Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Has Serious Quality Control Issues AGAIN !

Bluesy69

Wow... this thread is tiring to read... I'm old, I know... LOL.

I've been many times to the Memphis factory since its opening in 2000... 20 minutes from my home. I seem to remember that they can crank out between 400 to 700+ guitars/day. It's a mass production factory and they try to sort out wood to various quality for the various models.

I've enjoyed all my Gibsons and don't have any problems that I cannot fix. I suppose it could be luck. However, if you are not happy with your purchase, return it or get it fixed, spend more of your money to get what you are expecting. I suppose many buy guitars with a certain expectation for the money they spend.

Life is just too short to spend time complaining on forums. If you don't like it... return it, don't buy it, or spend more to get what you want and expect. Expectation for $ spent is relative to each one. msp_smile.gif

Wow... this thread is tiring to read... I'm old, I know... LOL.

I've been many times to the Memphis factory since its opening in 2000... 20 minutes from my home. I seem to remember that they can crank out between 400 to 700+ guitars/day. It's a mass production factory and they try to sort out wood to various quality for the various models.

I've enjoyed all my Gibsons and don't have any problems that I cannot fix. I suppose it could be luck. However, if you are not happy with your purchase, return it or get it fixed, spend more of your money to get what you are expecting. I suppose many buy guitars with a certain expectation for the money they spend.

Life is just too short to spend time complaining on forums. If you don't like it... return it, don't buy it, or spend more to get what you want and expect. Expectation for $ spent is relative to each one. msp_smile.gif

the bottom line to this, are some people, are just NEVER EVER frikken happy.

One of my ex-coworkers used to say about our times doing IT support together... "Users! They'd complain if you hung em with a brand new rope!"

I've got about 20 guitars, all but 2 were purchased new. Was everyone PERFECT..

nope.. Heck! nothing in life is. There's a limit where you just gotta let it go, and play the stupid thing...

Yet these threads pop up a lot, and they get tiresome...

• Thanks 1

I agree also but as far as on-line I agree it offers a needed service of supplying what you cant find in person, that was ALWAYS an issue with purchasing a electric. I can remember growing up playing in the tri state area and your more likely to find what you want here than anywhere, yet its simply not always the case you will find exactly what you want when your ready. Compare that to elsewhere and its significant in regards to supply and demand-quanity.

Absolutely in person is preferred since admitting all guitars are unique it admits implicitly you may purchase the same better sounding guitar in person or on-line. But you wont know with on-line because you didn t play it. [confused]

Which is why I rarely buy a guitar "on line!" I'd rather drive the 100 miles, to my dealer, and try out

any prospective purchase, ahead of time. But, with a good return policy, you have a decent chance of getting

what you want, "on line," eventually. So...??? But now, since my dealer quite recently dropped Gibson and Epiphone

(except for Gibson Acoustic's), I'm pretty much stuck, going "on line," these days! So, "Sweetwater" would be my first

choice, for that. Although, I've never really had any problem(s), with Musician's "Fiend" either.

Whatever get's you what you need. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Hey finding perfection isnt easy with like models. Truth be told you may have the most beautiful playing and looking guitar in the world TO YOU, but it may just simply not sounds as good as ________ the next one. Same with the 59s.

As far as unique, a distinction is required. However with the case of two LPs a distinction still exists in relation to degree of a original 59 and a production LP, with not just QC but tone and guitar to guitar? So in theory a brand new LP can look better play better sound better AND be QCd better than a 59, only thing missing is the magic dust and aging.

Hey have a good time anyway! [biggrin]

That said Im not trying to slight anyway Im merely conversing/coffee. Dont take my ramblings too serious but there may be something to think about. That said Charlie I agree I never heard of Captain Kirk either but I sure like the SG "unique" lol

You know at some point relative in comparison is an apparent issue to individuals and probably to the entire concept of individual perfection and year to year. Everyone KNOWS we cant repeat the 59 magic. Hopefully something unique and similar will suffice on a personal level.

LOL hey so WE require perfection, and clearly Gibson is for sure attempting to supply it and at every price point imaginable, but perfection is "relative" and then predicated on unique?

So let me ask a dumb question, how much difference does the aged wood matter and pick-ups in relation to perfection?

