Gibson Brands Forums

DIY 2.0

Dub-T-123

Ok.. Got all the hardware on... Just needs soldering and a setup and we are done [thumbup]

Ku9U3Pq.jpg

3WfNIgy.jpg

cdyWyrN.jpg

RKdmugR.jpg

Qk8c9mO.jpg

45akMJg.jpg

And almost forgot the strap pins ..

aXfAwVL.jpg

They didn't come with washers but I have some spare.. Gotta have a fluffy washer :)

3sAP31m.jpg

Sorted

aH4EHvt.jpg

Hopefully barring anything weird going on I will actually get this finished tomorrow [thumbup]

That is looking amazing dude!!! The reflectors are the perfect choice

Now I'm delaying my 5e3 cab build further because I couldn't resist mounting the chassis and speaker to hear how it sounds in the cab. The cab really added a noticeable amount of low end and the amp just sounds bigger and beautifully balanced now. It sounds so sweet with any of my guitars, it's gonna be hard to wait weeks for the finishing to be done so I can put it back together. So happy with the sound from this thing

iqE3pAx.jpg

That is looking amazing dude!!! The reflectors are the perfect choice

Now I'm delaying my 5e3 cab build further because I couldn't resist mounting the chassis and speaker to hear how it sounds in the cab. The cab really added a noticeable amount of low end and the amp just sounds bigger and beautifully balanced now. It sounds so sweet with any of my guitars, it's gonna be hard to wait weeks for the finishing to be done so I can put it back together. So happy with the sound from this thing

iqE3pAx.jpg

Man, that looks great. Really nice job rounding the edges (that gave me trouble in my own cabinet build). [thumbup]

• Upvote 1

The grain on that body and top is just sick! The two-color binding looks great too. [thumbup]

Thanks one and all.

Yeah, even though I have had people tell me that it wont sustain well because of sympathetic vibrations that are going the other way on the neck because the grain is going a different way to the body [rolleyes]

It does look cool though ;)

We may all find out tomorrow.

And yes... GREAT job there Dub.. Proper looks the business [thumbup]

Ohh and by the way, since Photobucket wiped it out.. This is the plan for the next build

fmQd4ml.jpg

Which will be very similar in design to the Korina one but with this Walnut body (which I also cut with the grain the other way around [rolleyes] ) and currently looks like this

rQjAaPK.jpg

Man, that looks great. Really nice job rounding the edges (that gave me trouble in my own cabinet build). [thumbup]

Thanks mang. I used the porter cable router in the background with a cheap harbor freight 3/8" round over bit (no router table). With the pine I really don't seem to get any tear out with that bit. With maple or something harder it can be really hard to avoid tearout. Since the face of the cabinet is angled, I didn't attempt to use the router on that part at all. Instead I used a long sanding block with 120 and did it by hand. The radii of the front top and bottom are slightly smaller than the rest of the edges cause that kinda looked right for some reason.

Other than the 120 to shape the face, I sanded all of the radiused edges by hand with 220. I didn't want to distort the edges at all which will be covered in a gloss finish.

I also did a lot of the cuts involving the facia strips by hand with a Japanese flush cut saw. There were a couple key points that gave me trouble on my Revibe cab which I replaced with careful manual work for this cabinet. Once you blow out a corner or something it's really hard to recover

Man, that cab looks put together super tight. Great work.

You guys are pros.

Thanks dude I am literally a professional custom cabinet maker but this is my second amp cab. I would much rather be making amps than kitchens and bathrooms and stuff but it's nice to have all of the tools

Ok.. no more mucking about.. ITS FINISHED .. YAY :D

Some shots

llj9F5Q.jpg

cpgDNcZ.jpg

Aclzmsc.jpg

Im REALLY happy with the action on this... Low as you can go and no buzzing.. And intonates surprisingly well for a wrap around

IZ1PfNs.jpg

rgYSecH.jpg

BknIQtp.jpg

SQb9nmf.jpg

kXtKs2P.jpg

So... All done.. Whoopee .. I did a very rough demo.. Its done on my phone and through a rubbish practice amp so don't expect it to sound great but after all this time I just wanted to get something up.. I will get a full quality demo done soon. :) I will say now though.. Sympathetic vibrations my arse ;)

Ohh and since photoknobs killed our last thread.. I went and had a look at my initial design idea...

