Gibson Brands Forums

DIY 2.0

Dub-T-123

Ok cool.. let me start with the last pics from my Black Kroina build :)

Wiring

E7MzFpN.jpg

I get a small panel of wood (still from one of the doors I took apart when I started all this :)) and mark the positions of the controls by putting the guitar on top and using a drill bit to mark the holes

zHuvLyw.jpg

Always use a small alligator clip as a heat sink in order to avoid damaging the cap with the soldering iron

guB0cna.jpg

lfKx5nM.jpg

72nknJU.jpg

8trxKpI.jpg

jWRiIxq.jpg

8wYkfJP.jpg

hy4AKES.jpg

lG3hAdd.jpg

:D

• Upvote 1

Here in the US we get a little black box that says "the image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available imgur.com" I can see Dub's photo, but none of yours. :angry:

My fault... After I realised how huge the pics were I deleted them from imgur and have just re-uploaded them smaller and am about to update now.

This is four-knob (late 60s) Fuzz Face clone I built a few years ago. I thought it sounded amazing with the silicon transistors I had in there, but today I finally got around to popping in the AC128s that our resident fuzzgod Dub-T-123 sent me a while back. D@mn! Just D@MN! It sounds like GOD through the JTM45. I'm in heaven right now!

bx2pM1Ml.jpg

Not gonna lie dude I do not even remember sending those to you haha. I remember sending some MKII parts or somethin

Let me know if you need more stuff like that though

I love a good FF though.. the breadboard pic in the OP is a circuit I designed for my friend which is a BC108 FF with a tone control and a buffered dry volume control. So you can blend in your clean signal with the dry volume, and set the fuzz volume independently. It's for a bass player. It took a bit of experimenting to get the FF to sound right with the buffered splitter and everything but I was able to get it working great. Another result of the added buffers is that the pedal can be placed anywhere in the signal chain without the normal issues associated with the FF, so it's really pretty cool

Not gonna lie dude I do not even remember sending those to you haha. I remember sending some MKII parts or somethin

Doh! #-o I prolly ordered them from somewhere and forgot about it then. [biggrin]

Regardless it sounds amazing. I'm diggin' it.

I do need to get around to making a Tonebender out of the parts you sent though.

Let me know if you need more stuff like that though

Well I ordered some perf so that I can finally take a shot at building a Tonebender from those parts you sent. I know I could do it on turret like I normally do, but I wanted to try something different. I'll keep you posted here - most likely cuz I'll need help. :rolleyes:

Well I ordered some perf so that I can finally take a shot at building a Tonebender from those parts you sent. I know I could do it on turret like I normally do, but I wanted to try something different. I'll keep you posted here - most likely cuz I'll need help. :rolleyes:

I've got a piece of .15" pitch stripboard already cut to size with your name on it if you want to try that. I cut it to the original MKII board specs like the ones I make.

IMG_2954.jpg

I think I sent you the 1/2W resistors and caps and shielded wire, which fit correctly on the larger .15" pitch board or turret etc but kinda clunky on .1" pitch. I don't remember what I sent though.

Anyway lemme know if you wanna give that a shot and I can ship it this weekend.

Well I still haven't managed to get back to the Korina build yet BUT I did pick this up today and thought it may be of interest.

Its a 62 Strat... Things of note.. Its been painted black (fairly badly) and its a burst under there... Second you can tell its age because of the thin curved fretboard.. In 63 (apparently) they went to the thicker slab boards which are flat at the bottom..

So here it is.. Nothing fancy but nice to get my hands on such an old instrument.

fzjG8QS.jpg

KTTtbYI.jpg

vyDLU8R.jpg

CCcxnGo.jpg

BkK9OhO.jpg

KzqyteZ.jpg

GUApDxi.jpg

bJU3NSF.jpg

pKtnXJ0.jpg

8quiQp0.jpg

I will post some more when I open her up :)

• Upvote 1

[woot][love]

You 'picked it up'????

:-k=D>

???? Where's the 'green with envy' emoticon??

Ha.. Sorry I should have said.. to do a service on, which is why ive posted I here rather than a New Vintage Guitar Day thread ... Lol, me with a Strat.. I don't think so :P I did have a quick strum though and have to say it was quite resonant and loud unplugged.

The guy hasn't played it for years and one of the pots are a bit scratchy.. So im going to try and clean it up as good as I can with some electrical lubricant and cleaner and then give the fretboard a clean and then re-string and do a set up.. UNLESS I find something else wrong with it, in which case there will have to be obvious discussion if I find I need any new (or old rather) parts which will of course have to be vintage too.

BUT you want to hear how much he paid for it?

He bought it off his brother quite a while ago for £150 :o

I think I sent you the 1/2W resistors and caps and shielded wire, which fit correctly on the larger .15" pitch board or turret etc but kinda clunky on .1" pitch. I don't remember what I sent though.

Anyway lemme know if you wanna give that a shot and I can ship it this weekend.

Hmmmm.... I looked and the stuff I ordered is 2.54mm (or 1 inch) pitch. Didn't even know that was a thing, since I've always used turret (or printed circuits). Always so much to learn!

That's an L series Strat, that's really cool!!

Sunburst was the only standard finish option for the Strat at that time period. If you wanted a different color, you would have to custom order it, and they often painted the custom color right on top of a sunburst finish. If that was an original black finish, this thing would be some real cash

Any way, it's probably a great guitar. I'm jealous that you have it in your posession

That's an L series Strat, that's really cool!!

