Gibson Brands Forums

Ever cry while singing/writing your own song?

Roach

This happened to me again today, i was just practicing singing and throwing out whatever words came to me, then i jotted down the lyrics and finished them than while playing the new tune, i just started balling like a baby...

Does this happen to you too?

Just so you don't feel like the "Lone Ranger"...

As I've gotten older, certain songs mean more to me than others, whether originals or covers. That said, one that I wrote when I moved quite often early on (13 times in 5 years) gets me going. If I think about just chord progressions and lyrics, I'm fine, but if I associate names and faces and instances, I can become quite emotional. You're not alone. I really think that truly great songwriting comes from personal experience, and how you interpret and portray them.

I really think that truly great songwriting comes from personal experience, and how you interpret and portray them.

Thanks, I think i have a really great song here... especially if i get someone else to sing it lol

Its probably from my experiencing listening to songs that it is probably someone else's song already, hahaha

different words though

I do think you have to "feel" the song, to make it great

Yes. I wrote a song about my Dad who died 29 years ago called Jealous of Angels. When I was in the studio recording it I started crying. Jeeze Louise, 29 years later. My wife said, "You have some unprocessed grief. I said "Do you think?".

This happened to me again today, i was just practicing singing and throwing out whatever words came to me, then i jotted down the lyrics and finished them than while playing the new tune, i just started balling like a baby...

Yes, it's happened to me.

Yes.

In the last year of my Dads fight with cancer I wrote a song called "My Dad".

I had trouble making it through the recording. I listened to once later. And in the past two years I have not listened to it once.

Because I know I would cry.

Btw my Dad loved the song. And showed the lyrics to everyone he saw.

Yeah...l know...

• Thanks 1

brad that is kool he had the chance to know the song...Yeah my dad was beat by cancer in 2003. I started writing that song and it got me good enough i never finished it...That one starts off from HIS perspective as he lay in his hospice bed, and i guess the only title i can give the unfinished work would be "hold me tight".

The song i wrote yesterday is very typical and simple. Based on standard blues chords. But the new song refers to a long relationship that died years ago but has not ended yet and is called "dont wanna live without you". But not in a suicide stalker way, but in the way that long relationships like this one tend to become survival dependent especially after just being diagnosed with diabetis 2. Its a sweet lovey tune actually considering there hasnt been anything nice said in years... too much info maybe but there it is...

No I haven't cried over a song ever

4H

all kinds of tunes have choked me up, but it is really not the song i suppose it is the experience that you relate to and where that song takes you. I guess i have had a sad life...

Other people would certainly cry if they heard me sing. Perhaps even threaten bodily injury. At minimum, they might run to find the nearest set of earplugs or caulking sealant. One person even vomited violently! My singing is almost as bad as Vogon poetry.

There's a song that a friend of mine wrote that we recorded back in 1991 and it still brings feelings today. Not crying but definitely a powerful song if you pay attention to the words and understand their meaning.

Oh yes. I have written hundreds of songs. If I am writing a 'heavier' lyric theme, often, I get teary-eyed. And I know I am on to something. Like just this past week, I have completed a song that brought me to tears several times during its writing and rewriting. Who knows, but I think the end product is sensational lol. We'll see.

Other people would certainly cry if they heard me sing. Perhaps even threaten bodily injury. At minimum, they might run to find the nearest set of earplugs or caulking sealant. One person even vomited violently! My singing is almost as bad as Vogon poetry.

There's a song that a friend of mine wrote that we recorded back in 1991 and it still brings feelings today. Not crying but definitely a powerful song if you pay attention to the words and understand their meaning.

It could not possibly be as bad as mine... i sing so bad even I want to vomit. After humiliating myself every time i attempted to sing in front of anyone i gave up, i refused to try in my bands. was good that i was drummer because most the time singing wasnt demanded of me. Now i am 49 yrs and just starting to try to learn and improve.... I have seen minor improvement just from trying consistently. But still beginner.

It could not possibly be as bad as mine... i sing so bad even I want to vomit. After humiliating myself every time i attempted to sing in front of anyone i gave up, i refused to try in my bands. was good that i was drummer because most the time singing wasnt demanded of me. Now i am 49 yrs and just starting to try to learn and improve.... I have seen minor improvement just from trying consistently. But still beginner.

Yeah, I've definitely heard worse than me. I can sing in tune, mostly, and can do some backups. I don't have the voice or the range for lead vocals so I just tell people how horrible I am. And, I find it hard to sing and play guitar at the same time if it's anything fairly complicated. I'm a lot more comfortable just playing.

Yeah, I've definitely heard worse than me. I can sing in tune, mostly, and can do some backups. I don't have the voice or the range for lead vocals so I just tell people how horrible I am. And, I find it hard to sing and play guitar at the same time if it's anything fairly complicated. I'm a lot more comfortable just playing.

same for me...

but, you really should not insult yourself, if you suck, so what. Dont even think about how good or bad you are. Think about this, mick jagger didnt have a great singing voice, really. but nobody in rock that i can think of put out more of themself, their soul, behind their singing than he does. mick is the perfect example of how to put all of yourself into what you do... (not my fav singer but he got soul), I am not even positive that he has any effects, it seems he is straight from the mic to through the board and to the speakers, maybe wrong but using some effects can certainly help you and me cover up some of our weakness. Anyway I dont mean to be redundant but at least half of what makes you good or bad is the attitude you approach it with, so stop saying you suck and start not giving a crap about that and just focus on having fun...even when you are just playing, that will start showing in your performance. I know you know this already... just reminding you eh

I skip the tears and go to anger.

Because what I am sad about I try to be aggressive about...

I want it to ROCK! and then I'm all fkd up afterwards but not crying just angry.

Thanks for that I am doing something like that to experiment with different vocals to power the tune up and yea i see how that works... It isnt ager for this one just a bluesy somewhat southern gritty powerful lotts of air, like im really feeling it to my core, The song is becoming an awesome tune with so much potential vocals and lead guitars, but its sort of standard blues rock, and i can almost bet its been done and i have heard it... Very similar to "i found you" LA guns, but not exactly and my tune requires those talented players to be playing for that level of talent, but its great for improving on... loving it. The more i let go while singing, the more it does express a range of emotions and ya im over the episode of crying. I played it for who i wrote it about and that fixed that.

referenced this song:

It's never happened to me ever. Likey won't ever. Usually I'm more listening to the music. I'm not a lyric guy.

The only time I need lyrics is with the band and only for keying on the changes. I rarely care what's being said.

But I'm weird like that.

My entire life music has never ever been about the lyric. Just the music.

Not sure why.

• 3 years later...

This made me think of an old Ted Nugent interview in Creem Magazine.

He's talking about practicing the guitar and he said, "I play with myself a lot, sometimes it's so beautiful it makes me cry" and then he realized what he said and went, "Don't you guys print that, I know how you Creem a@@holes are!" so, of course, they put that as a caption under a big picture of him.

Edited by SteveFord