Hell we cant agree adjusting poles makes a difference, BUT you can hear the difference of aged wood? I would suggest the PAFS CAN be reproduced and so can the comparative relation to like wood tone.

my last 5 guitars have come from Sweetwater, they've all been very good purchase experiences, these guitars have needed nothing beyond the expected setup/details that every single guitar we buy needs. Did I get lucky? no. probably not..

my last 5 guitars have come from Sweetwater, they've all been very good purchase experiences, these guitars have needed nothing beyond the expected setup/details that every single guitar we buy needs. Did I get lucky? no. probably not..

I hear that, but its a generalization, what I find amusing is the specifics in relation. I'll give you an example. I know a fellow who bought a mismatched top on a 58RI which was common in the 58 transition to a degree expected. The guitar sounds, plays and looks period accurate for sure. But the same five purchases today with someone who expects a perfectly bookmatched top will no doubt think different.

Btw I like Sweetwater for on-line also. You have a better idea of what your buying in relation to the actual guitar and its weight, not so with various other places so it is a good idea to look. The issue here is for example often you can buy the same guitar from MF sight unseen for 15% lower. You may get a mismatched top. [biggrin]

definitely true.. The high res photo gallery that sweetwater (as well as other online merchants) provides for online shopping should leave little doubt on WHAT you are purchasing in that regard. I think if it wasn't for Sweetwater, and their support after the sale I'd have a different slant for online purchases.

Musicians friend is ok, never really had trouble with them - I don't like how the prep things for shipping, it's pretty lame sometimes. IMO, that one place in particular, while good, aren't really up to the standards that Sweetwater seems to hold themselves to.

• 2 months later...

I posted this as a new thread, but since you all spoke of quality. Thought I'd add this to your thread as well. A few weeks ago I decided to purchase my dream guitar that I've wanted since I was a kid... a Gibson Les Paul Standard. After a lot of shopping and research, I ordered a 2017 Standard T in Honey Burst through Guitar Center Lexington Ky. After playing a few weeks, I felt the guitar wasn't staying in tune properly. Upon further inspection, I found a crack in the nut of the guitar in two different places. It's upsetting but things happen so Guitar Center was great and offered a brand new exchange. Well, wouldn't you know it, the next guitar shipped with the very same problem. Gibson support has offered no explanation or help when I contact them. I really want a les Paul standard so, I tried a 3rd time. The next one didn't have a nut crack, but a chip and the supposed AAA flame was a AA at best. Plus at this point I'm so worried that I thought there could be an ongoing nut issue so, I didn't even take it home. I opted to order a bourbon burst standard HP 2017 with the metal zero nut fret (Even though I really want honey burst, but why should I get the color and quality I want for $2500 right?) This was yesterday, I was contacted by GC Gilroy CA, to tell me that my Standard HP Bourbon Burst has a defect and it's the only one Guitar Center can send in the whole US!! What do I do now? Try an order for the 5th time, another guitar? Is this nut issue an ongoing thing other people have experienced? Is Gibson quality so bad now that I should consider buying outside the USA? I'm sad that it's finally come to this and yet another beloved American business is dying. Since Gibson won't respond to me, what do you all think I should do? I have several Fenders already. Should I just go straight for perfection on the first order and buy a Dusenberg? Btw, I have pictures and serial numbers. Plus, probably the most respected Independent Guitar business/luthier, who will remain nameless, contested that the nut was defective. Someone please help! I want my dream guitar!

I ordered my new Les Paul and it finally arrived only to find out, after unpacking it that it had a dark spot in the wood the size of a dime on the flame maple top and the body binding had a big curve in it clearly exposing the paint seam, as if someone came along while the person was applying the binding and bumped their arm.

I can't believe their doing this again it's the mid to late 90's and early 2000's all over again, even the guy's at the guitar store said " Wow I can't believe this was allowed to leave the factory ", and that's their own suppliers talking, luckily I was able to exchange it for another one from the stores distribution center.

Now you might say that I could've got a rare bad egg out of thousands, but this also happened over a month ago when I ordered an ES-335 and it showed up new in box, and it had an indentation in the wood on the neck..

I'm just one person and it happened to me twice in less than two months time.

What is going on over there?, I should've wrote down the final inspectors name, taken a picture and emailed it to him and asked how such an aesthetically flawed guitar got past him.

Well I just hope my replacement is a lot better than previous orders....I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Come on Gibson pay attention to those details.....PRS certainly is.

