Gibson Brands Forums

Does Tone-Rite really work?

NJ Tom

As the topic title asks, what's your experience?

I've watched some YouTube demos but I'm skeptical only because audio from video to video is so varied and easily manipulated. Does this voodoo really make a difference or is it just a scam to increase my CC balance by $150?

Not quite sure you want to go there. But the guys I know who use it tell me it works but only temporarily. It gets the molecules a bouncing and loosens up the grain but then it all goes back to its same old use to be once you stop using it. Back in the day though we used to put our acoustics near the drum riser or in front of stereo speakers.

Ill keep it mild, but from every single example of before and after that Ive heard the tone became thinner and brighter than before the treatment. In other words, personally I felt it made the guitar sound actually worse in every example Ive come across.

Pretty civilised answer I believe. :rolleyes:

I'd save the cash and just put a big old speaker next to your guitar and crank it up with some good music.

You should feel the vibrations on the top of your guitar.

Just don't play Rap on your speaker or your guitar will wind up sounding like cRap.

And steer clear of banjo and bagpipe music.

And The Wiggles.

On second thought - just play the damn thing and let it improve in sound the way nature intended.

Just as some perceive tonal changes in an instrument when changing bridge pin material (many do not), some perceive such changes behind the use of a Tone-Rite. Where does the truth lie? In the ears of the listener. A Tone-Rite is a more expensive experiment than bridge pins, but it is nonetheless an experiment with results that seem to vary with the listener and, to some degree, with the instrument. Some hear dramatic changes, others hear none. And just as different ears perceive results, different instruments may well produce different results.

I do know that my 12 fret J-45 sounds very tight and congested for the first 15-20 minutes of play, at which point it definitely seems to relax, generating more warmth and a smoother voice. The 14 fret Vintage demonstrates no such tonal change.......it's ready to go right out of the case. This indicates to me that a guitars' tonal response to vibration varies from one to the next and that some instruments do, in fact, sound better when "warm". I must also point out that I get the same tonal shift every time I play the 12 fret. Perhaps in time this guitar will retain it's warmer voice when put away, but for now it is a temporary condition that is re-manifested each time out of the case. Your results will most certainly vary.

Edited by Buc McMaster

OP, not suggesting you buy one. But, since I actually do have access to one, I'll tell you what I think. Eh, seems to do no harm. I have an SJ an out of town pal plays whenever he visits. He can't get over how good it is sounding. Haven't told him I used a Tone-Rite on it since his last visit. But then I'm an advocate of torrefied tops also so that disqualifies my opinion here with many. Ask for one as a birthday present or something (worked for me a while back) and see what you think on a lesser instrument first. I just happen to be in process right now on an SJ-200 adi/maple with which I have never been overly pleased or taken the time to play in properly. So, I'll post what I think as to that guitar sometime after Monday 4/2/18. Seems obvious to me the low setting as well as realistic expectations is the common sense way to go on such a device, and on most mods or enhancements - re: pins, saddles, strings, Tone-Rites, less than single malt Scotch, etc.

It’s an interesting gadget, but if any of us play our guitars as often as we should be playing them, surely it’s unnecessary...I’ve not had access to one, but my guitars are all rotated on gigging duty, so between my four six strings they get at least 100hrs a year of live work each (average of between 180 and 220 gigs a year, with set lengths between 90mins and 160mins) plus loads of writing and session stuff, so I’ve never felt the need to seek one out.

I guess if you bought a guitar that had been a case queen for several years and needed waking up, it would be an option...I’d rather just play though!

I went the cheap version and got a $5 aquarium pump from wal mart and stuck some weather stripping foam on the bottom. Cut 6 slots in it for it to sit on the strings. I'm not sold that it did anything but it was a cheap experiment. I only ran it for about a week at a time. Maybe longer would do more, who knows. There's no way I would pay what Tonerite wants for one without any proof of results though.

Did Corbs design apartments? I thought he only did a range of chairs.... :rolleyes:

Well I left the Tonerite on the Blues King lying on the Eames:

wFqyiJ9m.jpg

Got a phone call, came back and look what had happened to the BK:

do0YZtNm.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Upvote 1

I accidentally left a Tone-Rite on in my ultra modern glass and concrete Corbusian designed city apartment.

I went on holiday for 6 weeks.Came back and it had turned it into a Cape Cod Cottage complete with chintz curtains.

I literally just laughed an entire mouthful of rum and coke out of my nose and all over myself at that comment 😂😂😂

I accidentally left a Tone-Rite on in my ultra modern glass and concrete Corbusian designed city apartment.

I went on holiday for 6 weeks.Came back and it had turned it into a Cape Cod Cottage complete with chintz curtains.

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Does the Tone-Rite feature a setting that creates an alpine hut? Just asking... ;)

• Upvote 1

ONLY because I said I would:

Did ToneRite 72 hrs. each on Southern Jumbo and now on SJ -200 (adi/maple) . LOW SETTING, as in followed directions for tone! John Pearse PBs on both.

