Gibson Brands Forums

6000.00 for an SG with false aging

bigtim

... its a Loony Bin Luxury... If a guy has the money he can waste it any way he wants...

I 100% agree with the consensus. But at the end of the day, it is a "limited edition Gibson custom shop" which I think is the biggest driver here. I remember that I thought the Fender Road Worn was a crazy idea ... basically a "low cost relic" guitar. Fender is still making a bunch of money off that idea with many Road Worns still listed as "top sellers" for Guitar Center. And then at then end of the day, as guitar players that take such care of their guitars (my Gibson SG Standard is 40 years old this year), buying something beat up off the rack is just not in our DNA.

• Upvote 3

Gibson and Fender have been producing relic guitars for many thousands of dollars for like a decade now. If there weren't a market for them they wouldn't continue to make them. I'm not sure who these people are that are buying them, but they must exist.

• Upvote 1

I personally don't get the whole reliced thing these days with guitars. And you pay a lot more for someone to ding up the guitar. The claim is that it breaks in the guitar or something like that... I can do that myself, thank you. And MAYBE, just MAYBE I get the relicing on the fretboard, but to needlessly scratch up the body's finish... I have guitars that look nearly brand new that are over 20 years old, and they are definitely broken-in feeling when you play 'em. Overall, to each and to their own I guess. I always feel that if that's what you want, go for it. My opinions are just that and no one has to listen to mine. Relicing is just not my gig for guitars. Mostly, I just don't buy what the claim is for purposefully dinging up a guitar... and I do just fine damaging my own guitars aesthetics msp_biggrin.gif

• Upvote 2

I personally don't get the whole reliced thing these days with guitars. And you pay a lot more for someone to ding up the guitar. The claim is that it breaks in the guitar or something like that... I can do that myself, thank you. And MAYBE, just MAYBE I get the relicing on the fretboard, but to needlessly scratch up the body's finish... I have guitars that look nearly brand new that are over 20 years old, and they are definitely broken-in feeling when you play 'em. Overall, to each and to their own I guess. I always feel that if that's what you want, go for it. My opinions are just that and no one has to listen to mine. Relicing is just not my gig for guitars. Mostly, I just don't buy what the claim is for purposefully dinging up a guitar... and I do just fine damaging my own guitars aesthetics msp_biggrin.gif

If the claim it is some kind of "breaking in", that's the sorriest attempt to justify it I've heard yet. It does nothing to break in a guitar.

Nice to be in some rational company here. I see the problem to be that someone wants to buy what is earned. They are pretenders that want the end without taking the trip. They want to look like they did something they didn't do. Real wear is cool. That's why they want it. Fake wear is damage, but nobody wants to own up to it. They'd rather live in a fantasy.The only trouble is, the market get flooded with broken dreams competing with real, tangible experience.

Edited by Wmachine
  • Upvote 2

Paying 6 grand for a guitar that looks like its beat up seems a bit crazy to me. When my Gibsons started getting worn out looking, I sold them and got pristine virgin guitars that I could put my own dents, scratches and watch the nitro finish check naturally...

Extra note .... I did look at getting a Stevie Ray Strat, but only so I could have a left hand tremolo on a right hand guitar..

Edited by mihcmac

If I'm paying that much I want one of the old cardboard cases with a broken handle, and duct tape holding it together as well.

Bad Gibson!

it's $8500 Canadian ..at that price I can get an original 1967 SG.....so ya......don't get me wrong Gibson custom shop stuff is great...but at that price I would rather have an original.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Yeah, the aging thing is not for me. But, if someone thinks it looks cool, go for it. They do seem popular though.

Another justification for it is an artist that has a real vintage instrument that they don't want to take out so they get one that they use as a replica. Bonamassa is known for playing his vintage guitars out but it depends on the circumstance. There are times when he uses RI's instead. That seems reasonable to me.

Edited by Black Dog

I used to think manufacturers were wrong to offer such over priced products. But they are just taking advantage of market place that isn't logical. Its really on the customer base. Not that I endorse or think its a product that needs to exist for me. Demand gets filled by someone. I showed friend who is a non Guitar savvy person a new pristine Gibson and one of the aged beat to crap versions. And showed him the price difference. WTH? He didn't get it either. But some still do. I have come let the blame for the price premium directly on the consumer. If they didn't pay it it would not get made or sold. If it makes them happy I can still think they are crazy buying one.The manufacturer has their reasons and the customer has the desire and the cash. Two sides make a market

Since y'all are in some kind of state of denial, there's no sense of me enlightening you as to why young and inexperienced people buy guitars that make them look like they're old and experienced.

They want a guitar that looks like Stevie Ray's, like as if they're playing that thing 12 hours a day, right? They're really playing some video game all day, farting up their parents' house and asking their mom to do their laundry. [laugh]

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

My 1981 Gibson "The V" has quite a bit of wear from being played every day for hours a day since I got it in 1984. I've played a few hundred shows with it and it's been from one side of the country to the other. That kind of wear can be faked but I prefer the real thing. I take great care of my guitars but stuff happens. I'd much rather do it myself and have real wear than fake wear. I sure wouldn't pay $6000.00 for a fake relic job on a guitar. But to each his/her own. I just prefer the real thing.

I get the relic thing and have no gripe if that's what you prefer. However, and IMO, this is perfectly in keeping with the Gibson "bizzaro world" pricing of nearly all their products. Extra bizarre though as the SG seemed to be the only reasonably priced "real Gibson" guitar left in their line up (compared to LP's and hollow/semi-hollows). :mellow:

Custom Shop = Custom price. [tongue]