Gibson Brands Forums

First Gibson - 1993 Les Paul Studio

mscuil

So a GC about 100 miles from me has a 96' Studio in Alpine White, but has the original gold hardware and pups. Same price as what I paid so I am tempted to drive out and try that. It LOOKS like ebony, but unsure.

I re-iterate: don't fix it unless it's broken.

• Upvote 1

If you are leaning toward the 490/498 pups, you can probably find a set with the gold covers (that would have been originally on the guitar) being sold on ebay. You could probably get a pretty good deal. It seems people either love or hate that pairing of pickups so you can take advantage of someone who is not a fan and selling theirs. I happen to be a big fan of those pups. [thumbup]

good point, imo

and very true. i love the way they sound when other people play them. i cannot seem to get that same sound from them, and have better success with other pickups. at times, you can get them for insanely good prices if you're patient and quick. like a craig's list trap door spider.

My creme poker chip arrived today, while i was at GC trying a standard and a traditional. I think this looks tons better, but I will also try with the black plastics once they arrive.

I was so so tempted at a LP Supreme in white that had a headstock repair. It was still $1500 however. I figured I would save my money and make sure I stick with this, and down the road, if i keep progressing and don't just let the studio gather dust in it's case, then I will treat myself.

26728848959_6a104e1135_c.jpg20171118_115844 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

• Upvote 1

Spent some time on the LP today and I think it turned out great.

Pulled the pups that came on the guitar:

24752589008_e28a7da805_c.jpg20171124_145307 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

Started the install of the 500k cts pots and orange drops (free with the pups):

37907719524_0cfd3c77e9_c.jpg20171124_161231 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

37737097565_a4a5112b2d_c.jpg20171124_174338 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

26849098949_8c99921b33_c.jpg20171124_174319 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

I also returned the Marshall Code to get something with less options, as I spent more time messing with the presets than playing. This amp was over $200 off, and sounds super clean. I am pretty happy so far.

38568834346_4e37b2f0cd_c.jpg20171124_180338 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

Im not that much of a fan of gold hardware but that turned out pretty good [thumbup]

Id say that's a keeper :)

Get a Standard one day.. But always keep that studio. I used to have one from the early 90s (my first Gibson), it was also a studio but a wine red one, and also had an ebony board.. I wish id never sold it on now.

The Schaller locks arrived so I installed those today. I used the screw that was on the guitar, but had to drill out the nut a tad.

37774889845_fcf404af0e_c.jpg20171126_145654 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

24789979328_f4373f3cea_c.jpg20171126_151501 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

26886126789_21a75922ca_c.jpg20171126_151506 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

I have also been playing with the new amp.

37944797324_6a514b6c55_c.jpg20171125_195911 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

Does anyone have any suggestions for a series of lessons? I have been learning scales and songs just to get my fingers strengthened and callused. I am able to "noodle" for quite some time now, but would prefer a direction rather than hopping around on youtube. I typically enjoy classic rock, but also enjoy just about every genre I can think of. Heck, I have been working on some Chuck Berry...

I simply love this guitar...

Does anyone have any suggestions for a series of lessons? I have been learning scales and songs just to get my fingers strengthened and callused. I am able to "noodle" for quite some time now, but would prefer a direction rather than hopping around on youtube. I typically enjoy classic rock, but also enjoy just about every genre I can think of. Heck, I have been working on some Chuck Berry...

I simply love this guitar...

Cool :) I like it when we get a happy ending on here..

As for lessons well id find a local teacher... Tell them what you want from it and a good teacher will tailor the lessons to that.. I also saw Fender are offering lessons.. Not tried it though so cant say how good or not it is.

https://www.fender.com/play

I have a set of the Gibson Learn and Master guitar series for sale on eBay right now. The one or two I watched seemed pretty good, but my son didn't want to watch them...

I won't post the link, but if you want I'll PM you the information.

I have a set of the Gibson Learn and Master guitar series for sale on eBay right now. The one or two I watched seemed pretty good, but my son didn't want to watch them...

I won't post the link, but if you want I'll PM you the information.

I believe this is the same. The man is dressed to the nines, with red back-lighting and candles. I felt like I was on an awkward date watching. Maybe I can master the guitar sensually. Good lesson though!

24816940628_d37a645cab_c.jpg20171127_190356 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

That course has 20 dvd's and 5 jam a long cds.

That looks like the original version. He played multiple guitars then.

A deal with Gibson had the whole lesson set refilmed with only Gibson guitars and they dropped the candles and blue light.

Tab in that course goes away quickly. And teaches theory and music reading as well.

Up to session 9 makes you a basic intermediate player.

Session 10 and above expands playing skills

Cool :) I like it when we get a happy ending on here..

As for lessons well id find a local teacher... Tell them what you want from it and a good teacher will tailor the lessons to that.. I also saw Fender are offering lessons.. Not tried it though so cant say how good or not it is.

https://www.fender.com/play

Checking into different lessons, thanks for the suggestion.

Let's call it a "happy beginning".

What a great pic with the dog!! Love bulldogs. And the guitar looks AMAZING without the pickguard. I wouldn't change a thing. Even the gold hardware works... LAMF... And the ebony fretboard contrasts nicely against the Alpine White.

I am telling you, he seems obsessed with the LP and my picks. Maybe smells like another dog or something from the previous owner but the picks are mine. Hopefully he starts dancing one of these days. I'd settle for a head bob.

37823655715_4f066f811a_c.jpg20171128_193926 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

26935692079_9e8a87529b_c.jpg20171128_193943 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

• 3 years later...

I have a 1993 gibson les paul studio. It is in showroom condition absolutely pristine with all original parts. It has a hard case which has protected it over the years. An absolute beauty that has only been played a handful of times. How much is it worth?  

7 hours ago, Lee james said:

I have a 1993 gibson les paul studio. It is in showroom condition absolutely pristine with all original parts. It has a hard case which has protected it over the years. An absolute beauty that has only been played a handful of times. How much is it worth?  

Lee James, 

According to Fjestad's Blue Book, your 1993 Gibson Les Paul Studio, in Mint Condition, is worth $1,050 in US Dollars. 

Values vary by market, city to city. 
But that price would be the beginning of any reasonable negotiation with a potential buyer. 

Where do you reside, and what color is the finish on your awesome guitar?

🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 2