Sunburst was the only standard finish option for the Strat at that time period. If you wanted a different color, you would have to custom order it, and they often painted the custom color right on top of a sunburst finish. If that was an original black finish, this thing would be some real cash

Any way, it's probably a great guitar. I'm jealous that you have it in your posession

Interesting.. Cheers, I didn't know that.. Even though I did know that a lot of people painted over tham at the time... My first thought was oohh, wouldn't it be cool to try and strip down.. But if that paint job was done in the 60s its just as much a part of the history of the guitar as anything and should be left as is.

And yes, its an honour to be trusted with something like this.. Another one of those steps I had to take. Working on a vintage instrument :)

The guy hasn't played it for years and one of the pots are a bit scratchy.. So im going to try and clean it up as good as I can with some electrical lubricant and cleaner and then give the fretboard a clean and then re-string and do a set up.. UNLESS I find something else wrong with it...

Looks like a fun guitar to work on. Looking forward to seeing those gut shots. Can you do us a favor and measure the output of the pickups whilst you have it on the bench?

Hmmmm.... I looked and the stuff I ordered is 2.54mm (or 1 inch) pitch. Didn't even know that was a thing, since I've always used turret (or printed circuits). Always so much to learn!

Let me know if you want that board. Or I can show you where I buy it. Actually I would like to get the old RS phenolic kind without the printed grid but it's not easy to find in the US

Interesting.. Cheers, I didn't know that.. Even though I did know that a lot of people painted over tham at the time... My first thought was oohh, wouldn't it be cool to try and strip down.. But if that paint job was done in the 60s its just as much a part of the history of the guitar as anything and should be left as is.

And yes, its an honour to be trusted with something like this.. Another one of those steps I had to take. Working on a vintage instrument :)

Did the guy say it was a refinish or is it just an obvious hack job? The reason I ask is that the finishes from that period do not hold up to time/the elements well and many people would look at an original finish and think it looks awful

What happens is the finish sinks into the grain over time so it loses that mirror smooth appearance. Then of course it also checks, cracks, flakes, etc. All that stuff is normal for an original finish, but if it has runs and stuff like that and it was just obviously never a professional job then that's a shame

Did the guy say it was a refinish or is it just an obvious hack job? The reason I ask is that the finishes from that period do not hold up to time/the elements well and many people would look at an original finish and think it looks awful

What happens is the finish sinks into the grain over time so it loses that mirror smooth appearance. Then of course it also checks, cracks, flakes, etc. All that stuff is normal for an original finish, but if it has runs and stuff like that and it was just obviously never a professional job then that's a shame

He just said he knows that it was a sunburst.. that's all I really know...

And it wasn't so bad that it had runs but you can see the brush strokes sort of thing... I need to look closer as I only gave it a quick once over but the paint job itself seemed old.. So I think it probably was done in the 60s, the second I looked at it I knew straight away so thus I know it wasn't a great job. But those strokes may actually be cracking...

If you look close at these pics

KTTtbYI.jpg

AdBn2CA.jpg

Looking at those pics I honestly don't think that was brushed on but I'm not looking at it in person. I think the tell tale would be if the edges have "brush strokes" in a different direction or some obvious indication that it was brushed on.

What I can see looks like it could be an original finish on a well loved guitar

As I'm sure you know, the difference in value between a refinished vintage Strat and an original custom color is HUGE. Black is a really desirable custom color. If that is factory original, you're working on a pretty valuable guitar

And like you said of course it could just be an old refinish. Would be great to hear if the original owner had it painted or what. If his brother was the original owner, and thought it was refinished just because he found the sunburst underneath, it could actually be original. Then again, you know a lot of guys had to have seen Jimi or Clapton with a black Strat and got theirs refinished

Looking at those pics I honestly don't think that was brushed on but I'm not looking at it in person. I think the tell tale would be if the edges have "brush strokes" in a different direction or some obvious indication that it was brushed on.

What I can see looks like it could be an original finish on a well loved guitar

As I'm sure you know, the difference in value between a refinished vintage Strat and an original custom color is HUGE. Black is a really desirable custom color. If that is factory original, you're working on a pretty valuable guitar

And like you said of course it could just be an old refinish. Would be great to hear if the original owner had it painted or what. If his brother was the original owner, and thought it was refinished just because he found the sunburst underneath, it could actually be original. Then again, you know a lot of guys had to have seen Jimi or Clapton with a black Strat and got theirs refinished

Yeah.. its one of those things you need to be a REAL expert on to tell... While I know a fair amount im still learning too (as we all are :)) Which is why small projects like this are cool it makes me want to learn about the history more. But as I say, I spotted it within seconds of picking it up..

I will give it a good look over when I service it... And the guy is on holiday now till the 2nd Aug so when I give it back to him I will see what he knows about its history [thumbup]

I will give it a good look over when I service it... And the guy is on holiday now till the 2nd Aug so when I give it back to him I will see what he knows about its history [thumbup]

So screw the paint... how's the sumb!tch sound, Rabs?

Yeah.. its one of those things you need to be a REAL expert on to tell... While I know a fair amount im still learning too (as we all are :)) Which is why small projects like this are cool it makes me want to learn about the history more. But as I say, I spotted it within seconds of picking it up..

I hope you enjoy playing with it while you got it! One of my buddies let me borrow an L series Mustang for a while and I have never played such a good sounding Fender but the neck was so tiny it was really hard to play. Couldn't have been more than 1 9/16" nut width. If I could get that sound with a normal neck I would be in heaven, so these L series Strats and Teles really pique my interest

Basically if I lived near you I would be running over to your house right now [laugh]