Gibson Brands Forums

Strings - Nut - Saddle - Pins - They are essential to TONE!

nodehopper

Has anyone tried these? http://cgi.ebay.ca/Jellifish-Hot-Rod-Colored-Acoustic-Guitar-Bridge-Pins-/290531443403?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43a50602cb

My freshman electro acoustic is blue and i toyed with the idea of a set of these but dont want to ruin the tone. My other thought is to buy rosewood or ebony, possibly boxwood replacements.

• 4 weeks later...

a comparison of coated and uncoated strings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyUtmPGrZjI

I have tried the elixrs for the last couple of months and have come the complete circle. I prefer the non-coated as I feel the brightness is needed with my rosewood instruments. If I were inclined to purchase an SJ 200 in maple I might use the coated strings.

Well in this case it was clear this AJ really NEEDED the brigther strings rather than coated or uncoated. The Pearse strings Im guessing were PB's and they downriht made that guitar sound like it was stuffed full of socks, just aweful.

The 80/20's brought it completely alive and great sounding,so for me its more like brighter vs warmer strings, and for rosewood I found you really NEED brighter strings for it to shine.

a comparison of coated and uncoated strings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyUtmPGrZjI

I have to admit that I don't like Elixir coated strings. I may be in the minority here as I know Elixir has a devoted following here. One thing to be sure of is Elixir makes two coatings the Nano-web and Poly-web. The Poly-web coating is much thicker and I think these strings would only be useful for recording when string squeak needs to be held to an absolute minimum. So if you do want to give Elixirs a fair try .....make sure you get the Nano-webs.

I do love the Elixir strings on my electric guitars.....they go for a year or so before I think of changing them!

I have tried the new Martin "Cleartone" coated strings and still not sure about them yet. I do like D'Addario EXP coated strings. They are a little flexy but they seem like uncoated strings other than they last for months.

I always think of strings as spices on food. As they say in recipes "let simmer and season to taste"

• 3 weeks later...

OK, count me as one of the converted! I had been reading about all these people with with their bone nuts (sounds painful), saddles and pins.

I'm thinking, "how much difference can it make?". I had Taylors and they came with Tusq nuts & saddle. They sustained forever.

My SWD, which I've had since last summer, sounds great. Well, you know how it is, you keep reading over and over how great something is and you finally decide, "I want that".

So my curiosity got the best of me. After some research, I decided I could install my own bone saddle. I went to Bob Colosi's website. People rave about this guy on the forum.

I had a look around and called him. Really nice and helpful guy and he's from my neck of the woods so we talked a little sports.

At this point I decided to only change the saddle as it seems this will affect the greatest change in sound.

A couple of days later the saddle arrives. Directions that come with it are very easy to follow.

I think it took less than a a half hour before I was playing the guitar with the new set up. I didn't change the strings as they are EXP's and not old, plus I got a better feel for a before/after comparison.

Really HUGE difference! Much more sustain. More focused and articulated sound. It brought out a richness in tone which wasn't there before.

Mind you, I loved the sound of this guitar before but it is much better now. [thumbup]

OK, count me as one of the converted! I had been reading about all these people with with their bone nuts (sounds painful), saddles and pins.

I'm thinking, "how much difference can it make?". I had Taylors and they came with Tusq nuts & saddle. They sustained forever.

My SWD, which I've had since last summer, sounds great. Well, you know how it is, you keep reading over and over how great something is and you finally decide, "I want that".

So my curiosity got the best of me. After some research, I decided I could install my own bone saddle. I went to Bob Colosi's website. People rave about this guy on the forum.

I had a look around and called him. Really nice and helpful guy and he's from my neck of the woods so we talked a little sports.

At this point I decided to only change the saddle as it seems this will affect the greatest change in sound.

A couple of days later the saddle arrives. Directions that come with it are very easy to follow.

I think it took less than a a half hour before I was playing the guitar with the new set up. I didn't change the strings as they are EXP's and not old, plus I got a better feel for a before/after comparison.

Really HUGE difference! Much more sustain. More focused and articulated sound. It brought out a richness in tone which wasn't there before.