But I always knew it would look better in real life :)

JFDxwQY.jpg

Things my missus says when I show her guitars I'm looking at:

- boring

- that colour is ugly

- nice but you won't sound better only because you buy one of those

- 4000 for a guitar? Are you nuts?

When I showed her this one:

Ohhhh that's beautiful!

And he built it all by himself? Awesome!

You can be proud of yourself Rabs.

Oh I like it too by the way!

Things my missus says when I show her guitars I'm looking at:

- boring

- that colour is ugly

- nice but you won't sound better only because you buy one of those

- 4000 for a guitar? Are you nuts?

When I showed her this one:

Ohhhh that's beautiful!

And he built it all by himself? Awesome!

You can be proud of yourself Rabs.

Oh I like it too by the way!

Thank you.. Quite the compliment. So she wouldn't mind if you bought it then ;)

Ohh and one last thing. I weighed it today.. Comes in at what I feel is a perfect 8.5lbs [thumbup]

ec4rJ1H.jpg

Congrats Rabs!!! That is great to hear, I'm so happy for you!!

Did that go to the vintage Strat guy?

Thank you.

And yup :) He lives over the road from my "workshop" and saw the original lump of wood I made this from and I promised to go show it too him when it was done.... So I went over Tuesday night to show him and he said he had the day off the next day and wanted to know if he could borrow it overnight just to check it out.. So I said yes.. Then I went back this afternoon and we had a long chat, as I walked in the door he told me how much it sings and that it begged to be overdriven.. Its that sort of guitar :).. And then after an hour or so of us talking guitars he said you know what lets do it..

So yeah, I was kinda shocked but obviously happy that something I made can have that effect.. Literally the first person to try it and bought it... Even I haven't played it much beyond a few chords.

Now on to the African Walnut build.. [thumbup]

That's the best part - when you've made something that someone feels they love and can't do without. Congrats on the sale, man. [thumbup]

Cheers... We were playing through that Marshall and the pickup combo REALLY works... Sounded great.Without boasting, in terms of playability and sound I would pit this guitar with almost any other.. He said he loved the woman tone it makes and the sustain was good... In some ways im sad cos I was actually thinking about keeping it for myself.. But that kind of defeats the object of what im (trying) to do :)

Righty.. So on with this Walnut build...

Did the carve today. Also the binding channel is done cos trying to do it after the carve is way more difficult. So I draw around the areas I want to carve.

k8JBWUd.jpg

I put the binding on and mark around the top of it which gives me a nice accurate line to carve down too.

GwrSnml.jpg?1

And go at it with my angle grinder that has a sanding disc attachment

2wvxGW6.jpg

First pass

Da5nv3n.jpg

I do the horns with the orbital sander as I want a bit more control in this area.. And will finish it with files and sandpaper.

icOh3F3.jpg

And here we are

nipyVX2.jpg

Then I smooth the humps and bumps with my orbital sander

J7qQChk.jpg

And here we go

YZvoTcI.jpg

M0MHsYB.jpg

Nr2byNW.jpg

Still needs more fine sanding and possibly shaping... But I find it best to stop here and come back tomorrow with fresh eyes. Before you go too far and cant go back :)

More soon.

• Upvote 1

On with the neck... Made from some really nice re-claimed wood (Asian mahogany I think, could be Iroko, really hard to tell)

You can see how old the wood is

8KZvJYV.jpg

But it clean up real nice

IgW4Ivd.jpg

So I shape it

troXy5W.jpg

Put the trussrod in and make the access hole for the adjustment tool

06EpL9A.jpg

p9C4ioG.jpg

And all glued up

7GlGXGk.jpg

Heres the body.. A bit more sanding done.. Almost there

235XNxv.jpg

04WbP74.jpg

Here I wet the body a little to get a glimpse of what it may look like with finish

FGW9Ax5.jpg

And heres a sneak preview of whats coming next.. Im just deciding if its going to be another carved top or to use one of the nice maple tops I have for it.

FwOKsid.jpg