Gibson Brands Forums

A Guitar Lesson from Rory Gallagher

IanHenry

Interesting interview, Ian. Thanks for posting.

As far as the track 'Shadow Play' is concerned - and for anyone who likes Rory but doesn't know about this part of his story;

It was originally intended to be on Rory's aborted 'American Album' from '77-'78 provisionally-entitled(?) "Notes From San Francisco" (which was eventually released 33 years later in 2011). His record company at the time had suggested the idea of a more 'American' sounding album in the hope of attracting greater sales-figures in the United States and, to this end, Gallagher's usual pared-down band was augmented by extra keyboards, multi-part guitar layering and a horn section. On hearing the final mixes Rory absolutely hated the sound. Unfortunately this put him at odds with a couple of his long-term band-mates - Rod De'Ath and Lou Martin - who both liked the new sound and the result was that Rory formed a new trio keeping, from his old band, only Gerry McAvoy on bass and bringing in Ted McKenna on drums.

This is the line-up which recorded 'Photo-Finish', six of whose tracks - including 'Shadow Play' - were new cuts of tracks from the proposed 'Notes..' album, and which was released in late '78; just a few months after the 'Notes..' cuts had been shelved indefinitely.

Pip.

• Upvote 1

Really enjoyed both of those clips. And thanks for the back-story, Pip. I can't imagine Rory in a setting other than the trio.... Rory + Gerry + any drummer = awesome. What a master of the Strat. He could really coax tones out of it. [thumbup]

Interestingly it looks like Super Reverb amps in the backline not the AC30 with which he is so associated. Still sounds like Rory though.

...I can't imagine Rory in a setting other than the trio.... Rory + Gerry + any drummer = awesome. What a master of the Strat...

I know what you mean.

Oddly enough the De'Ath / Martin lineup along with Gerry McAvoy was my first taste (pun) of Gallagher as it was this four-piece who recorded the maginficent "Irish Tour '74" but I do prefer him with a three-piece.

As far as studio albums go I think 'Photo Finish' is his best but he was always better as a live act.

Pip.

As Brian alluded to, Rory was a LOT better player, than he's given credit for. Seems, in most "Top 100 polls" he's ranked

about mid way. IMHO, he should be nearer the top level, than that! I can't help but wonder, if he had been a "Star" in

the popular sense, he would be rated a LOT higher, regardless of his obvious amazing talent. We're such a "celebrity"

culture, that it tends to taint, or skewer, those ratings. Again, IMHO. [tongue]

CB

...Rory was a LOT better player, than he's given credit for. Seems, in most "Top 100 polls" he's ranked

about mid way. IMHO, he should be nearer the top level, than that!...

One of my very first replies ever in the Gibson Forum was concerning 'Underrated Guitarists' or something when someone had mentioned Rory Gallagher.

This came as a huge surprise to me and I said something along the lines of 'I don't know of a single person who underrates R. G. as a guitarist' to be informed that, contrary to his appreciation in the UK (in his day), Rory was all but unknown in the US primarily because he didn't play the 'Star' game / card which was the usual practice if you wanted to 'Make It Big In America'.

Which, neatly enough, brings us right back to 'Notes From San Francisco' and 'Shadow Play'...

Sadly missed.

Pip.

Rory also had a unique niche. He wasn't playing blues - but he was. He wasn't playing rock - but he was. His songs were like no one else really. He was unique, and that's not necessarily a good thing as far as the music "business" is concerned.

On a related note, imagine if Rory's first album broke in the US the year after SRV and Texas Flood. I think once the white boy blues thing was reignited by SRV, Rory could've gained a lot of popularity here. Just a thought. Not that it matters now.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Love Rory but never warmed to Shadowplay....always sounded like 'Rory interprets Sultans of Swing' to me. Pippy's point may explain why I get the feeling like that.

my favourite is always this one...(even with bass solo and keys)...Rory cutting loose and loving what he's doing:

• Upvote 1

On 7/25/2017 at 6:05 PM, surfpup said:

On a related note, imagine if Rory's first album broke in the US the year after SRV and Texas Flood. I think once the white boy blues thing was reignited by SRV, Rory could've gained a lot of popularity here. Just a thought. Not that it matters now.

I agree with this. I had a few albums of Rory's when they came out, but never really got into them for whatever reason... perhaps because my tastes were changing. But I'm rediscovering his music more recently while re-exploring music of that era.  Rory absolutely kicks *** and takes no prisoners. 

• 1 year later...

I'm now faced with the choice of whether to continue my guitar studies or to go deeper into college. I want to find a series of a guitar lesson from rory gallagher. I've heard a lot for their quality in guitar teaching.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I understand that for studying in college I can use the site   https://edubirdie.com/correct-my-essay , which helps with homework. With this site I can correct my essays. So, weighing all the pros and cons, decided to learn to play guitar, as it is already becoming a hobby for me.

Edited by Freddie Adams