Mind you, I loved the sound of this guitar before but it is much better now. [thumbup]

Hey Classic ...glad you had a nice big gulp of the grape Kool-Aid !! [flapper]

I just recently acquired a Martin 000-28EC (which is possibly the best guitar I have ever played) and ordered the bone pins with 4mm Ebony inlays from Bob Colosi and not only do the pins look really classy, but made a superb guitar even better.

I think considering how low cost and reversible bone pins saddle etc is ....it is well worth trying.

Hey Classic ...glad you had a nice big gulp of the grape Kool-Aid !! [flapper]

I just recently acquired a Martin 000-28EC (which is possibly the best guitar I have ever played) and ordered the bone pins with 4mm Ebony inlays from Bob Colosi and not only do the pins look really classy, but made a superb guitar even better.

I think considering how low cost and reversible bone pins saddle etc is ....it is well worth trying.

Couldn't agree more! I guess I (foolishly) thought guitar builders would deliver instruments to the customer equipped to sound their best...NOT

• 2 weeks later...

my 2 pennys go to........it's all what the player wants to get out of it. we all want a certain sound that is what we want. my Gibson j100 to me is so what i call earthy sounding-the best sound out of any guitar i ever played. and after owning it 16 years i want it a little bright now. it seems to be getting more and more mellow yet fuller or richer. but after a while i want it just how it is. always consider trading it for a small body to get the sound i want today, but know will miss the sound have now. for me, liking what i got. instead of altering it.....just need to add 1 more guitar to the family

my Gibson j100 to me is so what i call earthy sounding-the best sound out of any guitar i ever played. and after owning it 16 years i want it a little bright now. it seems to be getting more and more mellow yet fuller or richer.

After 16 years, it's possible your hearing has deteriorated (a normal aging process), and that the loss of brightness is due to your ears, not the guitar.

After 16 years, it's possible your hearing has deteriorated (a normal aging process), and that the loss of brightness is due to your ears, not the guitar.

I guess that's possible, in fact probable. haha Thanks for not just saying I'm old. hahaha. I broke it out again yesterday and today...sad to say, I'm gonna have to let her go. Just too big to enjoy anymore. Been searching small bodies and would rather trade than sell. But, will be putting my J100extra-c up for sale or trade soon. Be hard to part with though.

Listed it today in trading post

I guess that's possible, in fact probable. haha Thanks for not just saying I'm old. hahaha.

At 62, I would never call someone else old! [biggrin]

Btw, I know my high frequency hearing now stops at about 11khz and I suspect my sensitivity at lower frequencies is diminished also.

I tried a new brand of strings on my Montana Gibson Hummingbird the other day they were recommended by a friend and they are awesome sounding so far, I am really impressed with them. {John Pearce} Phosphor Bronze Medium Gauge, .013 - .056, 700M the bass is balanced and the meds are woody the highs are tingly went from real good sustain to Fantastic sustain thought I would mentin it as they my be others that could benefit from them as well!!!

bone top to bottom...I've used corian to nice results as well.

for strings, NOTHING, to my ears or touch, comes close to thomastik infeld. The "Spetrum" set is monster on both my Bird and 165. For a "softer" feel on an older instrument (instead of silk and steels) check out the "Plectrum" sets. They're more expensive than most but they DO last me about 3X as long! For an arch-top...the Jazz sets seem to be preferred. (never tried them though so I can't speak from experiance.

In the last year or so I've gone from the orange Tortex to a heavier purple...which I couldn't quote the thickness as I sit here. May be 2.0?

Have you had mids on the HB before ? If not the additional tone youre talking about might not necessarily be from the string brand but simply from putting 13's on the Gibson. I know that both my mahogany Gibson dreads sound massivelly better with 13's then with 12's.

I tried a new brand of strings on my Montana Gibson Hummingbird the other day they were recommended by a friend and they are awesome sounding so far, I am really impressed with them. {John Pearce} Phosphor Bronze Medium Gauge, .013 - .056, 700M the bass is balanced and the meds are woody the highs are tingly went from real good sustain to Fantastic sustain thought I would mentin it as they my be others that could benefit from them as well!!!

I changed the nut, saddle, and bridge pins on my 08 J45 MC. Here are the notable differences to my ears.

