Gibson Brands Forums

First Gibson - 1993 Les Paul Studio

mscuil

Hello and thanks for all of the helpful posts that I have read through over the years of being a guest. This is my first post, as I traded in my PRS SE 245 Nick Cantanese for a 1993 Les Paul studio in alpine white. I had played frequently in college, including lessons, but sold my Telecaster to pay rent. I have been using my Epiphone Hummingbird Pro for the past year but kept getting the itch to play electric again. I went to my local guitar center and got a great deal on the PRS SE which was beautiful and played well. However, the EMG pickups just did not sound right for the different genres, blues for example. Now I realize I suck still, but I wanted to start with a more versatile tool. I saw the Les Paul at another local GC and drove to try it out. After noodling for an hour or so, I walked out without the PRS and with the Gibson.

I have been playing it nightly for the past few days, as I was worried that i was feeling a placebo effect. The guitar just seems to make me better. Maybe I am crazy but it feels better, and I sound better. I love the damn thing. My question for you all, is that currently there is a sale, 25% off the new studios and Traditional. Would it be worth trying out the new studio for a few hundred more? From reading, it seems the 90's were pretty good quality, and I know I love how it feels. I have 45 days in which I can still get a refund for the studio, and apply it towards something else if I want. I am unsure how long the sale lasts.

Also, I ordered a creme toggle washer/poker chip to match the rest, but boy i do love the look of the gold pickup covers with black rings.

I look forward to reading your opinions, thanks!

-Marc

24548032078_526a7cb0f2_c.jpg20171112_163407 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

26642716309_1846b1b5df_c.jpg20171112_163413 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

38363430896_68f1814ecc_c.jpg20171112_163410 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

It seems like from your statements, this is a very good playing guitar and would not part with it.

It looks like most the hardware, pups, pg and knobs have been replaced, but it seems like for the best in your case.

My problem is that I am not an expert by any means, I just think the LP's neck fits my hand better. I don't have the trained ear to tell if the pups are great and can't speak of intonation. I just want a guitar that I can grow into and keep around. I am torn on trying a new studio just to see how it feels compared to this, especially if mine is a hodgepodge of parts.

My problem is that I am not an expert by any means, I just think the LP's neck fits my hand better. I don't have the trained ear to tell if the pups are great and can't speak of intonation. I just want a guitar that I can grow into and keep around. I am torn on trying a new studio just to see how it feels compared to this, especially if mine is a hodgepodge of parts.

Well you do get some studios with slimmer necks.. The 90s ones usually came with a fat 50s neck..

Donno man.. If you wanna go try a newer one, go for it.. Nothing wrong with gaining that knowledge...

Also if you are new to LPs, check this vid on how to get the best from your controls.

You can always look and play, lusting over guitars never stops.

"Upgraded" parts might not equal 'hogepoge' of parts.

Tone and feel and looks that inspires you to play is were it's at

Best guitar course that takes you from no nothing to advanced player, with note reading and theory background is

https://www.learnandmaster.com/guitar/

Instructor lives in Nashville has a yearly conference too

Hi Marc;

You've already answered your question yourself a few times in your first post....

I have been playing it nightly for the past few days

The guitar just seems to make me better

it feels better, and I sound better

I love the damn thing

It really doesn't get any better than that...so just enjoy the hell out of it!!!!!!!

Johnny

The parts not being original don’t matter if you like the guitar. It’s never going to be collectable so originality doesnt mean anything.

My first LP was a 93-95 (not sure of the exact year but I bought it new in 1995) Studio. I had bought my dad a Classic and loved it, especially the neck so i bought myself a Studio. But i just wasnt happy with the baseball bat neck my Studio had so i traded it in on another Classic.

Sound and lookswise I like the Studio. Mine was black.

If you like your current Studio IMO there’s no reason to trade it in.

If you are interested in trying out the new studios....you definitely should do so. If you find one that suits you more then that's great! You can trade in your old one...or if not, it seems like what you have is great for you already.

Thanks for all of the helpful replies and that video. Seems that I bought a great guitar to continue learning on. I think my biggest hang-up is that it just isn't as pretty with it's mix of silver/gold/white/creme. I have plenty of time to keep playing with it, and even better that I would still be able to exchange it on black friday if any sales strike my fancy.

I also may have ordered a black pick guard, black rings, and black speed knobs (all from Gibson) just to see if i can make it as easy on my eyes as it feels to play. I look forward to all the growth that will happen on my couch with this LP. Heck, my bulldog seems to like it too, as he kept smelling it and hangs out with me whenever I "play"

I took a quick pick but have yet to pull the pups and see what models are installed.

38386752946_ef23f3bcfe_c.jpg20171115_151539 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

You should keep it.

Also as Rabs pointed out, yours has an ebony fingerboard. There are just a couple of modern Gibsons with these now.

Like the Les Paul Ultima at $8,999

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Les-Paul-Ultima.aspx

the above. all the live-long day. you got an ebony board and it looks sweet as helllllll.

it's a studio. paint it if you want. cover it with my little pony stickers. by modifying it, you won't kill value it doesn't have, the way a more expensive model might. if the guitar feels good in your hands, the looks will grow on you over time.

edit: i would totally bin that pickguard though

edit: i would totally bin that pickguard though

Yea I think once the black rings come in it'll look even better. For now it does help.

24599607728_8eeacb61a2_c.jpg20171116_181904 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

He is always around when it's out. Unfortunately it's hard to keep him away from smelling it and getting drool everywhere.