Buy a chinese copy or an Epiphnone my friend .....

:D :lol: :D :D

• Upvote 1

I posted this as a new thread, but since you all spoke of quality. Thought I'd add this to your thread as well. A few weeks ago I decided to purchase my dream guitar that I've wanted since I was a kid... a Gibson Les Paul Standard. After a lot of shopping and research, I ordered a 2017 Standard T in Honey Burst through Guitar Center Lexington Ky. After playing a few weeks, I felt the guitar wasn't staying in tune properly. Upon further inspection, I found a crack in the nut of the guitar in two different places. It's upsetting but things happen so Guitar Center was great and offered a brand new exchange. Well, wouldn't you know it, the next guitar shipped with the very same problem. Gibson support has offered no explanation or help when I contact them. I really want a les Paul standard so, I tried a 3rd time. The next one didn't have a nut crack, but a chip and the supposed AAA flame was a AA at best. Plus at this point I'm so worried that I thought there could be an ongoing nut issue so, I didn't even take it home. I opted to order a bourbon burst standard HP 2017 with the metal zero nut fret (Even though I really want honey burst, but why should I get the color and quality I want for $2500 right?) This was yesterday, I was contacted by GC Gilroy CA, to tell me that my Standard HP Bourbon Burst has a defect and it's the only one Guitar Center can send in the whole US!! What do I do now? Try an order for the 5th time, another guitar? Is this nut issue an ongoing thing other people have experienced? Is Gibson quality so bad now that I should consider buying outside the USA? I'm sad that it's finally come to this and yet another beloved American business is dying. Since Gibson won't respond to me, what do you all think I should do? I have several Fenders already. Should I just go straight for perfection on the first order and buy a Dusenberg? Btw, I have pictures and serial numbers. Plus, probably the most respected Independent Guitar business/luthier, who will remain nameless, contested that the nut was defective. Someone please help! I want my dream guitar!

It sounds mostly like Guitar Center QC. You'd think they'd inspect the stuff they get in but they're more about quantity over quality. I've worked at two music stores and have a good friend who owns a music store. If something comes in broken, they don't sell it and send it back. Stuff happens during shipping sometimes. Usually minor things like that are covered under warranty and if you like the guitar, that's the route I would have taken. I'd make Gibson make it right. I don't count on Guitar Center for much of anything other than to check out different products in their store. I had a problem with the PCB in my brand new Les Paul. I called Gibson, they sent me to GC for warranty support. After much BS and a month and a half of more BS, they finally fixed it. I don't know what happens from the time it goes into inspection until the time it's shipped nor what happens during shipping. I'm sure other major manufacturers have similar quality issue if they're producing many thousands of products. Look at all the factory recalls on cars, the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 and other major purchases. Many of them will make it right but it's sure disheartening when you pay that much money for a musical instrument, expecting perfection for the price and then there's something wrong. Stuff happens.

And, Gibson will certainly respond to you if/when you email or call. I've called them four times since February and I got a live human being who spoke English every single time.

• 8 months later...

[biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Pictures ???

[flapper][flapper]

Here are some pictures of my brand new J45 Standard for you guys to look at. Different model guitar? Sure......... same poor finish as being discussed here?........ I’d say so. Take a look and decide for yourselves. £2199 UK pounds. It also buzzes like hell, the retailer says he’d see if he can fix that but why should he need to and do I want to live with the flaws? I haven’t been so excited to receive a parcel at any other time in my adult life. So so so disappointed with this guitar. It’s being picked up and going back on Tuesday. I want to love it but it’s over. It’s not me, it’s her.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/164629457@N06/

Drock: Couldn’t you have just had GC or your tech replace the cracked nut on the first or second Honey Burst Les Paul? Seems like a really simple cheap fix that would allow you to keep your desired guitar. I wouldn’t sent back a guitar with a cracked nut I would replace it. If I was really upset i’d have GC pay to replace the nut. But I wouldn’t send the guitar back. Thats just me though. A $2500 shouldn’t have a cracked nut but we’re talking about a $10 part ruining your whole experience.