1. Both still sound like Gibson guitars.

2. Subjective all the way; it's not a miracle worker, but it did do a noticeable sweetening to my ears.

3. Low setting is the tone enhancer. Contrary to some thoughts that setting improved bass on both guitars also.

4. The SJ has held the plus results for two weeks anyway.

Conclusions:

1. Low setting for tone enhancement. High for volume and brightness. I wouldn't go near the high setting.

2. Duration is the variable.

3. Convenient to use.

4. Worth having around at my house anyway.

5. As I said, it's not a miracle worker, but I do think there is something to it.

6. Recommend following the directions rather than just cranking it up to the high setting.

7. Is the ToneRite worth the price? That is up to the individual.

* Take it easy on me men. I'm like really vulnerable! [angry]

• Upvote 1

ONLY because I said I would:

Did ToneRite 72 hrs. each on Southern Jumbo and now on SJ -200 (adi/maple) . LOW SETTING, as in followed directions for tone! John Pearse PBs on both.

Conclusions:

1. Low setting for tone enhancement. High for volume and brightness. I wouldn't go near the high setting.

2. Duration is the variable.

3. Convenient to use.

4. Worth having around at my house anyway.

5. As I said, it's not a miracle worker, but I do think there is something to it.

6. Recommend following the directions rather than just cranking it up to the high setting.

7. Is the ToneRite worth the price? That is up to the individual.

* Take it easy on me men. I'm like really vulnerable! [angry]

Thanks for actually trying it out on a guitar and reporting back, I'll take your word regarding your results. BTW, where was the train picture in your avatar taken?

• 7 months later...

Hey guys - Guille from ToneRite USA here. I figured it would be a good idea to have an open channel to chat and/or answer any questions. I always hated when in forums reps never chimed in so I am going to actually make myself available. But no worries, not trying to sell anything. I meant to be more active in this channel earlier in the year (we love our Gibsons!) but since I took this new position I have had quite some work to do! better late than never.

Thank you all for sharing your comments. We pay special attention to comments and feedback that comes from actual user. 100% of bad comments come from non-users but hey! I respect everyone's point of view and that is the whole point of freedom of speech!!! Nothing but love will come out from our end - we appreciate passionate people in the music community and at the end of the day maybe we can all agree to disagree without the hate.

I will say (and agree) that the ToneRite effects can vary from subtle to unbelievable. This is due to the many factors at play, like type of tonewood, bracing pattern, timber used for such bracing, climate, solid wood vs laminate, etc, etc. But know that in over 90% of the case there is sonic gain to be had from the use of a ToneRite. We have made some key changes this year to our company and Customer service/support is at the top of our list, so if you are curious about what a TOneRite could do for your guitars take our 30 day challenge. No tricks. No questions. if you don't like it simply send it back for a 100% refund. We stand by our products and this is now our way of demonstrating that.

Much love to all and please ask away or share thoughts.

P.S. To those who have bought our products, thank you for your support and for being a valued member of our ToneRite family. Remember you have a 3yr warranty with your device so don't hesitate to reach out for any help.

Warm regards,

Guille

Executive Director - ToneRite USA

• 5 weeks later...

I lit a green latern for this post, just saying.

Hey guys - Guille from ToneRite USA here. I figured it would be a good idea to have an open channel to chat and/or answer any questions. I always hated when in forums reps never chimed in so I am going to actually make myself available. But no worries, not trying to sell anything. I meant to be more active in this channel earlier in the year (we love our Gibsons!) but since I took this new position I have had quite some work to do! better late than never.

Thank you all for sharing your comments. We pay special attention to comments and feedback that comes from actual user. 100% of bad comments come from non-users but hey! I respect everyone's point of view and that is the whole point of freedom of speech!!! Nothing but love will come out from our end - we appreciate passionate people in the music community and at the end of the day maybe we can all agree to disagree without the hate.

I will say (and agree) that the ToneRite effects can vary from subtle to unbelievable. This is due to the many factors at play, like type of tonewood, bracing pattern, timber used for such bracing, climate, solid wood vs laminate, etc, etc. But know that in over 90% of the case there is sonic gain to be had from the use of a ToneRite. We have made some key changes this year to our company and Customer service/support is at the top of our list, so if you are curious about what a TOneRite could do for your guitars take our 30 day challenge. No tricks. No questions. if you don't like it simply send it back for a 100% refund. We stand by our products and this is now our way of demonstrating that.

Much love to all and please ask away or share thoughts.

P.S. To those who have bought our products, thank you for your support and for being a valued member of our ToneRite family. Remember you have a 3yr warranty with your device so don't hesitate to reach out for any help.

Warm regards,

Guille

Executive Director - ToneRite USA

Hi - how very intriguing to hear from you.

We've been discussing this device now and again here over the years and every time the tree seems to fall in both directions.

This, that, how, why, because, aha and so forth. A number of tests on the Tube are positive, yes, , , but could the testers be bought, that kind of speculations, u know.

Haven't tried the T-Rite, but was curious from the start.

Why shouldn't it work - it is after all about vibrations and we all know how guitars/instruments can fall asleep when not being used.

Hall's experience with the SJ 'lasting' for a couple of weeks was not less interesting. Did it just go stiffer again.

Will definitely keep an eye on the topic, but fiddle enough to make my acoustics stay awake, , , eehh, sometimes by playing myself to sleep.

Keep vibrating

E-minor7