38415683696_2153fa1530_c.jpg20171116_182045 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

So it hardly shows in the photo, but the finish has a lot of swirls and pick marks, I am sure due to it's age. Anyone have a recommendation on a polish that could potentially fill them in?

24599609508_929003ab02_c.jpg20171116_181954 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

• Upvote 1

...I don't have the trained ear to tell if the pups are great...

My advice would be not to change any p'ups until you know what sounds/genres the existing ones can and can't handle.

As the bridge p'up is clearly some Seymour Duncan variant I'm guessing the person who swapped it/them out probably had a pretty good idea of what he/she wanted the guitar to sound like. SD's are generally well-regarded so until such time as you have a far greater understanding of what you want just leave these in. In any case (and as JB sort-of demonstrates) most p'ups can be made to sound good with judicious use of the vol/tone knobs...

...it hardly shows in the photo, but the finish has a lot of swirls and pick marks, I am sure due to it's age. Anyone have a recommendation on a polish that could potentially fill them in?...

You have to be fairly careful with Gibsons as they use Nitro as a finish instead of Poly.

Most folks here swear by Virtuoso Cleaner / Polish;

http://www.virtuosopolish.com/

Lastly;

Nice-looking Studio! With black plastics (and, IMO, a pair of gold p'up covers) it will look even better!

Play long and in good health!

Pip.

Most folks here swear by Virtuoso Cleaner / Polish;

http://www.virtuosopolish.com/

Lastly;

Nice-looking Studio! With black plastics (and, IMO, a pair of gold p'up covers) it will look even better!

Play long and in good health!

Pip.

I checked out the Virtuoso cleaner and polish and ordered them both. I had some Gold Gibson pickup covers on order which I cancelled when it occurred to me that they may not fit the pups, and even then, the silver polepieces would show. That is why I was planning on going with a 498T/490R set or the SH-PG1 set (I too love the factory gold look).

Thanks again for all of the helpful replies!

I checked out the Virtuoso cleaner and polish and ordered them both. I had some Gold Gibson pickup covers on order which I cancelled when it occurred to me that they may not fit the pups, and even then, the silver polepieces would show. That is why I was planning on going with a 498T/490R set or the SH-PG1 set (I too love the factory gold look).

Thanks again for all of the helpful replies!

Good choice on pickups (498T/490R set). These sound great in my 2015 LP Custom - nice, rich sound.

It won't hurt anything to try out other guitars. I love all four of my Gibsons and they each have a unique sound but play similarly on the neck and fretboard. I still go out every few weeks and play other Gibsons, just to play them. The guys at the music stores I go to call me "the Gibson guy" because I go in and play all their Gibsons. I occasionally pick up a few others. If and when I find another guitar I really love, it will come home. I think putting the black plastics on that guitar will make it look amazing and gold pickup covers will be the icing on the cake, so to speak. I wouldn't worry about the little scratches and dings too much because you can't see them in the picture. You might try that polish and see if you can buff some of the swirls and pick scratches out but if not, the guitar looks great. I love the white Les Pauls with black plastics and gold hardware.

Don't go overboard with everything all at once. Chances are the SD's are great, just like you shouldn't buy another guitar because MAYBE it could be even better than this one that you love. I can TASTE the OCD, even on the other side of the world, and that's just because I'm just like that myself.

What a great pic with the dog!! Love bulldogs. And the guitar looks AMAZING without the pickguard. I wouldn't change a thing. Even the gold hardware works... LAMF... And the ebony fretboard contrasts nicely against the Alpine White.

It won't hurt anything to try out other guitars. I love all four of my Gibsons and they each have a unique sound but play similarly on the neck and fretboard. I still go out every few weeks and play other Gibsons, just to play them. The guys at the music stores I go to call me "the Gibson guy" because I go in and play all their Gibsons. I occasionally pick up a few others. If and when I find another guitar I really love, it will come home. I think putting the black plastics on that guitar will make it look amazing and gold pickup covers will be the icing on the cake, so to speak. I wouldn't worry about the little scratches and dings too much because you can't see them in the picture. You might try that polish and see if you can buff some of the swirls and pick scratches out but if not, the guitar looks great. I love the white Les Pauls with black plastics and gold hardware.

My problem is I keep drooling over pictures of the customs, haha. I am going in tomorrow just to noodle around as I had not tried any classics, standards, etc. If I were to spend a tad more to get the 490/498 set, it would still be far less expensive than the custom, but a few hundred more could get me into a standard. Then a few hundred more could get this, etc etc, until I end up with a guitar worth more than my life. [rolleyes]

I told myself that I would wait for the plastics to come in and try those on before I make any rash decisions financially.

If you are leaning toward the 490/498 pups, you can probably find a set with the gold covers (that would have been originally on the guitar) being sold on ebay. You could probably get a pretty good deal. It seems people either love or hate that pairing of pickups so you can take advantage of someone who is not a fan and selling theirs. I happen to be a big fan of those pups. [thumbup]

• Upvote 1

If you are leaning toward the 490/498 pups, you can probably find a set with the gold covers (that would have been originally on the guitar) being sold on ebay. You could probably get a pretty good deal. It seems people either love or hate that pairing of pickups so you can take advantage of someone who is not a fan and selling theirs. I happen to be a big fan of those pups. [thumbup]

So a GC about 100 miles from me has a 96' Studio in Alpine White, but has the original gold hardware and pups. Same price as what I paid so I am tempted to drive out and try that. It LOOKS like ebony, but unsure.