• Upvote 2

Here are some pictures of my brand new J45 Standard for you guys to look at. Different model guitar? Sure......... same poor finish as being discussed here?........ I’d say so. Take a look and decide for yourselves. £2199 UK pounds. It also buzzes like hell, the retailer says he’d see if he can fix that but why should he need to and do I want to live with the flaws? I haven’t been so excited to receive a parcel at any other time in my adult life. So so so disappointed with this guitar. It’s being picked up and going back on Tuesday. I want to love it but it’s over. It’s not me, it’s her.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/164629457@N06/

99% of your pics show things that wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I couldnt agree with you more. Looks like a sweet guitar to me.

That’s why it’s up here, all opinions are welcome. There are playability issues too but you guys are in the minority here. It’s my first Gibson so I really didn’t know if this is a normal standard of finish. That’s why I put it out there on a couple of topics...... to get honest and frank opinions. Consensus is that it’s a mess and needs to go back though. The dealer actually called me and agreed that it’s not great, offered me a refund or a swap. I said I’ll let you look at it first and see if you can sort out the playability and get her singing. It’s being picked up on Wednesday, I’ll let you know how he goes.

Thanks for taking the time guys, much appreciated.

That's why it's up here, all opinions are welcome. There are playability issues too but you guys are in the minority here. It's my first Gibson so I really didn't know if this is a normal standard of finish. That's why I put it out there on a couple of topics...... to get honest and frank opinions. Consensus is that it's a mess and needs to go back though. The dealer actually called me and agreed that it's not great, offered me a refund or a swap. I said I'll let you look at it first and see if you can sort out the playability and get her singing. It's being picked up on Wednesday, I'll let you know how he goes.

Thanks for taking the time guys, much appreciated.

If you're not happy and the dealer is willing to work with you, then you have nothing to lose. I'm glad you can put the issue behind you.

The cosmetic stuff didn't bother me personally, unless in that one pic that is a ding in the finish and not part of the grain. I'm not much of an acoustic guy, but I think the buzz could have been taken care of by the dealer. Once again, you have a dealer that's more than happy to work with you and getting you another guitar is what you prefer, problem solved. Unless you get another lemon.

Let us know how it works out.

Hey Jungel.

Sorry to hear you're having these issues.

I think I'm sort of with the others, I am not sure much of what I see would kill the deal for me. (The buzzing, yea..)

in fact one of the pics looks like bear claw, whichin the wood grain, maybe it's just the photo there, but not seemingly a finish flaw per-say. Luck of the draw with who ever selected the top.

In the other photos, I also would have been ok with.

Do you suppose the buzzing is probably setup? Acoustics definitely all need a proper setup when new.. perhaps there are some humidity control/regulation problem too?

About the buzz tho.. is it fret noise, or sth else?? the reason I ask, and this could not be at all related, but it is strange how these noises can pop up where least expected. I bought a new Taylor 514 classical a few months ago and noticed this really annoying rattling sound when I hit certain notes. I took the battery out and it stopped. Using some electrician tape, I secured the battery to the holder and BOOM, annoying buzz/rattle gone. For a few minutes though I was starting to wonder what the heck was going on, it was very noticeable.

I hope you get a solution you are happy with tho. Nothing is a quicker buzz kill than ordering a new axe, and it arrives with all kinds of issues you have to sort out. Even if it's an exchange, as long as the story has a happy ending. Let us know what happens next.

Hey thanks. I’ll get it sorted one way or another. Funny thing though. I put the same link up on the Gibson acoustic part of this forum and the consensus was it’s a dog. Send it back.

I’m away on a course for work in Aberdeen today. A town with a Gibson dealer. I went in after work and had a look at a J45. Holy **** it’s different to mine. Beautifully finished. Headstock, area round nut, top, the soundhole and fretboard end and ........ the sound. That’s what I expected from a £2000 guitar. Now mine definitely won’t be coming back home to me. The one I saw this afternoon makes mine look like a discount store reject.

Hey thanks. I'll get it sorted one way or another. Funny thing though. I put the same link up on the Gibson acoustic part of this forum and the consensus was it's a dog. Send it back.

I'm away on a course for work in Aberdeen today. A town with a Gibson dealer. I went in after work and had a look at a J45. Holy **** it's different to mine. Beautifully finished. Headstock, area round nut, top, the soundhole and fretboard end and ........ the sound. That's what I expected from a £2000 guitar. Now mine definitely won't be coming back home to me. The one I saw this afternoon makes mine look like a discount store reject.

Ha!! You made the right decision.

(Note to self, do not follow the advise about an acoustic from an electric guy)