I clicked to read further. Look back and you will see that the OP was from a country where he had no easy access to Gibson. He was also a newbie and came on here for some advice and you managed to freak him out and scare him off. Gibson only made 65 of these guitars and as I had one too I thought I’d comment so that he could see that he wasn’t describing something that was unusual. Yes - I know I committed the dreadful sin of mentioning the M word. I have just looked up the OP’s profile and surprise surprise he’s never been back on the forum. Might be nice to invite him back?

• Upvote 1

VP, not to quibble - but the 1st Amendment basically only protects us from interference by the government in public speech. So, for example, private business communications on a company's computer is not protected. In general, on the Internet, the 'owner' of the site can restrict what we might call 'free speech'. Hence the common precautions about obscenity, threats, and other behavior most would find offensive. And sites like FaceBook and Google Search are 'controlled' by the owner in ways that some might find an affront to Free Speech. But, they can do it legally.

So here, absent a gruling from the ACLU, while Gibson's Forums have 'guidelines' prohibiting obscenities, threats, etc. it is up to the forum members to collectively and individually decide if a particular comment is 'appropriate' or not. That, in fact, is what we're doing here. And it's very difficult because each of us has a different threshold on the gray, sliding scale. Is a particular comment - "pushback" or is it "bullying" ? Somewhere in between?

So - I'm sure most of us agree ( I certainly do) - the principles of 'Free Speech" should be followed here. But, if you've ever watched a debate on the floor of Congress - you know they sometimes get pretty heated. And they don't violate each other's First Amendment rights. So, I don't think we do here either. And, until 'bullying' becomes illegal - we are free to 'pushback'.

Wow, you seem to be serious.

"it is up to the forum members to collectively and individually decide if a particular comment is 'appropriate' or not."

Hi guys - just for the record - I didn’t start this thread and it’s not my title. And I don’t do drama. I came across the thread by accident when I typed L-00 Koa into Google. I was looking for any random info on a guitar I really love. I was in the 99% phase of my L-00 life and hadn’t thought about the 1% for months. The Google link on the thread title did stand out so I clicked to read further. Look back and you will see that the OP was from a country where he had no easy access to Gibson. He was also a newbie and came on here for some advice and you managed to freak him out and scare him off. Gibson only made 65 of these guitars and as I had one too I thought I’d comment so that he could see that he wasn’t describing something that was unusual. Yes - I know I committed the dreadful sin of mentioning the M word. I have just looked up the OP’s profile and surprise surprise he’s never been back on the forum. Might be nice to invite him back?

In all fairness to you and the Phantom OP, invite him if you want. A plague of one-time trolls has a way of going through here on a cyclical basis - they manage to stir things up and then disappear😒

Just went back to page 1 of this thread and did some rereading. PLEASE! All responses were realistic and supportive until the damn thing grew to be totally absurd. He wanted his sad little butt kissed. Maybe where he lives there's no access to a pity party phone line.

Would you care to post photos of the inside of your L 00 koa?

I wanna try and make this post about guitars again.

To post photos first you need to upload them to photobucket ,then once uploaded you can past the image url here for us to see

I am curious

JC

In all fairness to you and the Phantom OP, invite him if you want. A plague of one-time trolls has a way of going through here on a cyclical basis - they manage to stir things up and then disappear😒

It is funny how people who call people "Trolls" usually meet the definition of one.

Hi Juan Carlos - hope these pics have uploaded ok - Pic 1 - rough unsanded bracing, kerfing cut inaccurately and unevenly, glue a mess everywhere and some spilt on back in centre of pic. Pic 2 - glue and/or finishing compound at fingerboard/top join Pic 3 - More messy glue/finishing compound at other end of fingerboard/top. This is a custom shop guitar and the whole point is that you happily pay a premium for the understanding that Gibson’s top luthiers do the work and it should be something special. These pics show that the work was done by someone who isn’t very experienced and that whoever signs these guitars out isn’t doing their job. You don’t find this level of messy workmanship on a M***** or a comparable high end guitar. Like I said in my post, it’s a great guitar and this doesn’t affect its sound or my enjoyment and I’ll spell it out again I don’t think about it ninety nine percent of the time.

Gibson%20Koa%201.JPG?dl=0

Gibson%20Koa%202.JPG?dl=0

Gibson%20Koa%203.JPG?dl=0

Hi Juan Carlos - hope these pics have uploaded ok - Pic 1 - rough unsanded bracing, kerfing cut inaccurately and unevenly, glue a mess everywhere and some spilt on back in centre of pic. Pic 2 - glue and/or finishing compound at fingerboard/top join Pic 3 - More messy glue/finishing compound at other end of fingerboard/top. This is a custom shop guitar and the whole point is that you happily pay a premium for the understanding that Gibson's top luthiers do the work and it should be something special. These pics show that the work was done by someone who isn't very experienced and that whoever signs these guitars out isn't doing their job. You don't find this level of messy workmanship on a M***** or a comparable high end guitar. Like I said in my post, it's a great guitar and this doesn't affect its sound or my enjoyment and I'll spell it out again I don't think about it ninety nine percent of the time.

Gibson%20Koa%201.JPG?dl=0

Gibson%20Koa%202.JPG?dl=0

Gibson%20Koa%203.JPG?dl=0

I had some sloppy kerfing cuts on my very expensive 1938 SJ-200. I filled them with tinted wood filler so it doesn't bug me whenever I see it. It is true that Martin, yes Martin, has Gibson beat by a long shot in the fit and finish category. My new D-42 is absolutely flawless in every way, especially the finish, it is like a mirror whereas Gibson finishes are very uneven. Apparently they don't level sand and just apply a minimum of coats and then go on to buffing.

The picture that shows the glue drops is magnified. Most people would not see that 'defect'. The only part of the brace not sanded - is the section that was scalloped.

I don't inspect the inside of my underwear drawer to make sure it is perfect. My guitars either.

I certainly don't want to pay extra for a cosmetically perfect brace that would stand up to scrutiny using a flashlight and a magnifying glass.

Ricky - having gotten plenty of mileage on your complaint - and suggestion that Gibson 'sort your people out', I submit your next move is to return your Gibson and get a Martin.

Of course, your Collectors Mint Museum piece will have to be dumped when you get your first ding from a falling capo, tuner, or case lid.

The picture that shows the glue drops is magnified. Most people would not see that 'defect'. The only part of the brace not sanded - is the section that was scalloped.

I don't inspect the inside of my underwear drawer to make sure it is perfect. My guitars either.

I certainly don't want to pay extra for a cosmetically perfect brace that would stand up to scrutiny using a flashlight and a magnifying glass.

Ricky - having gotten plenty of mileage on your complaint - and suggestion that Gibson 'sort your people out', I submit your next move is to return your Gibson and get a Martin.

Of course, your Collectors Mint Museum piece will have to be dumped when you get your first ding from a falling capo, tuner, or case lid.

So you do not care about aesthetics, good for you, many people do care, such as some of my customers. I repair dings and scratches all the time. I wish more people were like this as more of the guitars that come to me would be in better shape.