1. Increased volume

2. Improved note clarity

3. Greater sustain

4. A little brighter (When it was changed over I tried a new brand of strings which I have sense replaced – the add brightness may have been from the new strings)

I would do it again in a heart beat!!

chasAK

• 4 weeks later...

So, after all the discussion here about the merits of bone pins and saddle, I decided to fit them to my 000-28EC.

I bought the pins - 2A, and bone blanks from Stew-Mac. Using an online radius gauge, Dremel multi-tool, and a sharp pencil

I cut my own saddle. The bridge pins do stand proud somewhat, as I was told they would - normal for Martin!

So, was it worth the effort and cost? Absolutely it was! It has improved tone, volume, and overall sound without doubt.

I am now going to do the same with my 45s.

So, after all the discussion here about the merits of bone pins and saddle, I decided to fit them to my 000-28EC.

I bought the pins - 2A, and bone blanks from Stew-Mac. Using an online radius gauge, Dremel multi-tool, and a sharp pencil

I cut my own saddle. The bridge pins do stand proud somewhat, as I was told they would - normal for Martin!

So, was it worth the effort and cost? Absolutely it was! It has improved tone, volume, and overall sound without doubt.

I am now going to do the same with my 45s.

I did the same to my 000-28EC and agree it improved tone and string to string clarity. I personally sanded my pins so they sit down ..I don't like the looks of the standing way up pins like Martin does them OEM.

Congrats on your "modifications" !!

Thanks Nodehopper.

Update...... I took the pins off the 000-28EC, and have temporarily put back the TUSQ pins.The reason is I cant live with the bone pins sticking up so much!!

So, I put the pins on my J-45, and a new bone saddle, restrung it and a great result. I am going to get pins for the 000-28 that seat lower down.

All in all, I am sold on this minor modification which to my ear has produced a major change.

I did the same to my 000-28EC and agree it improved tone and string to string clarity. I personally sanded my pins so they sit down ..I don't like the looks of the standing way up pins like Martin does them OEM.

Congrats on your "modifications" !!

I have a 2007 000-28 EC, which came with bone nut and saddle, but plastic (presumably) pins. I added Colosi bone pins. The recommended 2A size sits even more proud than the OEM pins, so I spent some time taking them down individually by hand, as Colosi says you will need to do. It isn't that hard, and you can seat them at any height you want. I marked them individually for each string position as he recommends, but that isn't really necessary if you fit them carefully, and have a relatively new guitar whose pin holes haven't been damaged by years of abuse by "pinheads". :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I changed the nut, saddle, and bridge pins on my 08 J45 MC. Here are the notable differences to my ears.

1. Increased volume

2. Improved note clarity

3. Greater sustain

4. A little brighter (When it was changed over I tried a new brand of strings which I have sense replaced – the add brightness may have been from the new strings)

I would do it again in a heart beat!!

chasAK

Well, I am now officially in the club! (Yay, me!) I brought my maple J100 Xtra home today after having a Colossi nut and saddle put on. (Is there a secret handshake I should know about now??[biggrin] )

The verdict? Definitely louder (which I would not have thought possible) and excellent clarity and sustain.

At present, I'm hearing quite a bit of brightness--more than before, I think. But...at least two other things might be adding to that effect: I've been away from home--and guitarless--for nearly two weeks (abstinence makes the ear grow brighter??), and the new D'Addarios need some time to settle in. (I usually use DR Rares; they lose the new-bright zing much faster in my opinion than do the D'Addarios, which I also use from time to time.)

At the moment, the brightness is almost masking the mellow low end I'm accustomed to hearing and seems to be muting the chimeyness up the neck (esp capo'd) that I have come to know and love, but I really do think these are "brand new string" effects more than anything.

I suspect, too, that the action is a tiny tad higher than it was when I took it in. But, given the grooves that were worn into the old saddle (yikes!), I'm sure the string-break angle is more uniform at the very least. If so, I suppose that, too, could account for some of the added volume and sustain.

Regardless, whatever minor adjustments were made, the action is still low (like I like it) so I'm a happy camper. [thumbup]

I'll work those strings in some more tomorrow and report back, but if no one hears from me for awhile, it's cuz I can't put 'er down. I, too, would do it again in a heartbeat. [smile]