Gibson Brands Forums

BluesHawk Club

Vestapol

Looks good to me and it's a beauty… What did you pay for it if you don't mind telling… I don't think the blues hawk was a popular enough or expensive enough guitar for anyone to consider making counterfeits. I don't think I have ever seen one that has a bigsby on it before so it's either a rare one or someone had it modded. Either way just enjoy the guitar, if you got it for a good price you did very well….

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do the hardtail and the Bigsby equiped have different neck angle? Because the pic above shows how high the pups has to be raised. I had to rout my hardtail Blueshawk to make the roller bridge fit. I couldn't find any Information on that. As the blueshawk.info site is closed...

Maybe somebody of you guys knows about that.

Have great day!

• 3 weeks later...

For all Blueshawk-Lovers. The blueshawk.info site is shut down since a few months - why I don't know, but the guy who made it was sick as far as I know. Maybe he couldn't handle it any longer, but I hope he's alright.

Anyways, I found a site where you can look at the homepage as PDF.

Click here -> My link

I will upgrade my Blueshawk with golden Mini-Humbuckers from bg-pups.com - hopefully they will arrive next week. Once I had this combination with Gibson Minis but they where not good balanced. The bridge where too low in output but I loved the sound of the Mini-humbuckers so hopefully this time it'll be a good Set - although I always had amazing stuff from Mr. Bryan Gunsher so no concerns here.

Just wanted to give you all the chance to see those informations from the blueshawk site.

Greetings from sunny Austria [thumbup]

Blueshawk

• 4 weeks later...

I received the Mini Humbuckers a few days ago.

What a great guitar. Now it sounds like it grown up.

While I have had to wait for the pups I tried the stock pups, just for fun, but after half an hour I put them away. I'll keep them, just in case I'd ever sell her (no Way 😉) but I'd never use them again. Any pup would sound better than the Blues90 - that's my personal meaning.

In this guitar I have tried P90 (this was not my sound), than Gibson Mini Humbucker (they sounded great but where not good matched, the bridge was too low in output and could not keep up with the neck), than I put in Häussel Tronebucker (very good pups - now installed in a Strat), after that I thought I need TV-Jones T-Armonds for 50s Rock&Roll but Pups alone can not do miracles. Although they are really unbelieveable great pups they didn't stand out, played with the whole band.

So I thought, what was the best pup/guitar combination I had? The Minis where the only solution for me. And I was right. This is the sound I had in my head - they are hotter then normal Minis (10,7k &12,7k) but they clean up nicely but when I turn up the volume knob they punch you in the face.

Greets

Blueshawk

That's mine now.

Did you never regret that you sold her?

After the pups didn't suit my sound I was after I thought about selling it for a minute but except for the pups I loved mine so I decided to pimp mine and I couldn't be happier.

It had a very irritating hum in some situations. It was an interesting guitar, but I went back to my two humbucker Les Paul. Putting in two mini humbuckers would have been a good option. Wish I would have considered it before I let her go.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm looking for my old Blueshawk....and I'd like your all's help. I had my Blueshawk modified, so it's easy to ID. Here's the deal: I'm in Virginia, and had Pink Guitars do my mods...locking keys, bigsby, Duncan Pearly Gates humbuckers, ebony in color and I played her hard. The bigsby was added before Gibson issued it, so my bridge is routed down into the body, and the duncan pickups are black. Pass along info if you've seen her...

• 7 months later...

We picked up a Gibson "The Hawk" FOTL a few months ago @ MGR.. FOTL Gibson The Hawk @ MGR

It plays pretty darn good compared to the Blueshawk & Nighthawk..

We have since put a SD P-Rail with triple shot switchable ring in the bridge & " A Little Thunder" in the neck along with a separate output jack for the ALT.. " A Little Thunder"

ROCK ON!! Gary/Hk

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my first Blueshawk on Wednesday this week and I love it. I got it from Guitar Center and the previous owner refinished the top and neck but everything else is stock. This guitar is great for blues and not too distorted classic rock. I love the weight on it and the variety of tones. This one, ugly as it may be with the refinish, is definitely a keeper!

• 2 months later...

Does anybody know the differences between a tremolo & hardtail Blueshawk?

I added a Bigsby and had to route to make the TOM-Bridge fit but the original BH with Tremolo did not require any routing as far as I can tell by the pics I've seen.

Is the neck angled different? The 3way switch and the tone pot is on a different position than on hardtails.

Greets from sunny Austria

Blueshawk

Does anybody know the differences between a tremolo & hardtail Blueshawk?

I added a Bigsby and had to route to make the TOM-Bridge fit but the original BH with Tremolo did not require any routing as far as I can tell by the pics I've seen.

Is the neck angled different? The 3way switch and the tone pot is on a different position than on hardtails.

Greets from sunny Austria

Blueshawk

The Nighthawk and Blueshawk have a string through hardtail bridge, similar to a hardtail Strat bridge.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey all, New Blueshawk fan, old time Gibson Player.

Recently picked this beast up a couple of weeks ago, and love everything, well mostly, about it. My wife saw it in a store and went...."It's red, P90's and has F holes, You HAVE to own it. So as to avoid a fight with the wife came home with it!

it's a 97 Blueshawk, push/pull added to the tone control to bypass the varitone, Blues 90 pickups, dummy coil, etc etc. Great playing and sounding instrument, but I noticed something about it that doesn't make sense to me.

it doesn't have the Blueshawk name on the side of the neck pickup. Is that something Gibson did at times? or a mistake?